Tarantula by Yigal Mesika

Mar 30, 2008
DC
Tarantula by Yigal Mesika
Keep in mind I’m a harsh grader. I grade tough and look for perfection. I AM VERY HARSH.
In case you have not seen it here is a youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw-PSYupQz8

Yigal Mesika begins with performances of the tricks you can do with the Tarantula. He shows a fair few performances, but not too many, just the right amount.

Then Mesika goes into how the Tarantula came about and how he perfected it. He talks about the gimmick which is not what I expected, but I think its okay.

Its interesting. Then, he goes into the effects and how-to’s.

He teaches all the effects very well.

At the end of all the effects he gives extra tips about how to use the gimmick. He also talks about what to do if some things go wrong with the gimmick.

The Gimmick:
It’s very clever and very out of the box in my opinion. However, there are some things that can go wrong when using the gimmick (after your effect, sometimes the reset can go wrong.) However, in this case it is easy to undo the problem, but you might need some time alone. Yigal Mesika gives some good tips on how to use the gimmick.

Overall, it is a good gimmick, you are well taught on how to use the gimmick, and how to deal with any problems.

Effects: Strong as hell. I got some great reactions. HOWEVER, at the same time you need to be very careful to not “flash” or mess up.

Pros: Strong and easy to use during the actual effect. . Best of its kind of gimmick ever. Strongest. Most Invisible, it is very Invisible. Very Very Invisible.

Cons: Except under white light.  My school has white fluorescent lights so I had to be very careful or “it” would show during some effects. Also, it is an automatic reset BUT if something “goes wrong” it can be difficult to reset occasionally..especially if “it breaks”. But even then it is easy to get “it” out again if you know how..takes maybe 3 seconds if you know how. You could turn around and do it quickly.

So if you look up..the pros are much shorter than the cons.

It’s a strong effect, the gimmick is VERY CREATIVE and versatile. Strong effects. You need to be careful sometimes, and if something goes wrong it can be annoying and you might not notice. So then you try to do the effect and you look like a dummy .

I’ll give it a 6.5 or 7/10.

In my opinion, especially with the recession in the US, it is not worth $70 plus shipping even if the gimmick is probably worth around there.
If you want to buy it, go for it but it might not suit you. Get some invisible string and do your dollar levitations.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great effect, but I’m brown (Indian) so I’m cheap, and I don’t think you should pay $70 plus shipping, even if it is a great effect. You can really be creative and do some crazy stuff with this, but I might just save up for 30 gallons of gas.

BTW, it is a combination of more than 3 different gimmicks, which is why it is so unique. These 3 gimmicks combined and bought separately would cost well over $100.

If you really want it, go for it but don't expect perfection. It can get you good results, but it has its flaws.

Aug 18, 2008
Thanks it is nice to see a good review on this. Sounds great but not worth the money as you say. Hope to see some live performances.

Mar 30, 2008
DC
Yeah, the effect is nice and all. But in times like these, I'm not sure if you want to buy an expensive gimmick that is fragile and could break. Again, go with the cheaper levitation unless you really are willing to spend the money.

Oct 17, 2007
Aussie NSW
Sounds really cool.

Do you think you could get say a new gimmick if it broke or even make your own?

But i would love to see some performances. It's interesting that its 3 gimmicks just about in 1.

Hey i just realised i went over 500 post 6 post ago meh not that big of an achievement just saying.

Sep 1, 2007
Would this effect work on stage? Bathroom lights and classroom lights are much more different than theater lights for several reasons, would "it" be visible on stage and if so could it be fixed by simply changing away from a totally white light?

~Beans

Mar 30, 2008
DC
Would this effect work on stage? Bathroom lights and classroom lights are much more different than theater lights for several reasons, would "it" be visible on stage and if so could it be fixed by simply changing away from a totally white light?

~Beans

Haha if you're on stage it will be completely invisible.

In fact, regardless of light it will probably be invisible if you're more than 5 feet away from the person.

As for the totally white light part..I'm not sure what you mean, but the gimmick would be VERY DIFFICULT to try and alter by hand..just don't mess with it if you get it, it can easily break. And by that I mean if you drop it it will not break, but if you try to alter it or mess with it...it probably will.

Guys this has been a long awaited trick, feel free to ask any and all questions.

I know I have a moreso negative opinion of the trick but my responses won't be biased of my opinion, I'll give you all the info I can.

Mar 30, 2008
DC
It can break but it is easy to fix. Yigal goes over an easy method to set it up again. Takes about 5 seconds of some alonee time.

HOWEVER, after it breaks a good 10-15 times it BECOMES A B**** to get back together. It is hard to break it that many times (don't worry you probably won't do this), but I have broken it a lot through my stupid ideas, and now it takes some long nails and excruciating time to get the gimmick going again-however it is not impossible.

Mar 30, 2008
DC
? didn't E said it was invisible inches away from the spectators face ?? i think 5 feets is more then ''inches away''

it works inches away outside in daylight.

under white fluorescent lights or really bright light, you will need some distance. Maybe not 5 feet but DEFINITELY not a couple inches. You might want an arm's length or two. (2-3 feet at least between your gimmick/the levitating object" and the person's eyes.

Oct 1, 2008
earth
I had one question about this for a while

can you do the levitation without having the object spinning?

thx in advance

AZN pride all the way...

I had one question about this for a while

can you do the levitation without having the object spinning?

thx in advance

AZN pride all the way...

You can make objects float without spinning it, but I think its highly recommended you do spin the object, if you have the hummer card, you'll understand why.

But with objects like dollar bills, you dont have to spin those.

Cheers, Tom

Mar 30, 2008
DC
^ There you have it.

It is better for the Hovering if you spin it.

Hovering is the ring trick with the Tarantula.

Apr 22, 2009
I have the money for the tarantula, and would be willing to pay for "accesories" (as Yigal calls them) that I may need later when things go wrong. I have been doing levitations that use this type of thing and know how they can break at times, so would it be good for me?

May 21, 2009
Fresno, CA
I really love this thing. I just got it a couple of days ago. My wife saw it and roled her eyes the way she usually does when I get a new "magic thingy". Yesterday she came home while I was practicing "Hovering"...even though she had seen the gimmick, she still did a double take and said "Oh my God!" I can't wait to try this on some friends...but I still need to practice for a couple of months.

Although the ending for the classic floating ring illusion is completely clean (Adrian Van Vactor is a friend of mine) I like the spinning action of hovering. It really gives the illusion that "magnetism" or possibly UFO feeling. It reminds me of the floating magnetic top that spins in the air...anyway...

love the tarantula. can't wait to add it to my act.

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results