Style

Oct 24, 2008
Savannah, GA
The one phrase uttered more than "(insert name here) should be the new T11 artist!" is, "it's a great trick, but... not really my style." Such a foul, contemptible, irritating phrase (harsh feelings born from overuse) has not seen the light a day in what is surely a record-breaking number of millennia. But what is it, really? Your style? The knee-jerk response is that, of course, it's a combination of what you like and how you perform. But what about deeper, deeper still?

First and foremost, the phrase, "it's a great trick, but it's not my style" is a completely unnecessary addition to a review. It tells the forum: "I have a set style, and this trick does not fit its parameters." What does that achieve? I don't think there's that many here who are known for our magic or performance to others on the forum. Our tastes and choices don't come up too often. If you're setting a scale for us to abide by, you're failing - about as much as people who rate tricks with numbers (especially the abominable decimals, which serves no purpose other than adding a period between two numbers). When you tell me a trick doesn't fit your style, you are contributing zero. Instead, erase that sentence and go in-depth: why not? What about it doesn't fit right with you? Do you not feel the presentation can be adapted to fit your needs? Explain. Because right now, it just sounds like you want attention. It's about as useless as telling everyone what you're practicing in your signature.

It just seems so, so much like we all just want recognition of our magic. We're peddlers of a very rare form of entertainment, which naturally leads to monopolies on whatever it is we choose to display with the art. Almost everyone is bound to be unique. We're all just waiting for our soapbox. Including me: notice how this is slowly leading into a sly attempt to nab that same bit of attention but without the blatant guilt?

So, here it is: your soapbox. Talk about your style. No, this isn't a "How do you perform" thread, because style, vague as it is, is so much more than that. It's over-generalized and made a summary, but it's such a detailed look into you as a magician.

1. Trick Selection.
Do you only do impromptu card tricks and flourishes (and claim you're able to blow your spectator's mind and twist their reality with what is obviously a display of dexterity?) Why? Do you mix one or two pieces of mentalism in, and occasional flashy bit of weirdness? What is it about mentalism that drew you in, and what made you decide not to devote yourself whole-heartedly? Do you shun gimmicks because you think you have immaculate sleight of hand skills and don't know how to ditch a gimmick? How has that decision shaped the rest of your performance?

(I'm being harsh here out of parody and fun, so don't be offended. I'm sure we all have something to laugh at ourselves about.)

Point being, why do you pick the tricks you pick? What draws you to them? do you alter what you buy to suit your needs? What are the must-haves in an effect? What is worth wasting $35 on? (or pounds, or whatever freak money you British people spend). If you can't elaborate and link this answer to multiple aspects of your artistry, try thinking it over until you can. Doesn't such an important question deserve a well-thought out answer?

Do you notice an overwhelming similarity between your response and other peoples'? If so, why do you think that is?

2. Character.

Who's your character? Don't say "yourself", because that's a lie: if we all played ourselves, we'd be saying, "I'm really just doing this with the card when I get your attention up here. I bought this off the internet." No, you add something to your character, even if it's just, "I'm going to show you sleight of hand and psychology" (if ever an overused approach existed) - even if you say that, you're adding an appearance of a sly con man. Do you just do yourself? If so, are you actually interesting enough to hook the spectators in (since we should all sell ourselves before the tricks, and no that's not sarcasm)? Do you add a splash of theater and invent a character (well, we all do, but do you really get into it)? Are you David Blaine's Mysterious Stranger? Are you Criss Angel's pseudo-supernatural freak man? Are you Daniel Madison's cool and shadowy figure? Daniel Garcia's charismatic showman? Wayne Houchin's gentle display of the bizarre? You can mix the two - be yourself, but be yourself with flair. Be the only you. Be the unique you. Don't be the you that resembles all the other "you"-s out there.

Danny's a good representation of himself, mixing indulgent humor, you-and-me-inside-jokes, fun, a certain degree of kindness, and that moment of sincere concentration when he's about to show you something truly amazing. That's him, but amplified. You get the idea.

Have you invented a figure entirely? Are you a headache-prone mentalist or a Derren Brown-esque eager, this-is-so-amazing-I've-got-to-show you performer? Do you live in the moment and let it swell to astonishment? Who are you while performing? How do you sell yourself to a crowd? How has performing magic changed your character? What are your character's goals, hobbies?

3. Presentation.
What is magic, when you're presenting it to your audiences? Psychology and dexterity? Okay - do you find that a bit anticlimactic? Do you think you're spoiling the illusion and admitting it's all just tricks? Have you put a spin on it the way Derren Brown spun mentalism, and put some original thought behind it?

Is it really supernatural to you? Are you Uri Geller? Can you present anything without looking ridiculous? Do you cast aside the eye-rolling and forge ahead and change peoples' minds, maybe slightly?

How about saying nothing, and letting the spectator decide? Is that what you're all about it? Do you just shut up and stand idly by, or do you guide them towards astonishment in-between reaction and falling emotion? Do you develop any sort of connection with your spectator when you present this amazing feat of impossibility, but don't acknowledge it as if it didn't happen? Can you suspend disbelief?

Ooh! Do you blow peoples' minds? Do you make them question reality? Do send their imagination into overdrive? If so, how do you do this? We're talking the same sort of emotional state that people use to start religions, lead cults, and terrify grown, rational men - you can wield that power! Great! Let's hear about it. What material do you use, for starters, because I'd like a piece of that action. Such a state of mind needs nurturing and guidance, or else it could create spiritual, emotional, or if you're good, even mental damage. How do you do damage control? When you change someone's reality, what they hold dear, where are you taking them and what are you doing with them while they're there?

These are but a few of the qualities Style covers. If you've got a few minutes, why not think it over and answer? What are you really saying when you say, "It's not my style?" Maybe you'll find a few new things that ARE your style.

Unless the thread isn't your style (I'm saying it here so no one else gets to - HA!)

Dig deeper into that magical persona of yours. Who are you, really?

Oct 2, 2008
UK
Jinai.deviantart.com
Really good topic toyrobot *applaud* Very good!

If possible, could you first start by giving us an introduction of Style to you, and how you have adapted it, in your magic, and presentation? Would love to hear from you.

BTW - the comment bout freak money wasnt necessary. kthxbai.

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
Okidokes then.

1. Trick Selection

I generally opt for the more 'connecting' trick per se - When I peroform I try to create a kind, sincere and friendly connection with the spectator. I also enjoy working without gimmicks, pulleys and such - I find their a nuisance to drag around :rolleyes:.

And Im a forgetfull bastard, so Ill probably leave it in my drawer as I rush out for the bus.

2. Character

Im quite the eager, friendly performer. That is, Im usually well dressed, for the cold and for the image; and I try to light a small flame between me and a spectator. I take advantage of the cold climate of Norway to create a friendly, yet distant persona.

I add effective, yet simple mentalism to my performance - pieces such as Ben Earl's thought of Card to Pocket, as well as simpler, more involving effects, such as Eric Ross's Election. Pieces that can create bonds between people, that can put a smile on someone's worried face.

That is what I aim for.

3. Presentation

When I...show an effect, I try to create a memorable moment with the spectator, I steer away form the Dan and Dave notion of perofrmance, but i'm not so distant as Daniel Madison. I show the spectator something interesting - something I think he'll enjoy.

"do you see it move...do you...I can't explain it"
*smiles*

or

"Do you feel it, getting lighter"
*pinches spectators hand between two fingers and moves it slowly up and down*

"a little...yes"

"Well you should, because im doing this!"
*casual laugh*

It is difficult to convey the idea of my persoan through a short message, but I think I can end by sayign that my characteristic persona has been influenced by the likes of Benjamin Earl, Wayne Houchin, and Derren Brown.

Gustav

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
I mainly like impromptu tricks and will use some stacked tricks when it's really good.

I want my audience to be amazed. I don't want trick that they can't follow along with. I like straight and to the point magic. Visual stuff too.

Also, i am a huge fan of kicker endings. Where you do one magical thing and then reel them back in and amaze them again.

When i find a new trick, i try doing it to my self first. And then i try it on my parents or friends. If i'm not having a good time performing the trick, if i'm not liking the slieghts used, i know the trick is not for me.

What tricks are my style? Biddle trick, Trumphs, Impossible Sense, Blindsided, Big deal, Hofzzy Osbourne, Card to Box, Card thru Table, Deja vu, Fiber Optics, 3 Coin Mystery etc.

Stuff that's not m style? Two card monte, Exile, Believe, Card at any number, Elizabeth IV, Oil and Water, Mind Reach, Coins Across, etc.

First and foremost... you are a wordy mother. And that's saying a lot coming from me. But with that said, I'll step upon the soapbox which was so graciously presented...

TRICK SELECTION
I'm in love with effects using small props. Why? I like bringing people in close to me just so they can see what I'm doing. For instance, when I'm doing walkaround at a cocktail party or banquet, I strive to make my presence in the room known by a small crowd huddling close together to watch my material. The visual of a huddle around a magic effect is an appealing one to me.

Also, I think "organic" describes the majority of the material I perform. I like the idea of picking something up off a table or the ground and being able to use it in a small miracle. Situational magic hits so hard in the right circumstances. It also makes for a personal effect for the spectators. By doing magic with a prop in their immediate surroundings, it feels like a custom-made performance. I think it makes it more memorable.

An ideal example of what I enjoy doing is the effect Paper Chase from the Art of Astonishment series. I borrow a cocktail napkin and tear it into quarters. I roll each scrap into a small ball and perform a visual Chink-a-Chink assembly routine with them. In the end, I completely restore the torn napkin and roll it into a paper rose for the spectator to keep. It's quick and visual eye candy that uses something small of the spectator's. It also leaves them with a memorable souvenir of the event. I love this stuff.

CHARACTER
Admittedly, I may only be saying this because I'm currently re-reading Derren Brown's book, but I feel like I am the type of person who wants to ensure he's remembered for sharing something special. I want to make magic something mature that adults can experience and enjoy. Although I try to make my set as family oriented as possible, I still try to separate my material from the cliche children's performer at all costs.

I'm good-hearted and sincere. I openly do free shows for charities. I advertise that a lot. I think it makes my character more acceptable and easier for audiences to warm up to. I genuinely care about what the audience thinks of me. I make a conscious effort to satisfy them. So with that-- I'm not edgy or hip by any means. I'm not necessarily "street."

To be honest, I love Paul Harris' image. If I could get away with it at the functions at which I'm hired, I'd adopt it in a heartbeat. I love the look of a scrubby bohemian being able to produce raw miracles. It's refreshing.

PRESENTATION
This is difficult... I try to make the audience aware that I view magic as a legitimate performance art. It's one rarely publicized or seen, so I try to build off that appeal. I tell them I view magic as an art and my individual pieces solidify my opinion and-- hopefully-- they share the same thoughts in the end. If I can get the audience to believe they've witnessed an artist of sorts, I've accomplished my mission. I want them to not only be amazed and admire what I do, but I want them to actually be appreciative of it as well. Like a good song or theatrical production. I think I value the longterm memory of the event moreso than the immediate reactions, so I try to present my material in such a way that the way they remember things will always be more spectatcular than anything I could ever do.

With that, I also try to involve the audience in different stories without them necessarily knowing it. Structurally speaking, all the major effects I perform have a resilient conflict that needs to be resolved. I allow the audience to work with me in order to come to that fulfilling conclusion. I use magic as story-telling, I guess... but everyone involved is a main character.

...I give up. I hope I (accurately) touched upon what I enjoy doing. Can't help but feel as if I failed to an extent. Whatever. This thread's not my style.

RS.

Oct 24, 2008
Savannah, GA
Really good topic toyrobot *applaud* Very good!

If possible, could you first start by giving us an introduction of Style to you, and how you have adapted it, in your magic, and presentation? Would love to hear from you.

But then, how will I sit back and judge?

I tend to shy away from cards for a multitude of reasons: for one, I rarely find card magic that I feel has a magical kick instead of a "I'm good with my hands" appeal to it. This is just me and my overly critical gaze, mind you. A few exceptions I enjoy are Paul Harris' Anything Deck, his handling of the Invisible Palm, and a small handful of Daniel Madison's stuff - his simpler card mentalism tricks. This really chops the market in half for me, as most magic out now is card magic.

So, after my automatic resizing, I look for whatever's weird. That's my trick selection: I want something weird. Geek magic is a soft spot of mine, as I adore anything involving blood. I'm looking for something with a simple plot, yet with a bizarre ending. Wounded, everyone's favorite: Stigmata, Thread all have bloody or surprising endings. Then, beyond that, just whatever's really out there, really unpredictable: Ladybug, though I don't own it, is high on the "Buy It" list. Most Paul Harris material, the quirky stuff like Chocolate Coin, Counterfeit Spectator, Torn and Restored Quarter, it all fits right in.

As a guilty pleasure, I'm a big fan of billet work. It doesn't have to be weird, I just like handling billets. Can't really express why. On top of that, I dig direct mentalism just for the impact it has.

My overall performance them is "redefine". I try to redefine the notion of magic to those I perform for - people who have probably never seen magic up close (or at all), and have the Vegas Headliner image stuck firmly in mind. That's also part of the reason I nix the cards, since a lot of people hear you're a magician, see the cards, and put two and two together. I want tricks that are magic, but not something you'd immediately think of. The whole theme of the performance is to redefine what's possible, what magic is, and who this person is you recently met. If that can influence any of my tricks, I go for that: anything that changes or reshapes, for example.

Also, bizarre magic - the actual genre, where they tell stories and utilize strange props. Docc Hilford and Caleb Strange are favorites (speaking of which, the stuff from Garden of the Strange is a perfect example of the weirdness I'm looking for). Seances, voodoo demonstrations, Alpha Project-esque chicanery, all that fun stuff.

My character is a journeyman, an explorer in search of the weird in life. He's bored and curious, and sets out to meet interesting people and explore the oddities of the world. When there's a news story about a strange new breed of sea life, my character's very interested, and seeks to tell everyone around him. He's up to date on urban legends and folklore, he believes it when people say they've seen extraterrestrials, he wonders if there really are faeries over in the Scottish countryside, and he sprinkles salt around his bed before going to sleep. He's friendly, well-read, loves to meet people, and secretly hopes whoever he's talking to is as infatuated with the bizarre as he is. He loves storytelling. He has a lot of strange quirks and phobias.

Imagine Luna Lovegood from the Harry Potter books, only stretched to an amazing extreme, and you've got my character.

It's not so far from the actual me. While in reality I don't entertain thoughts of the paranormal and remain quite skeptical, I love to imagine the possibilities. I like sci-fi and fantasy stories and plots just for the creativity and sheer fun of it. I have a real interest in folklore and urban legends, yes I love to tell and hear stories, and yeah, I've got a few quirks and weird phobias that I heavily exaggerate just to enhance the character. He's me, just turned up a few notches - me having fun, letting my imagination loose to pound my logic into submission.

As far as presentation goes, I like to really meet who I'm performing for. I want to get to know them, consider them friends before I show them magic. I ask a lot of questions and we trade stories, all the while discreetly searching and fishing for presentational hooks to whatever's available. I want the magic to come towards the end, after a real connection has been made. Throughout it all, I've been noting what the person responds to and what they may believe, what might sound amazing to them (noting, and just cold reading) and if they demand an explanation - really, really demand it - then hopefully what I've picked up on will be a satisfactory answer. The magic almost comes off secondary; miraculous events that have context in the discussion. It's being organic, but instead of with nearby props, with nearby thoughts and stories.

BTW - the comment bout freak money wasnt necessary. kthxbai.

Your terrible currency isn't my fault. What do you have, quid? That's not even a word.

Im quite the eager, friendly performer. That is, Im usually well dressed, for the cold and for the image; and I try to light a small flame between me and a spectator. I take advantage of the cold climate of Norway to create a friendly, yet distant persona.

It's not a perfect example, but when culture infuses with magic, it's a beautiful thing. Taking local and cultural conditions into account for your magic gives it a sort of regional, honest feel - it doesn't feel manufactured or from some store. It feels... homey.

Imagining that image right now, with the cold and the candle, it's something I'd like to experience first hand.

First and foremost... you are a wordy mother. And that's saying a lot coming from me. But with that said, I'll step upon the soapbox which was so graciously presented...

You know, I'm usually very tactful and optimistic, usually very easygoing. But it's fun to pick at magicians - we're a strange group. Our shopping lists alone could be comedy gold to the uninitiated. There's someone around here with that in their signature, something like,

"Do you sell cotton thread? I need 100% cotton thread"
"What's wrong with polyester?"
"It hurts my eye"

So, it's all in good fun. Just a little self-parody.

Also, I think "organic" describes the majority of the material I perform. I like the idea of picking something up off a table or the ground and being able to use it in a small miracle. Situational magic hits so hard in the right circumstances. It also makes for a personal effect for the spectators. By doing magic with a prop in their immediate surroundings, it feels like a custom-made performance. I think it makes it more memorable.

The trade-off is, the more situational your stuff is, the stronger it can potentially be - but the less magic you'll do. Headline predictions are a good example: they have their biggest punch during the Superbowl and Presidential Elections, things like that.

As mentioned earlier, The Garden of the Strange is a book entirely of situational magic. Some effects require you to be on a beach with a bonfire going at night, others require the assistance of a tribal drummer and a hike outdoors, and others have similar requirements. It's not something you can do with your friends while waiting in line, but the overall organic feel to it is amazing, and very real.

Being able to borrow something the spectator owns puts more power into the trick. It's why bending a signed coin is so strong.

To be honest, I love Paul Harris' image. If I could get away with it at the functions at which I'm hired, I'd adopt it in a heartbeat. I love the look of a scrubby bohemian being able to produce raw miracles. It's refreshing.

Can you tell I've borrowed? Just hearing stories about the guy is inspiring. It's easy to see his influence on Blaine, as well - a lot of Harris rubbed off on him, as far as the wandering stranger presenting magic. It's different, it's more down-to-earth. He could very well be a homeless guy by appearance. It's very deceptive, which is what gives it the punch it has.

With that, I also try to involve the audience in different stories without them necessarily knowing it. Structurally speaking, all the major effects I perform have a resilient conflict that needs to be resolved. I allow the audience to work with me in order to come to that fulfilling conclusion. I use magic as story-telling, I guess... but everyone involved is a main character.

You should read into Bizarre Magick (or however they want to spell it), if you already haven't. Might float your boat, there. I'd also genuinely love to hear some of your presentations, as I adore the approach you have.

...I give up. I hope I (accurately) touched upon what I enjoy doing. Can't help but feel as if I failed to an extent. Whatever. This thread's not my style.

Nailed it, I'd say. And did we not go over this in the first post, I already said that so no one else could be clever. I've managed to squirrel some wit away, and I refuse to share.

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
Gah, this is a hard one. Let's see...

Trick selection? I love impromptu. Or tricks that can be set up very easily. I don't really do gimmicked tricks, not because I'm purist or because I feel my sleights are amazing or anything, but because I do magic on a whim. I can be sitting in the middle of a conversation when I suddenly spontaneously ask someone if they want to see a trick. I like coins and cards purely for the convenience; I also love geek magic and blood. However I wouldn't perform something like Wounded for the sake of it. I use it as an enhancer for simple effects (Ultrasmoke 2000 taken to geek magic). I provide a non verbal explanation for the tricks. Coins don't vanish, that's clearly impossible. However, when a coin vanishes, a clear impression of where the coin was (think taking a coin and pushing it very hard against your palm for a few seconds) and a small pool of blood are combined, the magic is stronger. They can see where the coin was, they see evidence for where it might have gone, no reason to suspect sleights. I've just noticed that I've pretty much done Presentation there as well, so I'll move on to Character.

Now this is a hard one for me because I'm still tweaking around with this, still finding the right balance. Still finding my 'style' to a certain extent, I suppose. One thing, though, I'm not Gustav's warm friendly person. Nor am I Romeo, trying to make a magical moment for people. My character is quite stereotypical, avid performer that does what he does because he loves performing, not to make somebody else's day. If somebody asks him to 'show them something', they may get more than the simple was-this-your-card trick they were expecting. He is addicted to the stage, so to speak. However, he appreciates that he needs to get on with people to perform to them. He is rather cliched in quite a few ways, would happily pull a rabbit out of the hat (though the hat (or rabbit) would have to be bleeding) and do cups and balls, however he doesn't, due to where he performs. He doesn't really care what people think of him.

Well, I think that's me done. Thanks for starting this thread; it has been interesting to find out more about everyone else and has made me think and helped me discover my own character a bit as well. Any more styles coming in?

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
Coins don't vanish, that's clearly impossible. However, when a coin vanishes, a clear impression of where the coin was (think taking a coin and pushing it very hard against your palm for a few seconds) and a small pool of blood are combined, the magic is stronger. They can see where the coin was, they see evidence for where it might have gone, no reason to suspect sleights.

Coin is gone. Hole in hand. Blood dripping out.

*spectator faints*

heh. The image your giving with that descrptiion is not a friendly one!
But I see where you're going. Im obviously (due to my avid use of diction) not the same, yet I can familiarize myself with that character ;)

Gustav

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
Coin is gone. Hole in hand. Blood dripping out.
*spectator faints*
heh. The image your giving with that descrptiion is not a friendly one!

Hmm...yeah, pretty much :D It might not be nicest sugar coated trick, nor is it what they expect to see when you pull a few coins from the air, but it sure separates you from 'that kid with some magic tricks' and it definitely gives them a memorable experience. My drama teacher was telling me a story a while back about a play she'd heard of. It was so plain and blunt and shocking when it came to getting the point across that the entire audience stood up and left. On asking later, many of them said that it was the best play they'd ever seen. It just goes to show, nice and fluffy isn't always best.

Sep 1, 2007
Only 9 posts and it's already slipping into the graveyard of topics that died before their time. Rather telling that this gets ignored by all but a few, while a poll comparing Dana Hocking's music to De'vo's gets more attention and responses than the second coming of Christ.

I suppose as long as I have the chance I might as well pitch in that I have a book out on this subject. Nothing like shameless self-advertising.

Sep 1, 2007
I needed some "me" time.

I came back yesterday with something controversial to say, and it was shut down after a few hours. Amazing how the intellectual minority have to suffer because of the mediocre majority.

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
Only 9 posts and it's already slipping into the graveyard of topics that died before their time. Rather telling that this gets ignored by all but a few, while a poll comparing Dana Hocking's music to De'vo's gets more attention and responses than the second coming of Christ.

Sad eh? Really makes me see why you left.

I suppose as long as I have the chance I might as well pitch in that I have a book out on this subject. Nothing like shameless self-advertising.

Thanks for reminding me. I was contemplating getting this after Sinful reviewed it. How much is it?

Sep 1, 2007
so steerpike, are you back to stay?

That remains to be seen.

You know me. I don't buy into the whole Culture of Nice malarky. Yet certain people here are telling me that I have to. I say give me something to be positive about and you'll have to stick a plug in me so that you can power the entire internet with the sunshine, flowers, and happiness practically oozing out my pores.

But until that happens, I will continue to fight stupidity where I find it.

That doesn't however mean I'm going to continue fighting a pointless battle. If it becomes clear that this forum doesn't want, nor do they believe they need people with an IQ higher than room temperature, I'll take my leave.

That's amazingly cheap, even moreso because it's bound to contain some very interesting ideas, having been written by a semi-insane genius. Well, we'll see how we go but it's definitely on my 'to get' list.

Keep in mind that it's short and is targeted specifically at covering the bare-bones fundamentals. Most books on performance theory are densely packed and inaccessible to anyone just starting out or still relatively new. I wanted to level the playing field a little bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
Imagine that everything in the great tapestry we call reality is only one of many.

Imagine if you will that reality is less of a tapestry, and more of an apartment building. Each apartment is another world. The borders between these worlds seem solid and impregnable. One could go a lifetime without ever realizing that there is anything past those walls. However, that is not the case.

Sometimes you may hear sounds from the other rooms coming through the walls. Strange at first, and they only hint at the existence of anything beyond. After a while you learn to tune it out. The noises are easily explained away and you continue to exist in your world willfully ignorant of what's beyond those walls. As far as you're concerned, it has nothing to do with you.

But what if the walls are particularly thin, and the sounds come through clearer? What if the wall separating two rooms has a door? What if one of those walls were to be breached by force? It can and does happen, more often than you think.

The weakest of all borders is between our world and a realm we shall refer to from this point on as the Shadowlands. It is a world in which reality is shaped more by thought than the laws of physics. And in that regard, the Shadowlands often seem to be a battleground between the two forces trying to determine what will control the grand scheme of reality. Perhaps it is because of this phenomenon that the barrier between our world and the Shadowlands is frequently breached.

I know I'm not the first, but I have reason to believe I am the only one alive today who has learned how to voluntarily create one of these rifts between worlds. The past year of my life has been spent researching and studying this. I am slowly finding the origins of all manner of Fortean and mystical phenomena in the process, but there is still much work to be done.

I am Alexander Vornoff. I am the Shadowlander.

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
I am Alexander Vornoff. I am the Shadowlander.

Wow. This is a whole new approach to magic. This is more of a fiction book than a style. I like that. I suppose that making somebody think of you as something out of a fiction book immediately gets them to suspend their disbelief. You'll have to have very strong presentation to pull off a character like this. Out the box. Wow. I'm impressed.

EDIT: By the way, what sort of tricks do you use as the Shadowlander? I doubt pulling out a pack of cards and asking them to pick one would aid this character particularly...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results