Sybil - No Speed!

Sep 1, 2007
Hey guys,
I've been doing the basic five faces of sybil for about 6 months now, and I still have hardly any speed. I just can't go really fast. I practice untill my hands hurt, and then some more, and still can't increase speed. When I try to go as fast as possible, the packets fly everywhere. The thing thats slowing me down is the seperation of packets. Any advice? Tips? Anything would be greatly appreciated.

Dec 22, 2007
don't go faster than you can.

go as fast as your comfortable with, so your still in control of the flourish. i think style is more important than speed.

Nov 6, 2007
Join the club.

My sybil is absolutely bonkers. Even after 3 years of doing it.

I mean, it slowly grew into a half-decent looking sybil, but it's still no where near as fast as most you see now.

Sep 1, 2007
Los Angeles, California
5 Faces of Sybil is not suppose to be done with more speed... if you're talking about the Sybil on how Brian Tudor does it... that's the one you want with speed. Speed usually comes naturally when you work on the smoothness of the cut.

5 Faces of Sybil is not suppose to be done with more speed... if you're talking about the Sybil on how Brian Tudor does it... that's the one you want with speed. Speed usually comes naturally when you work on the smoothness of the cut.

not really.....ive been doing sybil for 4 years....work on changing speeds throughout your cuts......go really fast for a few sections and then go slowmo....it will help with control.....

Nov 17, 2007
This might be risky but for some off reason this happened to me. I had the exact same experience as you. I practiced the Syble a lot but I couldn't get any speed. Every time I THINK it looks good, on camera it is very sloppy and slow. I got fed up and stopped practicing the Syble for a while and learned other stuff. About a month ago, I came back to the Syble just to try it out again and the weirdest thing happened. I did it once and nothing changed. Twice and nothing changed. About a week with no improvement until suddenly, like out of nowhere, I was able to do it at Tudor speed and perfectly. IDK. I think it's becuase if you try to do something too many times. And, you keep on doing it wrong, that will begin to become a habit and will be hard to break out of. Now, I'm not saying do this with everything, it just worked on the Syble for me. So my suggestion is to take a break from the Syble for a bit. Maybe a month or so. Learn some other completely different flourishes. Learn some fans. Come back to the Syble and hopefully, you'll be better. Hope this helped. =)

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
I've discovered the same thing, although not necessarily with flourishing. If I find a sleight or move really difficult, I'll practice it for a while, and if I don't make any progress, I'll just stop for about a week. Usually, when I come back to it, I can do it much better than before. It's weird, but it works for me.

Sep 1, 2007
Venezuela
This might be risky but for some off reason this happened to me. I had the exact same experience as you. I practiced the Syble a lot but I couldn't get any speed. Every time I THINK it looks good, on camera it is very sloppy and slow. I got fed up and stopped practicing the Syble for a while and learned other stuff. About a month ago, I came back to the Syble just to try it out again and the weirdest thing happened. I did it once and nothing changed. Twice and nothing changed. About a week with no improvement until suddenly, like out of nowhere, I was able to do it at Tudor speed and perfectly. IDK. I think it's becuase if you try to do something too many times. And, you keep on doing it wrong, that will begin to become a habit and will be hard to break out of. Now, I'm not saying do this with everything, it just worked on the Syble for me. So my suggestion is to take a break from the Syble for a bit. Maybe a month or so. Learn some other completely different flourishes. Learn some fans. Come back to the Syble and hopefully, you'll be better. Hope this helped. =)
Its sybil :p, and this happened to me with the revolution change I think..

Sep 17, 2007
FatalAce and Aris are not wrong. Somehow when you try to intentionally force yourself to go faster you will end up slower, because you rush through the flourish, you grip the cards too tight, your wrist tenses up and all that. When you stop doing that flourish for say, a week or two, it ends up like a mini cardistry sabbatical. You already know the move, so when you come back after a week or two you don't have to jump the hurdle of learning the moves, but your body has that understanding that it knows the moves yet hasn't done it for some time. So naturally, it assumes that its a new move (with old experience), and you will find yourself MUCH faster.

The key to a good sybil, IMO, comes from three things. Firstly, wrist action and how consistently far apart you can keep your hands from each other. Sybil is a two packet card that straddles a packet across the index finger of one hand and the thumb of the other. Try to keep your hands the same distance apart from one another throughout the whole flourish; this helps with the squaring of the packets, and when there's a bit more tension on the packets it becomes easier to move around. That being said, you need to move your wrists to get your Sybil fast. Many people attempt to do a Sybil with little wrist movement but a lot of finger movement, but hey, we're not Greg Irwin. When you move the wrists, and get used to the flow of moving the wrists, you can use your wrist strength to improve your speed. Wrist-propelled speed is way faster than finger-flexibility-propelled speed. Secondly, muscle memory. There's two parts of the Sybil that contribute greatly to speed. One is the part where you switch the packet from your ring finger to your second finger, and the other is when you are picking up the packet with your fourth finger and last finger. The former is where I slowed down when practicing, but I eventually got used to moving my fingers fast enough. The latter is a bit more of finger dexterity; you need to get used to really gripping the packet at the first touch so that you can move on quickly without risking dropping the packet. The third and final way to get a good Sybil is actually a having a good rhythm. Sometimes speed can only come from a good rhythm that allows you to gradually accelerate. Wanting speed but not rhythm or flow in a flourish is like asking a Airbus A380 to start flying without taxi or runway sequence. For example, look at D+M, notice that his sybils all have a certain, distinct rhythm to it. For me that worked, though I am not sure about you.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results