Tallys or Bikes

• Tally Ho

Votes: 41 60.3%
  • Bikes

Votes: 27 39.7%

• Total voters
Nov 30, 2007
Midlands, England
really doesn't help the art of magic in any way...

I too am getting sick of these pointless comments.

You do realise that not every single post on these forums has to assist in "advancing the art of magic".

If you're so intent on doing just that, why leave that kind of message? It advances nothing.

If you quote my post here and, quite hypocritically, tell me the same things I'm telling you, don't expect me to waste my time, and reply.

These kinds of topics aren't harming anyone or anything. Why respond negatively towards them when they're all just a bit of fun? I enjoy reading them, along with many other people, I'm sure. No need to dampen the atmosphere.

-Sam H

Sep 1, 2007
Why respond negatively towards them when they're all just a bit of fun? I enjoy reading them, along with many other people, I'm sure.

Again, there's a line between fun and insipidity.

And if something this cliche and masturbatory meets your standards of fun... Well it's not something I would advertise.

Sep 2, 2007
London
And if something this cliche and masturbatory meets your standards of fun... Well it's not something I would advertise.

I find that standard, cliched masturbation meets my standards of fun...

Anyway, I think it's important to accept that there are a lot of kids on this forum. Maybe sometimes they should just be allowed to be kids, and take their own time to grow up. I'm fairly sure when I was fourteen I found things interesting and exciting that now, in the venerable, world-wearied way that I roll, I find pointless and banal. That doesn't mean I was wrong to go through that adolescent stage on my way to maturity.

Basically, let the kids have their Tally or Bike debate. It does no-one any good, granted, but it does no-one any harm either. These young 'uns will learn eventually....

Jan 9, 2008
Sacramento
I find that standard, cliched masturbation meets my standards of fun...

Anyway, I think it's important to accept that there are a lot of kids on this forum. Maybe sometimes they should just be allowed to be kids, and take their own time to grow up. I'm fairly sure when I was fourteen I found things interesting and exciting that now, in the venerable, world-wearied way that I roll, I find pointless and banal. That doesn't mean I was wrong to go through that adolescent stage on my way to maturity.

Basically, let the kids have their Tally or Bike debate. It does no-one any good, granted, but it does no-one any harm either. These young 'uns will learn eventually....

I can respect that.
toil away

Nov 30, 2007
Midlands, England
Again, there's a line between fun and insipidity.

To call me insipid is a bit drastic, wouldn't you say? Yes, maybe I should've chosen my words a little more carefully when I addressed the poll as "fun", but this is a magic forum - discussion of such topics is surely inevitable?

Elaborating on that point - I really wasn't being specific at all - I meant that these relatively off-topic discussions like this one are a breath of fresh air amongst the weighty debates about much more detailed subjects.

Why is that such a childish thought?

I just fail to see the logic behind bringing this unnecessary negativity to the table.

-Sam H

Jan 9, 2008
Sacramento
To call me insipid is a bit drastic, wouldn't you say? Yes, maybe I should've chosen my words a little more carefully when I addressed the poll as "fun", but this is a magic forum - discussion of such topics is surely inevitable?

Elaborating on that point - I really wasn't being specific at all - I meant that these relatively off-topic discussions like this one are a breath of fresh air amongst the weighty debates about much more detailed subjects.

Why is that such a childish thought?

I just fail to see the logic behind bringing this unnecessary negativity to the table.

-Sam H

No see it's just that it's the opposite- the breath of fresh air is when there IS a weighty discussion. They are few and far between in this forum and for a community that claims its goal is to advance the art, we aren't. And I, for one want it to change.

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
bikes, because theyre more common and less suspicious

Ok first yes it may not effect the world of magic,but it may effect his. The feel of cards and what he most comfy with will give him more confidence in the handling of his cards(of course along with practice).

Now as suggested use cards people in your area are familiar with. Now other the other hand if we all lived by that rule Non of use would be using tiger decks as even though there a bicycle type,the everyday public never seen them before.

In the end no matter what it your own personal preference of what you like to use.

It like asking whats a better pass to use. It really doesn't matter it's the end result that matters and thats entertaining your audience.

Personally I like bikes better because people know them more than tallys, still both are pretty cool.

DomARGH!!.JPG

^That's not me, by the way. Expect a visit from some of my goonscough - I mean friends - in a few days...

Gustav

Feb 1, 2009
Manchester, UK.
Sigh, what has happened to this forum? People used to say their opinion, have a friendly discussion stating why they prefer those decks ect...

Now it's all hectic and a bunch of... dare I say it? "Forum whores" lurking around for an argument or two.

So here's my say in this thread, I prefer Tallys as I find they handle better for me.

Sep 1, 2007

Name some. Because I find them unbelievably scarce.

Nov 30, 2007
Midlands, England
No see it's just that it's the opposite- the breath of fresh air is when there IS a weighty discussion. They are few and far between in this forum and for a community that claims its goal is to advance the art, we aren't. And I, for one want it to change.

That's fair enough, and I do agree with you wholly. In fact, I'm not sure what I was trying to say previously, because I couldn't side with you more with regards to this point.

I think that what I was trying to say was that there's really not much point in posting negatively in a topic that isn't a weighty discussion - especially every one that you can find. The forum thrives because of its different levels of discussion. It doesn't have to entirely consist of essays.

-Sam H

Aug 18, 2008

Did i not just create a weighty discussion? ;)

Sep 1, 2007
8 threads in 11 minutes, most of which actually date back to 2008. Only two of them were made this month and one of them last month. 6 of them were started by Morgician.

This does not persuade me that discussions of which deck is better or threads devolving into Chuck Norris jokes make for a breath of fresh air. What it does tell me is that Morgician does a better job carrying his own weight around here than even I do.

So every month, we get at least two interesting thought-provoking discussions compared to... how many threads are started here in one day?

Nov 30, 2007
Midlands, England
8 threads in 11 minutes, most of which actually date back to 2008. Only two of them were made this month and one of them last month. 6 of them were started by Morgician.

This does not persuade me that discussions of which deck is better or threads devolving into Chuck Norris jokes make for a breath of fresh air. What it does tell me is that Morgician does a better job carrying his own weight around here than even I do.

So every month, we get at least two interesting thought-provoking discussions compared to... how many threads are started here in one day?

Of course, I wouldn't take just my findings as fact - like I said, my search wasn't thorough at all.

However, I think one thing you've completely misinterpreted is I never said there were an abundance of these weighty topics. I couldn't agree more with you, I think that more elaborate discussions are exactly what Theory11 (as a forum) needs to make it more interesting and worthwhile. I never said anything different.

I only referred to topics like these as a breath of fresh air because recently it feels like I've been participating in a lot of laboured (but of course invaluable) discussion. And no, I'm not talking about on Theory11, either.

Is it so wrong to just talk about something not so comprehensive for just once and maybe appreciate a little light conversation? Not necessarily about Tally-Hos and Bicycles, but I assume you catch my drift.

-Sam H

jonraiker

vp of development
Team member
Aug 5, 2007
Florida
instagram.com
Guys,

Just a quick note to remind everyone to keep things on topic. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this thread. It's a simple question - it's a poll - and the negativity and disrespectful comments are neither welcomed nor appropriate.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results