The new revolution in magic?

Dec 4, 2007
www.thrallmind.com
Hmm. Okay, forget the prizes. Forget the money. Forget selling the book.

Why not make a thread for members to post themselves performing their original ideas. The T11 community could then vote on which ones they liked the most. Then say...the top five or ten could submit their method. Someone could then compile all these into a PDF and publish it on a website. For free.

New ideas being freely passed around to help others of the profession. Other members could then refine the effects. Make changes. Possibly even make them better.

No need for anyone to profit monetarily. People can profit this way with possible new knowledge and effects to add to their repertoire.

Just my .02

-ThrallMind

Sep 1, 2007
Why not make a thread for members to post themselves performing their original ideas. The T11 community could then vote on which ones they liked the most. Then say...the top five or ten could submit their method. Someone could then compile all these into a PDF and publish it on a website. For free.

I maintain my stance that a lot of people here don't need more methods. And the idea of people on this forum voting which effect gets to go into a book is absurd. I will not consider 90% of the users here qualified to make such a decision.

New ideas being freely passed around to help others of the profession. Other members could then refine the effects. Make changes. Possibly even make them better.

Magic is not just about methods. Methods are not going to revolutionize the art. They're the most useless part of it.

Dec 4, 2007
www.thrallmind.com
I wholeheartedly agree with you, Steerpike, that magic is much more than method.

Now, I am not trying to start an argument or be rude with this. That being said:

Could you please tell me what would be revolutionary? You say we need new thinkers. You say we need someone who is revolutionary.

Would a DVD about creating your own persona, performance, and good patter be revolutionary?

I'm just curious what your idea of what revolutionary entails or what a new thinker needs to be.

-ThrallMind

Sep 1, 2007
Could you please tell me what would be revolutionary? You say we need new thinkers. You say we need someone who is revolutionary.

Would a DVD about creating your own persona, performance, and good patter be revolutionary?

I'm just curious what your idea of what revolutionary entails or what a new thinker needs to be.

The first two magicians I can think of in terms of being revolutionary are David Blaine and Derren Brown.

David truly brought magic into the mainstream via television. I'm going to outright say it: World's Greatest Magic sucked. It was ineptly produced and pompous. David changed the focus. He made no grandiose claims, he kept the focus on the audience, and he made magic truly acceptable for adults by performing for people from all walks of life.

Every time I hear somebody say, "'Watch closely' isn't presentation!" I just want to give them a full-armed slap and tell them to get out of their ivory towers and start performing like magicians are supposed to. Love him or hate him, David has helped the art as a whole by elevating magic to mainstream entertainment that's acceptable for everybody.

Derren has one of the most original acts today. He's brilliant. I'm growing more and more convinced that his methods can be found in any Bob Cassidy book, but his presentations are so good that nobody figures it out. Derren's persona and performance style are absolutely incredible and he's truly an example for us to follow.

People come up with all kinds of ridiculous explanations for how Derren accomplishes what he does, the most popular being NLP. Bull. He's a magician and mentalist. He's using the same material we do, but he's made into something more than just basic trickery by thinking creatively.

We need more people like that.

Dec 4, 2007
www.thrallmind.com
Again, I agree with you. So then, what we need are people who are innovators in theory and presentation. And we can see this in the media section of T11.

Thanks for clearing that up!

-ThrallMind

Sep 1, 2007
People come up with all kinds of ridiculous explanations for how Derren accomplishes what he does, the most popular being NLP. Bull. He's a magician and mentalist. He's using the same material we do, but he's made into something more than just basic trickery by thinking creatively.

Sorry don't agree with you on this part. Derren has got someone think there red car was black, among other things. I'm not sure if you would call it NLP, but he is not using the same material we do in some cases. Unless I'm missing something.

Dec 4, 2007
www.thrallmind.com
Sorry don't agree with you on this part. Derren has got someone think there red car was black, among other things. I'm not sure if you would call it NLP, but he is not using the same material we do in some cases. Unless I'm missing something.

He actually does admit to using some NLP and suggestion in his Pure Effect notes.

Sep 1, 2007

Derren is doing what few other magicians attempt: he's making his word reality.

It's what we're supposed to do, but few people actually possess the ambition, confidence, and presence to successfully pull off.

He actually does admit to using some NLP and suggestion in his Pure Effect notes.

Derren has actually spoken with the creators of NLP, and considers it equal parts basic linguistic science and New Age crap.

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando Fl
T11 targets the younger generation, for us to learn magic, not to create or innovate, we are going to do that when we grow up, when we have experience, skill, style, etc. Not now when we are still learning.

BTW I'm not really into mentalism, what is NLP?

PS How is something revolutionary if it's not even worth the submit a trick link?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
BTW I'm not really into mentalism, what is NLP?

Neuro-Linguistic Programming. It's a blend of linguistic science, hypnosis, and New Age crap. It's a pseudo-science really.

If the idea intrigues you, you're much better off studying the works of Docc Hilford, Kenton Knepper, and Luke Jermay.

PS How is something revolutionary if it's not even worth the submit a trick link?

That's a very good question...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results