The Internet: Silent Killer of Talent?

Dec 22, 2007
Long Island, New York
My point is that it exacerbates the problem
What, the problem of their egos? The difference is venom is just a naturally douchey person who would be oblivious to any forms of criticism in the real world or the internet, and he's a good metaphor for some of the people in magic. You can't turn a pile of dog **** into a diamond. He's not wasted talent at all, he has none. HTWW at least has actual credentials for which to base his ego on, and for the record he's brought them up two or three times.

I think in the end, the people that are really dedicated, that really want it, strive for greatness, whether they're being praised or not. I'd like to think they seek out criticism on youtube and the praise is just a by-product.

Sep 1, 2007
What, the problem of their egos? The difference is venom is just a naturally douchey person who would be oblivious to any forms of criticism in the real world or the internet, and he's a good metaphor for some of the people in magic. You can't turn a pile of dog **** into a diamond. He's not wasted talent at all, he has none. HTWW at least has actual credentials for which to base his ego on, and for the record he's brought them up two or three times.

Not so much exacerbating the egos, but without voices of dissent, their behavior will only get worse. Venom used to be just a smug little wanker. But after a year or so of blocking out anything that wasn't mindless adulation, I think we can all recall how he reacted to being called out on his filing of DMCA claims. Joker video anyone? After finally being spanked by the law and forced to read an apology to avoid going to court for perjury, he turned his channel to a far more emotionally manipulative direction that only got worse as time went on.

HTWW has listed his credentials (sort of, I don't think he ever actually said which college he went to or what year he graduated from despite his boasts of how prodigious it was), but attempts at debate with him never end well because he throws a tantrum every time he's caught saying something demonstrably wrong. There are screencaps proving that he censors his comments to remove dissent. This might seem like a small thing, but it means that he'll begin to buy into his own perceived infallibility. The problem only gets worse because of the way he reacts with such disdain to dissent. This is how conspiracy theorists get started.

Have you ever tried to debate with a Holocaust denier? To borrow a turn of phrase from Steven Colbert, it's like boxing a glacier. They hear no dissent because they typically only associate with people who agree with them. And no matter how irrefutable your evidence that their claims are wrong, they will respond by attempting to disparage your intelligence and assert that they are your intellectual superior. Sound familiar? Anyone who actively censors dissent and refuses to hear criticism is on the road to such a mental state.

Dec 22, 2007
Long Island, New York
Not so much exacerbating the egos, but without voices of dissent, their behavior will only get worse. Venom used to be just a smug little wanker. But after a year or so of blocking out anything that wasn't mindless adulation, I think we can all recall how he reacted to being called out on his filing of DMCA claims. Joker video anyone? After finally being spanked by the law and forced to read an apology to avoid going to court for perjury, he turned his channel to a far more emotionally manipulative direction that only got worse as time went on..
Any sane person would change after nearly going to court, venomfangx does not fall into this category. Wasn't the whole forcing to apologize a form of dissent towards his character anyway? Maybe it just came too late.
HTWW has listed his credentials (sort of, I don't think he ever actually said which college he went to or what year he graduated from despite his boasts of how prodigious it was), but attempts at debate with him never end well because he throws a tantrum every time he's caught saying something demonstrably wrong. There are screencaps proving that he censors his comments to remove dissent. This might seem like a small thing, but it means that he'll begin to buy into his own perceived infallibility. The problem only gets worse because of the way he reacts with such disdain to dissent. This is how conspiracy theorists get started.
He openly admitted to censoring people that don't watch his videos or that violate the TOS. It's like me going to Ellusionist and giving reviews on their products while openly admitting I never bought any of them. I don't recall any tantrums, the worst I've seen is him just scrambling for words and resorting to belief James Hansen was a liar by fiat after being owned by that third party. I doubt you've watched any more of his videos than you've had to, so you probably don't see that there's plenty of dissent in the comments sections (usually with worse grammar than the ass patting ones :D). Venomfangx has none. And he went to the University of Michigan and Chicago-Kent. Again, you have to watch his videos...
they will respond by attempting to disparage your intelligence and assert that they are your intellectual superior. Sound familiar?
Yes, it sounds like TF, TAA, HTWW, VFX, most T.V pundits, most magazine editors, most columnists, and people in general. Even you steer, looking back at the days of you and Brad arguing over nearly everything, were reluctant to admit you were wrong. Hell, children spend their whole lives being educated by a single curriculum, with absolutely zero dissent, and yet there is still a wealth of ideas among the people (outside of Washington at least >.<). Sure, maybe these circle jerking sessions corrupt a few, but I'm beginning to think it's more of a measure of character that you develop at an early age and willingness to work for what you want than anything.

Sep 1, 2007
Any sane person would change after nearly going to court, venomfangx does not fall into this category. Wasn't the whole forcing to apologize a form of dissent towards his character anyway? Maybe it just came too late.

Not so much dissent as the legal consequences of his actions. And while his beliefs didn't change, his attitude only switched tactics. It was too little too late. All he learned was that being belligerent got him in trouble, so he switched to emotional manipulation in order to trick others into fighting his (imagined) battles for him.

I'm not saying that more active criticism would have stopped him from being completely clown**** nuts. Just that his desire to surround himself with sycophants emboldened him to trying more daring tactics such as the DMCA claims. In other words, he tricked himself into thinking he was invincible.

I don't recall any tantrums, the worst I've seen is him just scrambling for words and resorting to belief James Hansen was a liar by fiat after being owned by that third party.

More or less how I define it. If you have to use tactics like that, you're being a child.

I doubt you've watched any more of his videos than you've had to, so you probably don't see that there's plenty of dissent in the comments sections (usually with worse grammar than the ass patting ones :D).

Okay, you've got me. I could only watch a few videos before the sheer level of droning arrogance and smugness made me violently ill. I used to be the same way in high school. You think I'm bad now, you ain't seen nothin'. After mentally kicking my own ass, I've made an effort to change, so it really hits a sour note with me to see that sort of narcissism coming from others.

That said, there are screencaps out there of people who commented with reasonable arguments and links that disproved some of his claims. They were deleted.

Again, I think the guy really thinks he's bullet-proof. I see in him many of the same qualities as conspiracy theorists whom I foolishly tried to argue with. And... I hate to say it... the same arrogant self-assurance that actually made me a pariah in my teenage years.

Yes, it sounds like TF, TAA, HTWW, VFX, most T.V pundits, most magazine editors, most columnists, and people in general.

Granted, but let me quickly clarify. Instead of a rhetorical question, what I should have said was, "If this sounds familiar, it's because we all know somebody like that. It's an easy trap to fall into, but a dangerous one nevertheless."

Even you steer, looking back at the days of you and Brad arguing over nearly everything, were reluctant to admit you were wrong.

I have a habit of being stubborn and emotionally invested in my ideas, but I have admitted to being wrong (at least in private) multiple times.

Sure, maybe these circle jerking sessions corrupt a few, but I'm beginning to think it's more of a measure of character that you develop at an early age and willingness to work for what you want than anything.

I'm sure that's a factor, but my intent is to keep those few from becoming corrupted. As I said, my ego would be much worse today had I not had people in my life who were there to call me on my bull****.

I can't change people. They have to do that themselves. All I can do is tell them one of the dangers they're going to face on the road to mastery.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results