The Code: ACAAN?

Jun 27, 2014
Obviously, I'm not asking for a reveal but one of the reviews claims that it's possible to do a "true acaan with the code", among other things. For the few who might not be aware, acaan = any card at any number.

Im just curious what that means exactly.

Could someone describe (from a spectator's pov, and without giving anything away) what an acaan routine would look like using the code?

Or if that's not really possible, can you let me know? I'll still probably be purchasing it anyway but I would like to know if an acaan is possible.

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007
The DVD for The Code teaches an any card at any number effect when you buy it.

The effect: 2 decks are introduced. One is for you, the other is for the spectator. 1 deck is given to the spectator to hold. The magician dribbles the cards, spectator calls stop whenever they want, it really is a free selection, NO FORCE. The magician then tells them that their freely selected card is at the 'x' number in their deck. The spectator takes the deck out out of the box and they count the cards themselves. The magician never touches the deck, and tada, their card is in the exact number in the deck.

Feb 23, 2014
The Code is (BY FAR) the best and simplest mentalism tool I've purchased. It's super simple to learn -- you'll be doing it the same night, and it'll fool just about anybody. The information you're able to obtain with zero memorization or memory work -- not just the identity of their selected card (no force), but the exact location. I'm particularly fond of the routine Andy Nyman teaches in the DVD with a handwritten prediction, and the two deck presentation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 27, 2014
I'm not just looking for an ACAAN, but that one is crazy! If I wasn't already aware of that website's integrity, I would have dismissed it as bogus.

Jun 27, 2014
The DVD for The Code teaches an any card at any number effect when you buy it.

The effect: 2 decks are introduced. One is for you, the other is for the spectator. 1 deck is given to the spectator to hold. The magician dribbles the cards, spectator calls stop whenever they want, it really is a free selection, NO FORCE. The magician then tells them that their freely selected card is at the 'x' number in their deck. The spectator takes the deck out out of the box and they count the cards themselves. The magician never touches the deck, and tada, their card is in the exact number in the deck.

Hmm, not as powerful as I was thinking. But I still want to get the code though. Thanks for the description!

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
One important note in the description by James - the spectator never says their card! They only see it, and think about it. No forces. You immediately know what card they're thinking of, where it is in the deck, and where it is in the deck that THEY have been holding the whole time.

It's dynamite - magic doesn't get much more powerful than that.

Dec 5, 2013
Boston
that description isn't actually an acaan though. and acaan would have the spectator naming choosing the number and the card.

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
acaan would have the spectator naming choosing the number and the card.

Yep, that's correct. That doesn't make it any less powerful - just different. To be specific, arguably the most powerful ACAAN I've ever seen was performed TO MY FACE by Lu Chen in front of (ACAAN KING) David Berglas. I believe it fooled both of us in the moment. But the routine involved saying the card and the number aloud. With The Code, you can reveal the precise location (in a deck they're holding) of a card they are merely thinking of, having never said aloud.

Super powerful stuff!

Sep 2, 2007
London
Yep, that's correct. That doesn't make it any less powerful - just different. To be specific, arguably the most powerful ACAAN I've ever seen was performed TO MY FACE by Lu Chen in front of (ACAAN KING) David Berglas. I believe it fooled both of us in the moment. But the routine involved saying the card and the number aloud. With The Code, you can reveal the precise location (in a deck they're holding) of a card they are merely thinking of, having never said aloud.

Super powerful stuff!

Just out of interest JB, you said it fooled you "in the moment". Does that mean that, now, you know how Lu Chen's ACAAN works?

Dec 5, 2013
Boston
Yep, that's correct. That doesn't make it any less powerful - just different.

yeah I wasn't saying it was bad. I was just pointing out the original poster that it wasn't an acaan. It sound like an awesome routine but I personally would rather lean a stack and not spend $30 on a deck of cards.
-Isaac

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
Just out of interest JB, you said it fooled you "in the moment". Does that mean that, now, you know how Lu Chen's ACAAN works?

I was absolutely 100% fooled in the moment. Afterwards, after losing sleep over it for more nights than I care to admit, I have a theory, but I don't know (and I don't want to know) if I'm correct. I enjoy a good mystery!

Jun 27, 2014
I wound up buying Asi Wind's ACAAN, and when I get payed, I'm gonna buy the code (and hopefully some tycoon cards!). I'm really enjoying this ACAAN. Haven't performed it yet, I want to give it the practice it deserves.

I've devised a method for allowing the spectator to shuffle the cards before hand and the cards remain on the table in a ribbon spread the whole time until the spectator squares the cards and starts counting off the top. I really want to grab BLACKOUT off of the wire as well and combine it with acaan!

j.bayme: good point about the "thought of" card. That does have a lot of powerful potential. I wouldn't be surprised if David Blaine does something similar for "thought of" cards in his specials before the cameras start filming.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results