Street magic routine elements

Jul 3, 2011
Oregon
Hey guys, so I have been performing for a while and I feel as if I am ready to move my performances up to actually performing on the street. My only issue is building a good routine that I can perform on the street. I'm not asking about what tricks I can perform, but what to look for when building an effective street routine. What goes into a good opener or closer in street magic perhaps? What are the key elements behind a good routine?

Jan 22, 2012
Audience Participation: Like borrowing items or asking for help. It helps set in their mind what you're actually doing is real magic.

Also a good routine depends on your type of style. Like if you're trying to be all mysterious and stuff then don't have like corny magic things.

A good opener would be Dresscode.

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
When you say performing on the street, do you mean like a busker putting on a show or do you mean more like David Blaine?

Oct 8, 2011
Baltimore
Like ArmanMagic said, getting the audience involved in the magic is crucial.
the way I think a good street routine should be set up is:
1. opener- something flashy and/or loud, not even neccesarily magic but something that will get peoples attentions to form a crowd
2. the core of your routine- should be a solid visual peice with an easy to understand explanation that involves the audience
3. the ending - a solid demonstration of magic that should center on you using minimal props, and you should hint that the show is over, say, "for this last thing Id like to try, I neeed everyone to move back", or something to that effect

as a side note you should always have an extra incase you see that the people watching will appreaciate more.

just my thoughts

Oct 23, 2011
A really good opener for me , would be Blindsided by Oz Pearlman . Gets audience attention easily .
For a closer , i recommend an effect that leaves your audience with a souvenir .
:D

Jul 3, 2011
Oregon
When you say performing on the street, do you mean like a busker putting on a show or do you mean more like David Blaine?

More like David Blaine, because I need to get passed my current plateau and actually start approaching people and performing for complete strangers.

Jan 22, 2012
I agree with heatedjeans that your closer should be something that leaves the spectator with a souvenir, it doesn't have to be a hard core souvenir, but something that when they look at it they will remember you.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results