Suggestions for the Theory11 Staff

bd

Jun 26, 2008
San Francisco, California
This is not another one of those "I was this, and this, and this, and you need to stop doing this" kinds of threads.

Theory11 is an amazing example of how quickly an online community with semi-mature members can come together and make a name for itself. However, I believe that it is still in the infant stages, and has a lot of room to grow.

I know there are already threads like this, however, they have become full of somewhat irrational demands, and have lost value. I, personally, have designed many websites and have had the opportunity to join in several administrative positions on forums, etc. in the past. I understand how difficult it can be to meet the needs of your members, while trying to meet your goals and your company's goals, all the while hoping you can somehow stay sane in this crazy process.

If you are going to post on this thread, I hope that you will type correctly, and submit positive, reasonable suggestions for ways that the staff can improve YOUR experience on Theory11. I'll update the list below with ideas suggested by you guys that I deem rational, reasonable, and acceptable.

Please don't post if you're going to be immature.

Things to suggest:
- Retail sale of certain items (i.e. playing cards, books, etc) [Note that they may or may not legally be allowed to sell certain items.]
- Contest ideas (Include rules, time allotment, and rewards. Keep it reasonable.)
- General improvements to the site and/or forum.
- Anything else that you think is a reasonable, realistic suggestion for the staff.

General Suggestions/Improvements/Ideas:
[ 001 ] Making the "track my submitted media" page more accessible. I did not know that this page existed until given a link from someone else; perhaps a link should be added to the sub navigation menu on the media page?
Suggested by benjamind on 20080704, action taken on ________

[ 002 ] 1-on-1 releases: I, personally, see no need to rush a 1-on-1 every week. I'm not saying that the 1-on-1s have been lacking quality; I find most of them very useful and usable. However, it must put some kind of pressure on you guys, and from what I can see, some members are unhappy with the recent downloads. I suggest that you only release 1-on-1 downloads on either the 11th of each month, or every two Fridays.

[ 003 ] Mentalism effects: I'm sure a lot of the magicians that come to Theory11 perform a ton of card magic in their routines, however, having a more diverse selection of tricks would be nice. We understand that it takes time, effort, and money to create new effects or variations on effects, and we just want to keep the idea of mentalism in your... mind ;).
Suggested by supernaturalone on 20080705, action taken on ________

Contest ideas:
[ 001 ] Be the first to submit a contest idea!

Retail item suggestions:
[ 001 ] Wynn Icon playing cards. I'm not sure where you'd get a massive amount of these, however, kardwell.com sells them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: HillyCB
Really? Of my three suggestions, which have already happened? I can't track my submitted media. They don't sell Wynn Icon cards. And the 1-on-1 is a rather recent issue.
1) Yes you can.

Check out the 'My Submissions' Link below:

http://media.theory11.com/my_submissions

The reason you dont get a reason when it is declined is that they recieve hundreds of videos each day, and it would just be too time consuming sadly.

If you see a video in that link, its still in the queue!

2) Why?

You can get them from Kardwell, D&D etc all at awesome prices.

Lets not make Theory11 into an 'Everything Store' such as Penguin.

3) This has been answered before.

We asked for more 1-on-1's, they gave it to us, and now we complain?

For sure, some of them I would not use, but most of them are incredibly helpful to new magicians. Give them a break!

Hope this helps :)

Matty

Apr 15, 2008
Stop being so negative. I don't see anything wrong in trying to put up a serious thread. Take the chance and tell everyone what you think instead of saying "I've already said that", or "I already know that". Spread the word. Say it again.

Make peace & love, not war guys.

Stop being so negative. I don't see anything wrong in trying to put up a serious thread. Take the chance and tell everyone what you think instead of saying "I've already said that", or "I already know that". Spread the word. Say it again.

Make peace & love, not war guys.

Apologies if I sounded rude in any way.

But if there is a thread where the Theory11 Staff constantly look at, I would suggest the views will be seen more in there, rather than in a new thread.

Matty

bd

Jun 26, 2008
San Francisco, California
Matt, you are missing the point.

I created this thread so that we could have ONE thread, filled with reasonable , reachable goals and suggestions. It's not going to be filled with the immaturity of other suggestion threads; I know how annoying that is to the administrators.

If you don't like the idea of a single suggestion thread, making it easier for the staff, then I request that you do not click any link that leads you to this thread again. It's that simple.

@ a General Discussion moderator:
Can you please remove every post after Post #1, except for those that are suggesting something? Thank you.

Sep 1, 2007
California

I created this thread so that we could have ONE thread, filled with reasonable , reachable goals and suggestions. It's not going to be filled with the immaturity of other suggestion threads; I know how annoying that is to the administrators.

If you don't like the idea of a single suggestion thread, making it easier for the staff, then I request that you do not click any link that leads you to this thread again. It's that simple.

@ a General Discussion moderator:
Can you please remove every post after Post #1, except for those that are suggesting something? Thank you.

I don't mean to come off as rude, but there is already a thread with suggestions as Matt pointed out, some posts might not be as mature as you want them to be, but that is what this forum has, the theory11 staff has already said that they will check those threads.

Your 3 problems, as Matt explained have been solved, and the threads he listed are good enough. Again, this wasn't meant to come off as rude.

Im sure if the Staff would prefer a single thread, they would have merged the other two :).

Honestly though, on this site we have a lot of younger members who may write more 'immature' posts, we have to accept that.

Unless a moderator was to clean up a thread like this constantly, I dont think it would really work unfortunately.

Im not saying its a bad idea, but I think the way it currently is set up is working.

I did also answer all three of your requests.

Ta,
Matty

The only major problem that I see with Theory11 is shipping prices. Look at Dave (pokerstud52) or Jamie (fullboatdealer) on Ebay. They can ship 14 decks of cards for no more than 6 dollars! To ship a brick of cards here it would cost just about 11 dollars.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results