The Magician and the Cardsharp

Jul 2, 2008
Hey T11, Reuben here. I'm on a library computer right now...because I'm at a library. I picked up a great book called "The Magician and the Cardsharp" By Karl Johnson. I've heard ofit before but never picked it up until now. The book is from what I've been told based on a true story, but obviously the writer can take liberties. It's about Dai Vernon and a little of his history, and his search for a guy who claims to be able to perfectly centre deal, which was aboslutely unheard of and even laughed at my card cheaters and magicians alike at the time. The centre deal would in effect, eliminate the hurdle created by the cut before the deal in poker, since any stock created during his shuffles would be able to be dealt from the centre of the deck. I'm about halfway through, and it's great. It quotes Erdnase and basically, if you're any type of card magician, you'll love ther chapters about The Expert at the Card Table, summaries of how cheaters cheat in not only card games, and also the history of how Dai Vernon got into magic.

I found out he was a silhouette cutter, and had tremendous stage fright.

Anyways, if you get a chance to get to a library or even a bookstore, take a look!

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Yeah it was a good book.Quite boring in some chapters though.
Ive had had it for over a year and only 3 pages to go but I keep getting more and more books to read.
The divine comedy is what im spending most of my reading time on.
Im in the bowels of hell.

Jul 2, 2008
Hey, finished the book in two days. The beginning chapters about Kennedy were very boring, but a very cool read in general. Great book for any working card technician... if you're a coin guy, don't bother!

Pick up "Hiding the Elephant: How Magicians Invented the Impossible and Learned to Disappear" by Jim Steinimeyer. GREAT READ on turn of the century illusionists, the battle over secrets as well as bios on really interesting magicians.

Jun 30, 2009
philippines
for me, the better ones are those changes that you can within a blink of an eye... changes that will make the spectator scratch their heads and ask "where did the other card go?". Thanks for the tips about changes. I hope there will be more suggestions and comments on what's good and what's better... thanks ^_^

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results