The Pass

Sep 2, 2007
There is the Gravity Half Pass by Aaron Fisher, which is one of my favorite passes to execute, as well as the Side Pass, the Hermann Pass, and the Classic Pass.

Cheers,
JTM

Oct 21, 2007
there are tons of different passes out there, too many to name so just check out these dvds:

Ken Krenzle- The Pass
&
On the Pass- Richard Kaufman

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Top two passes of all time: Paul le Paul's Spread Pass and Gregory Wilson's Backstage Pass. Nothing beats them, so don't try to deny it. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
Greg Wilson's Backstage Pass is an awesome but of passery. I'm also very partial to the Midnight Shift in all its forms.

Jan 13, 2008
New York, USA
I love the top card cover pass. I believe it's taught in Jennings' book. It's probably the only trully invisible pass where you don't need movement to cover the action. The sleight covers itself. I hate how hyped up the pass has gotton since Ellusionist released its dvds. The pass in my opinion isn't much of an important sleight. Instead of trying to learn all these complicated moves, you should try to master the basics like the double lift. Another problem I have with the pass is that people use it for tricks like the ambitious card where they only need to control one card. The beauty of the pass is that you are cutting the entire deck. There are countless ways of controlling one card invisibly without a pass.
Alex

Sep 1, 2007
Los Angeles, California
I love the top card cover pass. I believe it's taught in Jennings' book. It's probably the only trully invisible pass where you don't need movement to cover the action. The sleight covers itself. I hate how hyped up the pass has gotton since Ellusionist released its dvds. The pass in my opinion isn't much of an important sleight. Instead of trying to learn all these complicated moves, you should try to master the basics like the double lift. Another problem I have with the pass is that people use it for tricks like the ambitious card where they only need to control one card. The beauty of the pass is that you are cutting the entire deck. There are countless ways of controlling one card invisibly without a pass.
Alex

Very good point. The only time I'll use a pass is for an ACR routine, but I don't really go for those kinds of things anymore.
Recently, the only kind of pass I use is the one card pass which controls the selected card to the bottom instead of the top leaving the whole deck the same position as it was.

Jan 13, 2008
New York, USA
Very good point. The only time I'll use a pass is for an ACR routine, but I don't really go for those kinds of things anymore.
Recently, the only kind of pass I use is the one card pass which controls the selected card to the bottom instead of the top leaving the whole deck the same position as it was.
Which one card pass are you talking about? Are you sure its a pass?

Another point I want to make, although it really has nothing to do with this thread is that the pass in the ambitious card for face down "coming to the top" phases is pretty useless. People underestimate the power of the double lift probably because they do it wrong. I think the double is one of the hardest sleights to perfect as well as one of the most important sleights to try to perfect. The pass wasn't meant for the ambitious card. The only time when I believe it would be somewhat appropriate in the routine is if you want to make the card come to the top face up. You can use the pass to do this in a very flashy and visual way. BUT, this will only work if your classic pass is pretty damn perfect.

Alex

Sep 1, 2007
I'm not wild about the idea of using the pass for the ACR - the method is too close to the effect.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
I loved Brad Christian's riffle pass in the ACR on CC2 dvd. And that is the only one i would use in ACR. I practise pass every day and i want to master it, not because i want to use it as often as i can, but just to know that i can master it (im that kind of guy lol). And i love to see a magician, who has mastered the pass, use it a two or three times in a row. Even that i know how its done, it still amase me. And i also heard that Aaron Fisher is one of the best at it, so i would love if he would put Classic Pass, Invisible Pass or Riffle Pass on 1on 1 section (i know that there is a Herman Pass there). And i would love if someone could post some links to videos od Aaron doing a pass, if there is any.

Tnx

There are ALOT of versions on the pass, but short, there is the classic and Hermann, and other types ( tabled, Elliot, Wrist Turns .. etc )

Classic pass is the oldest, however the because its the hardest to pull off invisibly ( though its possible, read further ), cardmen along the years tried to make out variations and covers to do it. Houdini is said to have a very good pass, which uses the *rock*, which you see alot these days ( pack goes up and down ).
Cover pass is one good cover ( I know 3 versions personally ), along with the Dribble pass because it covers the action with a larger action. The Riffle pass became a favorite among pass users but its RARELY done well. The riffle pass itself has alot of variations, Peter Duffie's does it the best, along with the late Derek Dingle, Richard Kaufman and Ken Krenzel ( who is the fastest alive doing the pass, in his video he said he once reached the 120 pass/minute, thats 2 passes in a second, different breaks by the way ). Luke Jermey has a very nice version as well in his pengiun magic download ( will review it in the reviews forum ).

Classic pass versions include also the Braue Pass ( wierd version in Expert Card Technqiue ), Jiggle Pass ( *jigging* the deck .. can't put it in other words, haha ) and Half a Jiggle ( by Kaufman, squaring the deck in a flourishy way ) The Jig ( improvment on jiggle pass by Gary Ouellet ), and the special type of the classic pass called the Elliot Pass ( by Dr.Elliot ), along with Krenzel's version of it called K-E Pass ( in Krenzel's book written by Harry Lorayne or in Krenzel's Pass video ), and R. Paul Wilson's of it called West Coast Pass ( in his website www.rpaulwilson.com ), all are doing the classic pass is a very special way. The clasic pass is a very useful false cut too.

Living masters of the classic pass include Bill Klush ( squaring up the deck, no movment ), Ken Krenzel ( riffle passs ), Richard Kaufman ( riffle pass ), Roy Wolten is rumored to have a darn good pass along with Jerry Sowartz and Peter Duffie, also from what I've seen, Luke Jermey has a darn good pass as well. Akira Fuji is well known for his pass too online.

Thats for the classic. The Hermann passes are two types, turnovers and none-turnovers. Turnover passes include the normal one by Hermann, and its versions ( Expert Card Technique, Dr. Daley's version in Stars of Magic book ). Hugard and Braue published the first booklet ever devised for a single sleight in magic, called The Invisible Pass, which is a version on the Hermann pass that is very good ( my favorite ), it featured a new mechanic to transpose the packets, which later being used by many cardmen.

None-Turnover Hermann passes include the Malone Shift by Bill Malone ( Steve Drauns book Secrets Draun from UnderGround ), Midnight Shift by Steve Draun ( explained correctly in Steve Draun's book ), Graveyard shift ( Bill Malone ), Back Stage Pass by Joel Givens ( different from Gregory Wilson's pass, keep that in mind ), and A.Fisher's Outjogged Herrman pass, Ortiz Shift by Darwin Ortiz ( although you show the bottom card here in a natural gesture, it also offers better angles to the left, which is the weak spot of all Hermanns ), Spread Pass by Lepaul, and Gary Ouellet's The Paradigm shift ( improvment on the Braue Invisible Pass, I think I got the correct spelling .. ). Also, there are 2 cover pass, one with the bottom card ( Richard Kaufman ) and one with the top card ( I have no idea who invented it .. ).

Thats for the Hermann passes, there are other types of passes ( that is, other ways of transposing the packets ), including the Fingerpalm pass ( Expert Card Techinque ), Tabled passes ( uses in cheating, there are ALOT of versions in this area ) and Wrist Turn Passes ( Ed Marlo's work on this is HUGE ), SideSweep Pass ( Kaufman's CardMagic book ) Chariler Pass ( which can be done invisibly, Ed Marlo has a technique ), a Lee Asher pass ( "2nd fastest pass in the world" is the name? ), Jeff Wessmiller Pass ( tabled pass .. ) and Side Steal Pass ( Gary Ouellet ). Not to mention Erdnase's special passes like S.W.E Shift and Open Shift. Also Guy Hollowingwroth's Pass, which is the sister of Lennart Green's Float Pass, both are perfect when sitting at a table, though suffer from angles. Bruce Cervon Pass ( I don't recall its name to be honest, youtube Cervon Pass to see it ) is a very good pass that has way better angles than Green's and Guy's, you have a safe area of 180 degrees and is easier to do and very elegant.

Whew, that was a long post, haha. Hope this helps. These info are gatherd from Krenzel's video on the pass and Gary Ouellet's book on it. Of course, if you want to learn the pass get the proper resource, this post is just to show you how many versions of the pass are there, and some names of the fomous ones.

After all this, my favorite pass would be Braue's Invisible pass, Ortiz Shift, my own pass and Luke Jermey's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 13, 2008
New York, USA
There are ALOT of versions on the pass, but short, there is the classic and Hermann, and other types ( tabled, Elliot, Wrist Turns .. etc )

Classic pass is the oldest, however the because its the hardest to pull off invisibly ( though its possible, read further ), cardmen along the years tried to make out variations and covers to do it. Houdini is said to have a very good pass, which uses the *rock*, which you see alot these days ( pack goes up and down ).
Cover pass is one good cover ( I know 3 versions personally ), along with the Dribble pass because it covers the action with a larger action. The Riffle pass became a favorite among pass users but its RARELY done well. The riffle pass itself has alot of variations, Peter Duffie's does it the best, along with the late Derek Dingle, Richard Kaufman and Ken Krenzel ( who is the fastest alive doing the pass, in his video he said he once reached the 120 pass/minute, thats 2 passes in a second, different breaks by the way ). Luke Jermey has a very nice version as well in his pengiun magic download ( will review it in the reviews forum ).

Classic pass versions include also the Braue Pass ( wierd version in Expert Card Technqiue ), Jiggle Pass ( *jigging* the deck .. can't put it in other words, haha ) and Half a Jiggle ( by Kaufman, squaring the deck in a flourishy way ) The Jig ( improvment on jiggle pass by Gary Ouellet ), and the special type of the classic pass called the Elliot Pass ( by Dr.Elliot ), along with Krenzel's version of it called K-E Pass ( in Krenzel's book written by Harry Lorayne or in Krenzel's Pass video ), and R. Paul Wilson's of it called West Coast Pass ( in his website www.rpaulwilson.com ), all are doing the classic pass is a very special way. The clasic pass is a very useful false cut too.

Living masters of the classic pass include Bill Klush ( squaring up the deck, no movment ), Ken Krenzel ( riffle passs ), Richard Kaufman ( riffle pass ), Roy Wolten is rumored to have a darn good pass along with Jerry Sowartz and Peter Duffie, also from what I've seen, Luke Jermey has a darn good pass as well. Akira Fuji is well known for his pass too online.

Thats for the classic. The Hermann passes are two types, turnovers and none-turnovers. Turnover passes include the normal one by Hermann, and its versions ( Expert Card Technique, Dr. Daley's version in Stars of Magic book ). Hugard and Braue published the first booklet ever devised for a single sleight in magic, called The Invisible Pass, which is a version on the Hermann pass that is very good ( my favorite ), it featured a new mechanic to transpose the packets, which later being used by many cardmen.

None-Turnover Hermann passes include the Malone Shift by Bill Malone ( Steve Drauns book Secrets Draun from UnderGround ), Midnight Shift by Steve Draun ( explained correctly in Steve Draun's book ), Graveyard shift ( Bill Malone ), Back Stage Pass by Joel Givens ( different from Gregory Wilson's pass, keep that in mind ), and A.Fisher's Outjogged Herrman pass, Ortiz Shift by Darwin Ortiz ( although you show the bottom card here in a natural gesture, it also offers better angles to the left, which is the weak spot of all Hermanns ), Spread Pass by Lepaul, and Gary Ouellet's The Paradigm shift ( improvment on the Braue Invisible Pass, I think I got the correct spelling .. ). Also, there are 2 cover pass, one with the bottom card ( Richard Kaufman ) and one with the top card ( I have no idea who invented it .. ).

Thats for the Hermann passes, there are other types of passes ( that is, other ways of transposing the packets ), including the Fingerpalm pass ( Expert Card Techinque ), Tabled passes ( uses in cheating, there are ALOT of versions in this area ) and Wrist Turn Passes ( Ed Marlo's work on this is HUGE ), SideSweep Pass ( Kaufman's CardMagic book ) Chariler Pass ( which can be done invisibly, Ed Marlo has a technique ), a Lee Asher pass ( "2nd fastest pass in the world" is the name? ), Jeff Wessmiller Pass ( tabled pass .. ) and Side Steal Pass ( Gary Ouellet ). Not to mention Erdnase's special passes like S.W.E Shift and Open Shift.

Whew, that was a long post, haha. Hope this helps. These info are gatherd from Krenzel's video on the pass and Gary Ouellet's book on it. Of course, if you want to learn the pass get the proper resource, this post is just to show you how many versions of the pass are there, and some names of the fomous ones.

After all this, my favorite pass would be Braue's Invisible pass, Ortiz Shift, my own pass and Luke Jermey's.
Wow great post!!! You sure are a pass expert. BTW is Lepaul's card book worth getting?

Wow great post!!! You sure are a pass expert. BTW is Lepaul's card book worth getting?

Thanks for the words :)

The book is great, I have to say that I just skimmed it, not read it completly, but for 14$ you can't get any wrong actually.

However, if you're aiming to learn the spread pass, although the book is great but you might want to look into Card College ( 3 I believe, I'm not sure, check the product page of the books ), as it has a very good version of the spread pass that I think is better when angles are concerned.

Best description for the spread pass is found in Gary Ouellet's The Pass book.

All this assuming you'll learning the spread pass, Lepaul's book has another gems as well :)

The answer is yes. There is alot of invaluble information in there and it is illustrated w/over 300 photos. The chapter that deals with the DL (two versions) is worth the price alone for the book and I still use the first version today. Paul Lepaul's book was a main staple in my early studies of Card SOH. I still open that book often. "Gymnastic Aces" is a favorite trick of mine that incorporates a multiple shift and a faro. It's still a slayer.
Dom Kabala.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results