Telling Tales by Luke Jermay

Michael Kras

{dg} poet laureate / theory11
Sep 12, 2007
Canada
www.magicanada.myfastforum.org
TELLING TALES BY LUKE JERMAY

Two brand new amazing, clever mind stunts from Luke Jermay in this new ebook available from www.emagicsupply.com

REVIEW: Telling Tales is a brand new ebook by Luke Jermay, and is truly a fantastic piece of work. Luke first begins with a nice Introduction, thanking the consumer for purchasing his ebook and explaining a little bit about his thinking this time around and talking about the thinking behind both effects as well. After the fantastic introduction from this young genius of magic and mentalism, Luke includes a section he calls The Approach. The Approach is a lengthly explanation behind the psychological bits of the stunts in the ebook as well as discussing a very in-depth reason for his thinking this time. You will find this is not typical Jermay thinking at all, and it is very clever, funny, and very fascinating.

After The Approach comes the two spectacular effects... VERY clever thinking, and I will review each effect below:

BIG SPENDER: Sitting at a restaurant, the magician and his friend wait for their check. As soon as that little black folder comes with the bill inside, the magician opens up his wallet and carefully counts out enough money to pay for lunch. Ony one thing... The money is only Play Money!!! This Monopoly money is given directly to the waitress and she walks away, later returning the the CHANGE from the magician's money! Keep in mind:

No switch, the waitress genuinely gets the Monopoly Money

The waitress is not pre-arranged or in on it whatsoever. The very clever method allows for a sudden performance. Nobody is in-the-know but YOU.

Personally, I love this to bits and I cannot wait to try it next time I pay for lunch somewhere with a friend. Just imagine the possibilities! and the best part is that the waitress actually gives you change!! Honestly, how much more weird can it get? This is definitely a stunt to be remembered. Luke goes very in-depth in explaining this effect, as well as outining the "safe" way to perform it, as a waitress lacking in a certain personality quality will ruin the effect (you'll see what I mean when you learn this)

The method for this is VERY clever and very easy to do... you really only need some play money and of course real money. I cannot wait to try this out, and you will feel the same way. In fact, I predict many of you will be offering to pay for meals more often! I give this effect a 9/10 for a clever method and VERY effective, odd effect it has on spectators.

GOOGLE GOOGLE: The basic effect is that, at a coffee shop, the magician is working away on his laptop when all of a sudden his papers fall to the floor. A passer-by will naturally help to pick them up, and it is seen that is is a list of random words. The magician explains that he has been trying, a little bit at a time, to memorize search results for every word possible on www.google.com. This obviously sounds like an impossible feat, so the magician offers to prove it. The spectator searches ANY word they want to on the magician's laptop, and the magician can name the whole First Page of search results for that random word! A truly impossible Rain Man-style feat that is sure to be remembered for a very long time.

Luke Jermay provides two methods for this effect. Essentially, you will need to have easy access to a computer or laptop, and since I have my laptop everywhere with me, I can do this. Both methods taught are very good, and I will go into them now.

Method One will definitely not be a favourite with anyone, in fact I highly doubt that anyone will use this method. For one, it's costly and it also requires a secret assistant. This method is definitely fascinating to read, but unfortunately not practical at all.

Method Two is fantastic, but will require anopther easily obtainable item to work with. You can carry this item with you everywhere to perform this effect. This method is very inexpensive and can be accomplished with a special comething you probably already have. This method is very practical and makes GOOGLE GOOGLE worthwhile to learn. I give this feat of mind power a solid 8/10. Jermay is surely a fantastic thinker in magic, and this effect will not disappoint!

OVERALL: Overall I give this ebook an 8/10. Luke brings some more VERY bizarre, creative effects and stunts to our attention, providing insightful psychological bits and other subtleties to strengthen each effect. Because of the cleverness of the effects and their potential to get people talking, I highly recommend this ebook.

Telling Tales by Luke Jermay is available as a PDF download at www.emagicsupply.com

Sep 1, 2007
Nice review. I really enjoyed these notes. Some people may argue that they aren't worth it, but I personally feel they should have been priced higher.

Alot people are going to think, "I payed how much for these two effects?". While the others that see deeper into his writings are really going to see the creative work behind Luke's thinking when he creates a routine or effect.

With one effect of Luke's you get so much more than what's on the surface as long as you can see past the whole premise of viewing it as a single trick. The notes alone gave me tons of ideas from reading this.

Now I wouldn't recommend this to someone that is within their first couple of years of magic, but someone that has been out performing for sometime and understands magic at a level deeper than "He didn't catch me", I really couldn't recommend it more.

Once again, nice review.

-Dave T. Wiltrout-

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results