The Best T&R Newspaper?

May 21, 2011
Bedford, England
Hey guys,

I'm putting together a show for my first proffesional gig (where I'm getting paid and etc.) and I would really like to add a T&R Newspaper routine to my act. The only one that's really caught my eye is No Tear by JB Magic, but I would prefer a routine where I'm seen tearing the newspaper.

I would prefer to see recommendations that are within a fairly cheap price range.

Thanks,
Josh

XabierL

Elite Member
Aug 14, 2010
I really enjoy Tear Down by Andrew Mayne. Probably not the best option but it's impromptu, easy and examinable. Take a look!

May 29, 2010
Chicago area
Gene Anderson's looks fantastic, but it's a pain to set up and the set up takes forever. A great alternative is Axel Hecklau's Newsflash 2.0, but that is a lot more expensive.

May 21, 2011
Bedford, England
Newsflash does look amazing and I've heard good things about it. Unfortunately, I probably won't get it in time of the show due to its price tag. I might just have to wait till Christmas for that :(

Gene Anderson's is within my price range, but I'm wondering is it a one time prep sort of thing or will I have to prep newspapers after each performance? If this sounds silly, I apologize; I have no knowledge on T&R Newspaper whatsoever :p

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Gene Anderson's is within my price range, but I'm wondering is it a one time prep sort of thing or will I have to prep newspapers after each performance? If this sounds silly, I apologize; I have no knowledge on T&R Newspaper whatsoever :p

ALL T&R NP effects will require a reset . . . you are after all, destroying one thing and creating it restored. That said, the Anderson Tear is a classic but it can be a pain to learn the set-up and not get confused during the presentation . . . there's a famous story of Mark Wilson not opening the paper right even though Greg did it perfect every time . . . Greg was 12 at the time.

I'm not familiar with the other "newer" systems so I can't say anything on that point. The Anderson Tear however, was an industry standard for close to 35 years, mainly because of Henning using it on one of his early specials. Keep your eyes open however, in that some "improvements" exist; Chuck Magnosa has an awesome improvement but I'm uncertain if he's published it or not, but if you get the Anderson Tear it would be wise to search around.

I know you are working with a nominal budget but the best rule with anything you wish to toss into your act is to study as many versions to that effect as you can find. There are numerous T&R NP bits found in various books such as Tarbell, so consider such things as you move forward, not only will it give you the opportunity to experiment with alternative thinking, it could lead to you finding your own method that will serve you best.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I really enjoy Tear Down by Andrew Mayne. Probably not the best option but it's impromptu, easy and examinable. Take a look!

I'm going to second this. It is based on Steinmeyer's Incessant Newspaper. It is impromptu and can be used with the tabloids. I actually saw Andrew Mayne perform and teach this. It is a great effect.

Nov 8, 2007
Richard Osterlind's is the best I've ever seen next to Axel Hecklau's Newsflash. Practical, clean and deliberate handling, and deviously deceptive. Osterlind's can be given away as a souvenir at the end to the spectator who signed it. It can be found on Mind Mysteries Volume 4.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results