Strongest Mentalism Effects?

Jun 4, 2009
Hi I have read alot on the subject of mentalism and really only a few seem to have that "real" feel for both me the performer and the spectator. The effects that I have discovered that fall into this category are

Believe - Aaron De'Long
Derren Brown - Invisible Deal
The Grail - Mike Rose
Memory Opener - Sal Piacente
Ramjollock - Ben Earl
Mental Voyage - Ben Earl
Diplopia - Paul Vigil
Dee Christoper - Anate
Extractor - Peter Nardi (I use this as a peek method which is very deceptive and i also have the card appear in my wallet as a prediction placed there earlier (so not signed) and the wallet i use is the real mans wallet which i cant recommend enough)
My Home made peek wallet (for word, picture, number revelations)

I was just wondering about your oppinions on what mentalism effects that you concider to have this real/impossible feel to them to expand my knowledge and repetiour

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 24, 2008
Greece
Well in my opinion nothing beats d+M's MEMENTO:afterlife. I have tried other effects but nothing seems to be so clean and so F***ING hard-hitting. (by the way i use a psychologiacal force backed up by a powerful sleight ,which you can find in ONE and other products of Daniel's].

George

Oct 11, 2007
I love to use Touching On Hoy by Luke Jermay. With the right presentation, it is the BOMB! Stigmata by Wayne Houchin rocks too for mentalism!

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Hi I have read alot on the subject of mentalism and really only a few seem to have that "real" feel for both me the performer and the spectator. The effects that I have discovered that fall into this category are

Believe - Aaron De'Long
Derren Brown - Invisible Deal
The Grail - Mike Rose
Memory Opener - Sal Piacente
Ramjollock - Ben Earl
Mental Voyage - Ben Earl
Diplopia - Paul Vigil
Dee Christoper - Anate
Extractor - Peter Nardi (I use this as a peek method which is very deceptive and i also have the card appear in my wallet as a prediction placed there earlier (so not signed) and the wallet i use is the real mans wallet which i cant recommend enough)
My Home made peek wallet (for word, picture, number revelations)

I was just wondering about your oppinions on what mentalism effects that you concider to have this real/impossible feel to them to expand my knowledge and repetiour

Thanks

Hate to rain on your parade, but most of those aren't mentalism effects.

Ramjilock is a mental card effect.
Believe is a Prediction effect
Extractor is pretty much a regular card effect (card to pocket)
Memory Opener is mental card effect.
The Invisible Deal is a mental card effect (which is why Derren Brown put it on a DVD for MENTAL card magic.)

Jun 4, 2009
Hate to rain on your parade, but most of those aren't mentalism effects.

Ramjilock is a mental card effect.
Believe is a Prediction effect
Extractor is pretty much a regular card effect (card to pocket)
Memory Opener is mental card effect.
The Invisible Deal is a mental card effect (which is why Derren Brown put it on a DVD for MENTAL card magic.)

Just because cards are used dosent Rule the effect out from a mentalism one. Myabe in your oppinion cards shouldnt be used in mentalism but they are nevertheless mentalism effects

•Mentalists - The term mentalist refers to entertainers whose performance appears to be based on "psychic" abilities, featuring the ability to read minds

1. Ramjollock is a MENTAL card effect
2. Believe is a PREDICTION effect (meaning that you were able to predict something before it happened)
3. I stated my use for the extractor making it a PREDICTION effect
4. Memory Opener is a MENTAL card Effect
5. Invisible Deal is a MENTAL card effect too.

emagician - Love touching on hoy! Great effect for stage performers :) soooo cheeky lol

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
Randy

Mentalism is the apparent ability to read minds. Just because an effect uses playing cards does not mean that it is not mentalism. The Invisible Deal is one of the best pure forms of mentalism I have seen with a deck of cards. Ramjollock for me is kind of a hit and miss, it is a great effect in methodology and great for magicians but for laymen it is a bit much. Also predictions and memory demonstrations are two of the biggest types of effects you can do in mentalism. Even if they use some deception method they will still be perceived as the real thing.

Jordan101

By your original post it seems that you want to look for things that rely on methods that are the same as what you are trying to do. The only question I have is why? If your audience perceives you to be doing the real thing why should you care? At the end of the day it is your audience's not your opinion of what you did that is important.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
It all comes down to the presentation. Darren Brown can take the most basic effects and completely blow your mind with principles you already know.

I would say his version of the Oracle act (seen on 'An Evening of Wonders' if I'm not mistaken) was the most mind-altering thing I've ever seen.

Darren Brown Evening of Wonders Part 5, 8 Minutes in starts The Oracle Effect, watch the entire evening as 'the box' is pretty mind-blowing as well.

My girlfriend kept asking how he did this stuff, I told her "He's Darren Brown honey, I really can't say..."

::My favorite line, "Out loud, I'm not a f**king mind reader"

-Rik
Enjoy

Again, anything you can present and clearly state that you have no psychic powers-and people don't believe you (yeah, they choose to believe everything you've done except the truth...) is a good enough effect to perform as a mentalist.

:)

Jan 13, 2008
WOW really? Thats definatley worth looking into then! I have read great things about this! I think you've just nudged me into taking the plunge and buying this :)

Cheers
Just to note, that was the company who produces/sells the effect, so they may be a little bit biased. ;)

But, I do agree that it is a GREAT tool for mentalism. It's by far one of my favourite (mentalism-related) gimmicks. It's easy to use, and so deceptive, yet so powerful. Definitely a great tool. :)

Jun 4, 2009
Just to note, that was the company who produces/sells the effect, so they may be a little bit biased. ;)

But, I do agree that it is a GREAT tool for mentalism. It's by far one of my favourite (mentalism-related) gimmicks. It's easy to use, and so deceptive, yet so powerful. Definitely a great tool. :)

Lol. Ok. Thanks for the heads up. And I agree. Derren Brown is the absolute master of presentation! a wonderfull demonstration of his dressing up a simple method can be found on the Andy Nyman Lecture DVD. You almost want to believe the method is fake and derren is doing what he claims to be LOL

Jun 4, 2009
D ICE R. Thanks for your input! I'm not too concened what the effects seem like to me. I should have been clearer. I mean how I would percieve the effect as if I were a spectator. All of the tricks I mentioned Would absolutly Fry me had I not known the methods. Also I am a firm believer in the fact that spectators arent as "dumb" (for want of a better word) as we assume they are and things that we assume will fly by sometimes dont.

Just my oppinion though ;)

I'm not looking for tricks with current methods that I already know its more a thread whereby people can list and discuss the effects they believe are the strongest mentalism effects they perform and why.

PS - Randy, "Last October I saw the best card trick I have seen in years. What is noteworthy is the effect was done without any cards. In truth the demonstration is not actually a card trick, but perhaps a mouthdropping display of what looks like and feels like the powers of a real mindreader or a seer..." (Invisible Deal) Barrie Richardson, Genii Magazine.

J

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
Sean

Later in my post I said predictions are one of the most amazing things that a mentalist can do. I don't really do a lot of them for no real reason it is just I like my performances to feel almost improvised so prediction effects to me seem a little contrived.

Jordan

I agree that audience members have a basic understanding of sleight of hand or other methods. They may not know how a pass works but they do could figure it out. I recommend you look into Get Nyman by Andy Nyman. A lot of the effects use heavily gaft decks but the real power of watching Andy work is how natural he is this in-turn makes a lot of the 'moves' completely invisible.

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
Sean

Later in my post I said predictions are one of the most amazing things that a mentalist can do. I don't really do a lot of them for no real reason it is just I like my performances to feel almost improvised so prediction effects to me seem a little contrived.

Haha, wow total negative hallucination, didn't see that part, thanks man :)

- Sean

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results