The Paper Engine by Aaron Fisher: In-Depth Review

Sep 1, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Hey guys!

So here it is! The review that you have all been waiting for! I recently purchased a copy of The Paper Engine by Aaron Fisher (nice work man!) and I have to say that this is probably the best buy I have ever got. So without further ado, here is The Paper Engine!

The book starts out with credits, introductions, etc. I took the time to read them and learned a lot about Aaron before the was big.

Please Note: Not every effect is included in this review because of a) there are wayyyy too many to include and b) i only included my favorites

The Ideas/ Effect:
(Each idea/effect has thoughts and commentaries included that have Aaron's thoughts and some variations).

The Gravity Half Pass.

This is probably the most amazing part of the book. The Gravity Half Pass is Aaron's handling of the half pass, and boy is it good. Virtually angle proof, it is accomplished in the simple motion of raising the deck from dealer's grip to the fingertips. It is an amazing move, and is the backbone for most of the tricks in this book. I can't go into much detail without fear of exposure, but I have to say that this move is (almost) worth the price of the book alone!

Difficulty- Intermediate-Advanced

A Simple Sandwich.

This is a trick based off of the GHP (Gravity Half Pass). The basic effect is as follows: A card is chosen and lost in the deck. One red King is placed on top of the deck, the other on the bottom. The lower King vanishes. When the cards are next spread on the table, the two Kings are now on top, sandwiching the selection. This is a great "quick" trick, but requires you to have mastered the GHP (as do most tricks in the book).

Difficulty- Intermediate

A Half Pass Variation.

Title pretty much says all. Just a variation on the GHP.

Revolver.

Basically what happens is the spectator names a card in the deck and it turns face-up. This trick does not have an "effect" portion that explains what the spectator sees, so until I actually learn this effect, I can't give a great discription.

The One-Handed Popover.

Taught in The Trilogy, this sleight allows you to suddenly make a selected card outjog itself in a face-down deck face-up. It's a great sleight to learn, and can be used by itself as a quick trick.

Difficult- Intermediate

Hello Goodbye.

Much like Subway from the Trilogy, a chosen card is pushed in one half of the deck in the left hand and appears outjogged in the half in the right hand. Uses the OHP (One Handed Popover).

Difficulty- Simple if you know the OHP

Pinch Me, I Think I'm Falling.

Another effect based off of the OHP, you pull a selected card from a dribble.

Difficulty- (see Hello Goodbye)

The Nowhere Pass+Additional Handlings+The Advanced Nowhere Pass.

Aaron's Handling of the bluff pass.

Difficulty- Not easy but not hard.

Bluff Replacement Subtlety.

Just a little subtlety for the Nowhere Pass that makes it more convincing.

The Illusion Control.

A control that allows you to control the selection to where ever you want in the deck while the spectator thinks it is lost (basically any other control).

Difficulty- Simple

The Outjog Herman Pass+The Academic Outjog Herman Pass.

The Herman Pass with an outjogged card. 'Nuff said.

The Undercover Switch+The Forced Undercover Switch

A method for switching outjogged cards as they are stripped from the pack. Takes a while to get the handling down, but it is something that can be added to any routine to make it better. One version is forced, one isn't.

Difficulty- Intermediate

The Useful Switch.

This move allows you to take the 4 aces, and with no funny moves, switch 3 of the 4 aces with indifferent cards.

Difficulty- Intermediate

Decking the Top.

Aaron's method for replacing a palmed card. Seemed a bit out of place to me, but I have never seen somebody teach how to put the card back after it is palmed.

Difficulty- Can you put a card on top of the deck? Then you can do this move...

A Diminishing Lift.

Aaron's handling for showing the last card in a diminishing left sequence.

Difficulty- Intermediate

The All Together Now Shift.

A control that allows you to control multiple cards to the top of the deck at once.

Difficulty- Intermediate

The Omen.

An effect where 3 cards transpose with the 3 sixes. Has a storyline that has to do with Damien (the devil's son) and his magic powers.

Difficulty- Intermediate

Golden Nugget.

4 Queens disappear one by one and then reappear just as impossibly. A good effect by my standards. You have to know the GHP.

Difficulty- Intermediate

2001, An Ace Odyssey.

An ace assembly trick. I haven't had time to try it, so I can't give much of an opinion.

Difficulty- I haven't really tried it, so I can't say.

Revolution No. 9.

A spectator takes a card from a faceup spread. The performer places a card facedown into a squared deck, leaving it protruding from the front. With a wave of his hand, the card is now faceup. With another wave of his hand, the entire deck turns facedown! This is a very visual effect, and I will definately use this.

Difficulty- Intermediate

Helter Skelter.

A chosen card changes back colors, and then changes back. With a final wave, the deck changes color. This effect is very similar to Revolution No. 9. They actually go great together... now that I think about it.

Difficulty- Intermediate

Search and Destroy

A sandwich effect where the spectator does all the work. A great way to get you audience to be part of the show.

Difficulty- Easy

A Star Is Born.

5 random cards are chosen, placed into different parts of the deck, and pushed flush. With a quick snap, a previously chosen card (one of the 5) appears faceup outjogged in the deck. This uses the GHP and OHP.

Difficulty- Advanced because it forces you to know 2 of the hardest sleights in the book.

The Tax Man.

A Collectors Routine: 4 red spot cards are used to find the three selections. This effect reminded me a lot of D&D's Collectors routine. Oh wait, maybe it's because I just mastered it. Oooookay.

The Standing Challenge.

An effect where a chosen card appears on either the top or bottom of the deck; wherever the spectator thinks. Didn't really like this one because it uses psychology, but that's just me.

Difficulty- Simple-Intermediate

Here, There, And Everywhere.

A signed card is lost in the deck. The 4 Kings are placed in the deck to find the card, but one by one they jump to the performer's pocket instead. Finally, the deck is placed in the hands of the performer, given a squeeze, and the deck melts away leaving only the Kings sandwiching the chosen card. I think this is one of the best effects in the book., and is pretty practical. Could be used as a stage or street effect.

So guys, I hope you liked my review. This book is amazing, and I say you go and pick it up right now!

//David.Misner::

Last edited by a moderator:
I will be purchasing this as soon as possible.

What did you pay for it?
Are alot of the effects using gimmicks? (whether or not you can easily make them is irrelevant, I just don't like carrying around gimmicked cards)

Sep 2, 2007
Very nice extensive review. :)

I will be purchasing this as soon as possible.

What did you pay for it?
Are alot of the effects using gimmicks? (whether or not you can easily make them is irrelevant, I just don't like carrying around gimmicked cards)
The Paper Engine can be bought directly from Aaron Fisher's website for $35.00. Although I do not have the book, the parts that I have read have not required gimmicks. The gravity half pass and other sleights that are taught are fantastic, and Aaron Fisher is great.

Cheers,
JTM

Reactions: Karo-K54
Sep 1, 2007
No my friends, it is gimmick free! Most of the tricks do rely at some point on the GHP, but it is a killer move to learn, so either way it is worth it. Also, please note that the book is not for beginners, but it does have masterful instruction, so you should not get lost while learning from it. It requires patience, but work hard at it and you will get it

Reactions: Karo-K54
Sep 1, 2007
San Francisco, CA
No my friends, it is gimmick free! Most of the tricks do rely at some point on the GHP, but it is a killer move to learn, so either way it is worth it. Also, please note that the book is not for beginners, but it does have masterful instruction, so you should not get lost while learning from it. It requires patience, but work hard at it and you will get it

I couldnt have said it better myself!

Aug 31, 2007
Australia
Hello Goodbye.

Much like Subway from the Trilogy, a chosen card is pushed in one half of the deck in the left hand and appears outjogged in the half in the right hand. Uses the OHP (One Handed Popover).

Don't you mean Card Across? Because Subway is a sandwich effect.

Nice review btw.

Jack

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2007
Decatur, GA
I love this book! The quality of the paperback is great. Aaron is a masterful teacher and the photos capture just the right moments to aid in teaching the sleights. The sleights themselves are wonderful and fun to practice.
This book is not for beginners but the practice of removing tension from cardwork is something that I wish someone had made me focus on when I first started. One of my favorite things about the book is that after each sleight is taught Aaron gives you his thoughts and comments about it. He doesn't just give you a tirck or routine to put it in he tells you what he thinks about it and why and how he uses it.
Even if your skill isn't up to a level to perform the sleights in this book the advise and direction is something to consider.

Cheers!

Sep 1, 2007
Well written review!

I've got the paperback version and the quality of the book is top class! Those who are serious students of The Paper Engine should get Aaron's lecture dvd 'Aaron Speaks'. This lecture was conducted in France (no worries, Aaron conversed in English), and although he does not teach the Gravity Half Pass (GHP) in details, it is shown how it looks like in real time and he also mentioned some tips in how and why the GHP works. Also some of the tricks in the book are performed as well. A very good supplement for The Paper Engine.

I can't wait for your next release, Aaron!

Cheers,
Alvin

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results