TECHNIQUE by Matthew Mello

Mar 21, 2010
TECHNIQUE - matthew mello

the.EFFECT

I want you to imagine that we are at a coffee shop having a conversation. I ask you to move to the other side of the room and write down any 2 or 3 digit number while I look away. I tell you to hold the paper close so no one can see. After a moment of concentration I am able to tell you with 100% accuracy what number you are thinking of.

the.NOTES

You never see what the spectator writes | It is one of the easiest versions of it's kind | The principle has multiple applications | Bonus Effect included on the DVD

other.APPLICATIONS

Impromptu drawing duplication of simple shapes | Numerical values of thought of playing cards | Realistic demonstration of the standard scientific ESP test

the.PRAISE

"Technique has been one of my secret tools. Now it's not so secret. I must say that I am genuinely upset that Matt let this go." -Andrew Gerard

the.TEACHING

Matt comes off as a relaxed, and calm teacher. Very comprehensive, and very detailed. Matt goes step-by-step, and takes you through each and every subtlety, tip, and trick in order to perform Technique to its best and flawlessly.

the.VIDEO

Technique comes packed in a 47 minute download (or DVD), with excellent quality in PaperCrane format. The audio, angles, and lighting are also perfect!

my.THOUGHTS

This is (probably) without a doubt, one of the best, and most ingenious, yet practical method to read a spectator's mind.

Right off the back, Technique is very versatile in a performing aspect, as you can perform Technique in any enviroment (close-up, street, restaurant work, stage, just to name a few).

The technique in Technique is nothing new by any means, but revisited, and revised to the best of it's limits, and then some.

Everything is impromptu, hands-off, and simple, and because of these factors, it leaves you with an entire room for presentation. You never touch, or handle anything during anytime of the performance-nothing to add, nothing to take away-and you also look away when the spectator writes down their numbers, what more can you ask for?

Throughout the video, you'll watch performances of Technique, the Out, and the Billet Tear, and the reactions Matthew recieves are astounding...you must see them to believe them. This shows with the determination, and practice you put into these effects, you'll garner some of the same reactions.

This is as close to 'mind-reading' as you come across, because of the many, many points involved... I see no 'con' in Technique.

Matthew did an extraordinary job with Technique.

the.OUT

Matthew also includes an out just incase there's a 'defect' during the performance.

Essentially, it plays out like this: The spectator writes a 2-digit-number on the notepad, and hides it from the magi's view. A deck of cards is introduced and the second spectator chooses any card from amongst the deck, which is then lost back in the deck, if you wish. The magi makes two predictions that are then set aside, and the spectators reveal their free choices. The predictions are opened and shown to have been accurate.

This is, in my opinion, just as strong as Technique itself, as the more spectators we involve, the better. It's again, simple in handling, and hard-hitting. This is something I've performed time to time, that has also garnered great reactions.

the.BILLET TEAR

Considering that it's a billet tear, you'll need nothing more then a piece of index size paper, and a pen. Matthew takes you step-by-step through the entire procedure, not once, but twice. If I have nothing one me, this is something I choose to perform, as pen and paper are such a common item--if not, I have many backups. Clear, precise, and easy.

the.PRACTICE SECTION

Towards the end of the download, you'll watch a practice section with Matthew Mello and Ian Martin, so you can come along, and practice with the technique in order to perform Technique (from the spectators point of view). This is something that I'm intrigued, and was glad was added in the download, as it surely did help, a lot, in order to get Technique down.

the.CONCLUSION

I'm not one to give out a number score at the end of a review, as everyone has a different preference, but without further ado... 9.9/10. Be ready to take your spectators on a mental 'journey', and be ready to amaze, awe, and astound. Technique is gold.

the.LINK

http://papercranemagic.com/technique.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 23, 2010
This is a really cool 'technique' for knowing a number that someone has written down, and has so much potential, great stuff.

Good review, cool 'technique'.

Mar 21, 2010
@InYourMind - Thank you for reading, and commenting on my review. And you know it, Technique as an infinite amount of potential.

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
Fantastic review!

Loved reading through it, very detailed, easy to understand, and easy to read.

Surprised nobody else has commented on it.

But due to this amazing review, I think I'll soon check 'TECHNIQUE' out, as I overlooked it because I already own 'UNIVERSAL IMPRESSION', but just in case I leave it behind, then I can see myself performing this in place.

Thanks. :)

Mar 21, 2010
@Jv - Thank you for the very kind words, and glad you enjoyed the review - and posted your thoughts about Technique.

I've been debating to pick up Universal Impression, but I believe I may do so--I've only read great reviews about it... so a review will be up soon for it, once I pick it up, practice the moves, and performed it in my upcoming gigs.

The extraordinary factor in Technique is because everything is hands-off, the spectator does everything, it happens in their hands, everything is squeaky clean, and it's impromptu.

This is highly recommend.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
This is a brillant effect that has so many more applications thanjust a simple number reveal.

Anyone who has Luca Volpe's new DVD download there is a great DD that can use this principle as s convincer to destroy the method of the.

Mar 21, 2010
@D ICE R - Yes; the applications with Technique are endless. Especially when the technique becomes second-nature to you.

Mind giving me the link to Luca Volpe's new DVD download, D ICE R? I am a fan of his work, owning both is Horus and Nephthys PDF E-Books, which holds many professional routines inside.

Aug 31, 2007
Hey guys,

Just wanted to stop by and thank all of you for the kind words. It's awesome that you're enjoying and supporting my work.

And be sure to keep a look out for some of my new material. I think you guys are gonna like it.

Thanks again,

Matt Mello

Mar 21, 2010
@Matthew Mello - Thanks for the kind words, as well. And I think I can speak for everyone when I say we'll definitely be looking out for your upcoming material.

Aug 31, 2007
By the way, I'd be interested in checking out the new Lupe DVD as well. Can you send me the link as well?

Matt Mello

Hey guys,

Just wanted to stop by and thank all of you for the kind words. It's awesome that you're enjoying and supporting my work.

And be sure to keep a look out for some of my new material. I think you guys are gonna like it.

Thanks again,

Matt Mello
Matt, you are one sneaky dude, got it and own it. That actually kills any other method ever put out. I like it man. You are one smart dude....

Aug 31, 2007
Cedric,

Thanks man. I'm glad you enjoy it. If you like the thinking on the Technique DVD, then you're gonna love what I've got coming.

Matt Mello

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results