The new revolution in magic?

Oct 6, 2007
Theory11 is about revolutionizing magic.
We're here to push magic forward.
It's us, the young ones, that will innovate the art.

So what do you think of this...

A competition of sorts. Submit a new and invented trick by YOU. Incldue a video and a description. Theory11, being the judges, will decide the best tricks and then publish them in a book.

The book is then sold on the site, and people with published tricks get a free signed copy of the book, as well as loads of other prizes.

How about this for innovation?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
i never really post in the forums on this site or whatever, but there's a bangin' media section so i come here every now and again and i saw this thread.

i'd love to enter, when/where should i submit my stuff. do you want like a youtube link? let me know.. i'm interested. and if you need someone to step up and get involved in planning this I'll do that too (i dunno how far you've gone in the developmental process, but if you haven't gone far, I'm pretty much a leader-type and can help y'all get organized). obviously the first thing that must be done is get the attention of theory11.

>>>natureg0d

Sep 1, 2007
"It's us, the young ones, that will innovate the art"

You know, I'm not so sure. Innovation is most likely to occour by those who've had enough years studying a subject to be familiar with what's come before and then to build upon it. That person may then be capable of not only building on the foundations, but on taking things in a whole new direction; innovation.

Einstein revolutionised physics; but it's not like he didn't study the existing body of work first. Did Elvis start by playing rock n roll?

Have some respect for experience!

Sep 1, 2007
Missouri, USA
I'm sorry, I hate to sound negative towards you but I really don't think this would be good (nor effective). I think it would be better if we spent more time discussing how we perform, not what we perform. Personally, I don't get to see many other magicians in person and I think that's something that we really need to do. I would love to be able to see some of the artists here performing on camera (un-edited footage), as I think it unlikely that I would catch one in person at this point. That or written stories or beliefs about magic would be amazing to run into. Forget new tricks, there's so much out there to work with already. I want to hear what it takes, what it's like, and how it's changed somebody being a 'professional' magician. Just my ideas, I really don't like these "submit your trick and win a prize!"-type things...

Peace

Sep 1, 2007
i suppose i agree... and about theory11 selling it--where would the majority of the money go? to the website or to the creators of the effects?

Sep 1, 2007
A competition? I don't understand. We already have the submit a trick option, thats what its for. And, who else will see this video? I don't get this. I don't need everyone else being able to see my video and steal the effect right out from under me. Not only that, but effects need to be worked on for along time before they reach there peek. So this whole thing does not make much sense to me.

Sep 1, 2007
I don't think it would work too well. First you must question each effect's originality, which is debatable. That could cause problems. Then in order to publish them you would need to get permission from the creators of sleights they use to do so. I think we would just see alot of variations of old tricks. I doubt we would see much original. I think the "submit a trick" thing is fine for now.

Oct 6, 2007
Many people around here have claimed to have created their own effects. It is likely that they are probably not fully original or aren't worth being sold on their own (submit a trick).

Submitting a trick is in no way revolutionary or innovative. You guys saying "Stick witht he submite a trick for now", is exactly why the magic today isn't going forward. It's because of this mentality that holds the advancing of magic back.

Theory11 is about pushing magic forward, revolutionizing and innovating the art. Let people show what they have. The point of the book is to let people explore their imagination and come up with effects that may not be suitable to 'submit'.

A book, with all the best effects created by the T11 community itself IS one of the ways that magic can be pushed forward. Let people show off what they have. Who knows? Some hidden effect or talent could be found..

Sep 1, 2007
In that case, you should indicate that this is an uniformed opinion before stating it:

""Stick witht he submite a trick for now", is exactly why the magic today isn't going forward. It's because of this mentality that holds the advancing of magic back."

My uninformed opinion is that the "submit a trick" button is doing nothing to hold back the advancement of magic. In fact, I would go so far as to suggest that it's total impact on the advancement of the body of magical knowledge in the world is so close to zero as makes no difference.

If you're interested in pushing forward the boundaries of magic, I suggest you read carefully Wayne Houchin's recent post in a topic in this very forum. And meanwhile, immerse yourself in the new books and DVDs being published by magicians all the time - some of it's rubbish, but what isn't represents the cutting edge.

Sep 1, 2007
Submitting a trick is in no way revolutionary or innovative.

You're right. It isn't. And neither is your idea because it's the exact same thing with more volume and a contest.

You guys saying "Stick witht he submite a trick for now", is exactly why the magic today isn't going forward. It's because of this mentality that holds the advancing of magic back.

Give me a break. With relatively few exceptions, the new material being released today has been in the works for years. Most of the people here who have come up with their own effects haven't been performing them more than a few months to a year at best. And what does break that mold is probably something they want to hold onto a little longer and ocntinue working on.

A book, with all the best effects created by the T11 community itself IS one of the ways that magic can be pushed forward.

That's assuming it would be good.

This idea is bogus. I'm going to flat out say it, the magic community really doesn't need a flood of new material. It needs new thinkers.

We're already recieving a steady stream of new effects, gimmicks, and props. What we really need is someone who actually is revolutionary. Do you know what revolutionary actually means?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results