The Ambitious Card Routine

Sep 3, 2007
Just looking at what you put on the ACR. You described two standard moves, a color change move and a pop-up move.

Everyone here might hate this advice but I'm going to shoot. ACR is very effective without any color changes. If you change the color change bit with another standard move. And then the pop-up, I think it would make much more sense. Just to make sure the specs don't get confused,.

Just looking at what you put on the ACR. You described two standard moves, a color change move and a pop-up move.

Everyone here might hate this advice but I'm going to shoot. ACR is very effective without any color changes. If you change the color change bit with another standard move. And then the pop-up, I think it would make much more sense. Just to make sure the specs don't get confused,.

I like how Tommy Wonder removes the top card from the deck and shows the AC underneath, rather than doing a color change.

Sep 30, 2008
Pittsburgh

Well I agree with you to a point. If you just say, "Look then it changes" then it might confuse them the way you say, but I occasionally use the shapeshifter and say something more along the lines of "If you look obviously it's not on top because I just put it into the middle, but if you just wait a bit *move* then you'll see that it was the top card all along"

who in this thread knows how to find a kid on here named zach lambert...??

if anyone knows him, tell him to contact me

-_- um...

Sep 1, 2007
Canada Eh?
Personally, I don't like to do a lot of double lifts. I would much rather do a pass and really show that the card a rose (risen?) to the top. I don't specifically have an order in my routine, but I try to keep the effect of the card rising to become stronger each time. This is generally my format of an Ambitious card routine:

Spectator chooses a card
Card rises to top (by any method)
Place card in the middle and do any color change to reveal that the card comes to the top
S.W. Elevator as a finisher

Its quick, simple, visual and direct, which is what my goal is to have in an ambitios card routine.

Sep 3, 2007
Ok in response to the color change remark:

I think it works fine. My patter covers any awkwardness, clearly explaining what's going on to the specator. Should I use the Paintbrush Change or the Twirl Change?

Plus it sets me up perfectly for the pop up move.

I like your thinking though. Any other reasoning behind it?

May 31, 2008
color change card to mouth

the erndnase color change is a thing of beauty.

My justification for using it is that it initially supports the fact that the card coming up to the top is very difficult. If you make the card come up to the top multiple times it gets repetitive. You have to make each phase progressively more impressive. Theatrically its genius, you fail to make the card come to the top. Until it morphs into the signed card!

in my acr starts like this :I make the card come up to the top once, and say something about catching them off guard. Then I say, I'll do it again. Since they are watching closely, allegedly this is why it doesn't come up to the top. Then I do a color change and they gasp. It also sets you up for another DL.

Card to mouth is pure ambitious card. You want the card to rise. The mouth is totally ambitious card especially in context:

I have them push the outjogged selection. I snap, and turn over the top card. It isn't there. 10 seconds later they realize the card is in my mouth.

Card to pocket or shoe is not ambitious card. But card to mouth absolutely is. It is the phase that gets the strongest response. People always tell me they love when the card goes to my mouth. You can also use this beautiful misdirection to vanish the deck, or something along those lines.

If I were to simplify ambitious card to 3 simple phases, at least to me, it would be cleanly rising to the top (their card clearly goes in the pack ala tilt, a
color change after you miss, and card to mouth)

Last edited by a moderator:
My ACR is probably the most dynamic piece of card magic I have in my arsenal. I've edited and changed it to be as short or as long as I want and I've experemented with diffrent climaxes to close it out with.

I've done three, four, and six phase ACR routines and I've found that usually for most audiences three phases plus the finale is usually dead on what the people love to see.

I usually structure like this:

Free card selection.
Pass.
Marlo Tilt
Sybil w. Card Control
leg turn over move
slip cut control to second from bottom over hand shuffle off the difference.
Display top five cards, and bottom card.
Glide colour change

Finale:
I've ended the routine with a card to flaming wallet, and Wow! on many ocassions. Wow gets a lot of solid reactions but so does the burning wallet. So I'm split between the two. I use Wow when the wallet wouldn't be allowed.

cheers!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results