Sub Rosa - Review

May 17, 2015
The video quality is great and up to par with the other videos that theory11 produces. Only issue I had was there weren't more angled shots to showcase the moves, the point got across, but it would of been nice to see more angles to help with teaching. I have purchased some of Jason's material before and felt that this project was not exactly the same quality compared to his others. He was very hesitant to release this, which I fully understood, though this showed through the video as he seemed uninterested almost in it. Maybe I was the only one that noticed this, but it seemed his heart wasn't in this product.

The actual concept was something I never knew of and was truly astonished by it, this is a game changer for those that work with a table. For those that work standing up mainly will find this to be a very knacky and I'd say almost not worth it. This is a gambling maneuver and after research I found this to be a bit overkill for magicians, there is variations that are better suited for magicians, but if you work with tables this still could be a great option even if it is knacky at times.

Jason goes over troubleshooting and ways to make your own custom gimmicks, which is pretty detailed and I enjoyed seeing the devices used to craft the gimmick in the past, plus reading material from where this is written about. After speaking to a few members on here, we found that the way that Jason teaches to craft the gimmick can 'ruin' the cards, not that they are not usable but they just don't have the same cleanliness, but we found ways to get around that, so no harm, no foul. It took sometime for my custom gimmicks to arrive, they are very clean and well crafted, one for practice and the other for performance. The one for performance is practically impossible to catch, unless you know what you are looking for. I wish that Theory11 had given the option for custom gimmicks and we got to pick what was gimmicked, that would make the price more rounded in my eyes.

Another hiccup was that he only showcased the device and didn't go into much detail of use in performance. Now I understand this is to guard others and was so that the viewer could come up with their own material. Though I'd of enjoyed to see him do some routines to start the train of thought, even if he didn't explain the routines, but just performed them. I did get some great ideas, though they are about modifying the gimmick. This effect is fun to practice, but I doubt I will perform it mainly because of how it is designed for table work and not standing.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results