Svengali Control - Chad Nelson :: OnDemand

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
Here comes me again, reviewing one of the latest additions to Dan and Dave's OnDemand section. Here's what's 'appening.

Svengali Control is an ingenious multiple shift created by Chad Nelson. With it, any number of cards can be controlled to the bottom of the deck in the casual manner of dribbling the cards. Chad provides the perfect motivation for its execution with built in misdirection making the control nearly angle proof. It’s so deceptive, it can even be done at a snails pace with nothing to suspect.

Additionally, Chad provides an interesting application for a false shuffle. He also teaches one of his favorite effects, a classic in magic called Remember and Forget by Hofzinser, as a bonus. With it, he tips an application for the Molecule cut by Dan and Dave Buck as an alternative to the double undercut.​
Well, I'll try to keep this short, seeing as though Im sure we all have lives to attend to.

Quality --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Probably the most repeated thing ever said in these forums, quality is astounding. Great colour, filming angle, script. Everything's picture clear perfect.

Teaching ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Again, Chad's teaching is clear, easily understandable, and most of all, followable. Just grab a deck and follow along!

Difficulty --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not difficult at all, if difficulty is something that turns you off. The Svengali control is composed of two synchronized moves, which are beautifull to the eye. With almost no change, you can control two cards, three cards, twenty six cads, woteva! Can you dribble?

Not the mouth wash, numbnuts - your cards...

Personal Reflections ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Love it.

Love it, love it, love it.

This is, to me, one of those control that comes around every now and then - that'll I'll fall in love with because it's so easy, simple and practical. Angles are virtually perfect, except for a few cornerstones, but the fact that this control is performed at an off beat makes them irrelevant.

Do it. They won't suspect a thing.

Additional Thoughts -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The first thing you might think is: "But i've thought of this before..."

Perhaps. Does that mean you shouldn't have bought it?

Not at all.

Chad teaches you an application, which is basically effortless, to turn this control into a casual false shuffle - as well as teaching you a fun little effect (actually taught, not just shown) which will stick to you like gum on your shoe. Except, it's not annoying. And won't turn off your date.

Chad also lovably goes through a little history, and points you in the direction of two books, both by Rich Kaufman, where you can see the evolution of the control.

So what's up? ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is wazzup. Get, because you will use it. not the hardest, most satsifying control, but if you get a high everytime you spectator feels like he's confident that he's got you in his sights - you'll be ever so happy with this.

Remember the shapeshifter? We all know how to do it. We'll never forget.

That's how this feels.

Ever so lovingly;

G

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 23, 2008
I didn't like it really, there are better multiple shifts out there. And in any case, I prefer a multiple shift that gets the cards to the top instead of the bottom. That's probably just me though, and the tricks I perform.

I can't say I liked the false shuffle either..

With that said, the trick he explains, though, is very good. And I believe it is Ricky Jay's favourite quick effect to perform impromptu, without a table. Well, a variation of it, obviously.

It's only 8 dollars. Thats like a fiver in England--loose change. Might aswell pick it up for an easy multiple shift if you don't already have one. If you do, might aswell stick with it.

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
Each to his own, each to his own.

Granted it might not suit everybody, but I suspect the majority of the people as to whom the section is marketed to will, in any case, like it.

Plus, it is only loose change.

Thanks for your comments Retype!

G

May 25, 2009
I really liked this review. It's well formatted, entertaining and doesn't beat around the bush.

I have one question about the move though. Does the control give you the ability to control the cards to the top? Or is it just the bottom?

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
I really liked this review. It's well formatted, entertaining and doesn't beat around the bush.

I have one question about the move though. Does the control give you the ability to control the cards to the top? Or is it just the bottom?

Thank you for the kind words Rockefella.

Unfortunately, the control works only to manipulate cards towards the bottom of the deck. To an experienced card handler, however, this should pose no problem ;)

Come to think of it, you can very well use the control with the cards face up, thus controlling the cards to the top of the deck if you wish. Actually, this sounds like a good idea *grabs deck*

Eioooo!

G

D

Deleted member 2755

I learned this control at Chad's lecture. He didn't teach any sort of effects or false shuffles with it, but he did teach the basic control. It's great.

If you wanted to control a certain amount of cards to the top, then a different method of card control would be used. This control is used to bring them to the bottom and it works very well. (Chad actually uses this control on Surfaced in one of the effect performances. :))

Overall, the control is awesome. Can't really comment on the On Demand though because the video lecture disc has a different video than the one actually used in the On Demand.

-Doug

Jun 1, 2009
Love the review, just bought it and I love it! Thanks for the review

Your boy, Fez

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
Is the effect that he teaches any good? What happends in the effect?

Sorry for not answering more promptly, yes the effect is quite fun.

It goes on about picking two cards, then only remembering one of them. After a few shuffles, the magician asks which one you thought of, and it is the card he has. But wait? What about the card you forgot? It's now the one you're holding.

That's about how it goes, and I like it. Nothing groundbreaking, but it is a nice take on such a simple effect.

Love the review, just bought it and I love it! Thanks for the review

Your boy, Fez

No problem, glad you liked it ;)

G

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
How hard is this sleight from a scale from 1 to 10? Something that takes months to master?

Far from it. Once you watch it, it will take maybe a day to get used to the motions, and then just a little while to get it all going smooooothly.

It is, in essence, a very easy sleight.

Sep 1, 2007
How hard is this sleight from a scale from 1 to 10? Something that takes months to master?

My opinion: 3

You can't master it in an hour, but maybe a few days.

For me, the dribble took a little longer than the control itself, to make it look smooth and natural.

Jul 19, 2009
defiantly buy this its awesome just finished watching and i love the trick your right i does tick to you, but i also think the simpler switch is more or less taught there is so much taught : molecule cut to replace the double undercut, an awesome trick,and awesome control,simpler switch. u must get this

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results