Street Magic (kind of)

Nov 12, 2008
Hey, I was wondering if there was any hardhittting visual magic I could should my friends at school. The only problem is that they are sort of hecklers and are familiar with the basics (double lift, eardnase, etc) If anybody has a good effect than please tell me. Thanks

-nikhilg

Nov 12, 2008
Hey, I was wondering if there was any hardhittting visual magic I could should my friends at school. The only problem is that they are sort of hecklers and are familiar with the basics (double lift, eardnase, etc) If anybody has a good effect than please tell me. Thanks

-nikhilg

Courage is not just a virtue, it is all the virtues put to the test.

Nov 12, 2008
Thanks but I dont really see the effect in a link or anything. So can you please tell me what the effect is.

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
It's a joke. I pointed you towards the search engine so you can find threads that have talked about this a billion times before.

Be happy - i'm saving you before THE BIG P comes here and bites your head of and uses it for a Sybil Variation.

I'm sure he knows what i'm talking about ;)

GW

Jun 30, 2008
If you know the basics, it should come easy, maybe dont do a double lift, but do a trick that involved it. Practice more is the key and they wont spot it, honestly, dont show them, practice till your sick of practicing, then practice some more

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
LOL, a Sybil Variation...

Well, normally I would go on a rant about how it's actually more detrimental than helpful to simply ask for "the best" tricks - because what suits me almost certainly doesn't suit you, and it simply leads you to perform the same old thing. Which is all true.

I think though that in this case, you shouldn't be asking for ideas for effects exactly. What it sounds like you need is diversity of material. I can assure you that no laymen will ever say they're familiar with the TumbleGem Switch, or the Whiskers Split. Don't get me wrong - it's fine to have Ambitious Card Routines, and so on. In one sense, you may want to explore different ways to pull off your effects - try learning Derren Brown's Velvet Turnover for example, where the spectator can actually turn their card face down, but by the time they have done so, it is a double, and their card is now second from the top - this can be used instead of a double lift for those who know such things.

Essentially, that example was a branch off of my main point - it's fine to have ACRs, etc., but you still want to have some variety, some effects which are different, and use different types of moves rather than the most common ones. My recommendation would basically be to look through some books - find some books you think you'd like, look around for some reviews, or ask for some opinions here - and then buy a good magic book. There is no better way to find diversity of effects nowadays. Not only does this provide you with more information, it allows you to find rarer information, a greater arsenal of sleights and effects, and I think this would greatly allow you more freedom when performing for your friends.

This is not to say that you should never perform another double lift for these friends. Of course, you need to keep working on them - and some of the tricks you find, will of course require double lifts. But when you progress onto more diverse routines with more diverse sleights - it's the same as performing for magicians. Many will see many of your moves - but it's still possible to fool them. Just because every magician knows a double lift, doesn't mean you shouldn't ever perform a double lift, and just because every magician knows a double lift, doesn't mean they've never been fooled by a routine with a double lift in them.

Aug 24, 2008
Greece
LOL, a Sybil Variation...

Well, normally I would go on a rant about how it's actually more detrimental than helpful to simply ask for "the best" tricks - because what suits me almost certainly doesn't suit you, and it simply leads you to perform the same old thing. Which is all true.

I think though that in this case, you shouldn't be asking for ideas for effects exactly. What it sounds like you need is diversity of material. I can assure you that no laymen will ever say they're familiar with the TumbleGem Switch, or the Whiskers Split. Don't get me wrong - it's fine to have Ambitious Card Routines, and so on. In one sense, you may want to explore different ways to pull off your effects - try learning Derren Brown's Velvet Turnover for example, where the spectator can actually turn their card face down, but by the time they have done so, it is a double, and their card is now second from the top - this can be used instead of a double lift for those who know such things.

Essentially, that example was a branch off of my main point - it's fine to have ACRs, etc., but you still want to have some variety, some effects which are different, and use different types of moves rather than the most common ones. My recommendation would basically be to look through some books - find some books you think you'd like, look around for some reviews, or ask for some opinions here - and then buy a good magic book. There is no better way to find diversity of effects nowadays. Not only does this provide you with more information, it allows you to find rarer information, a greater arsenal of sleights and effects, and I think this would greatly allow you more freedom when performing for your friends.

This is not to say that you should never perform another double lift for these friends. Of course, you need to keep working on them - and some of the tricks you find, will of course require double lifts. But when you progress onto more diverse routines with more diverse sleights - it's the same as performing for magicians. Many will see many of your moves - but it's still possible to fool them. Just because every magician knows a double lift, doesn't mean you shouldn't ever perform a double lift, and just because every magician knows a double lift, doesn't mean they've never been fooled by a routine with a double lift in them.

Great answer praetoritevong, You included everything i wanted to say and more....

(this is just my opinion - so....you know what I mean.)

For my impromptu performances I use Tivo 2.0, Subway, Card to Mouth from the Trilogy, Stigmata, Mercury Aces, ACR, and Out of This World.
It's fun to have variety of tricks that don't rely on just double lifts, glides, and other well known sleights. I doubt that your friends have heard of the Spread Control, FLOOP, or the 4 for 4 switch (unless they patrol these forums or are complete magic nerds).

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
It's fun to have variety of tricks that don't rely on just double lifts, glides, and other well known sleights.

By well-known, I hope you're not talking about being well-known to laymen, because I don't know of any sleights that would be considered "well-known" to laypeople. And even if they did know of the sleight's existence, hopefully you do it well enough for them not to recognize it.

Sep 2, 2007
Hey, I was wondering if there was any hardhittting visual magic I could should my friends at school. The only problem is that they are sort of hecklers and are familiar with the basics (double lift, eardnase, etc) If anybody has a good effect than please tell me. Thanks-nikhilg
If your friends know how to do those things, then you must've done them poorly.Try using some heckler proof tricks like there's a 6 card mind reading in the RRTCM and spelling tricks work really well.Or use ridiculously hard sleights so they can't figure them out

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results