The Second Deal

Nov 11, 2007
Memphis, Tennessee
Having finished the first hundred pages or so of the Erdnase bible, I have a question on the Seond Deal. I don't think that this is exposure because I'm only revealing my deduced way of second dealing. Erdnase teaches it one way, which I'm sure works great, but I'm just wondering if anyone else does it "my" way; you pivot the top card over using the bottom left corner (the corner against the base of your thumb) as a pivot point. Then you come over with your right hand and pull the first card that is still square with the deck (the second actual card) while pulling the pivoted card back square.

I haven't practiced my way much, but I was wondering whether to trust myself and continue with my way, or to go with the pro, as it were, on this one. Does anyone do it "my" way? Thanks for the input.

Having finished the first hundred pages or so of the Erdnase bible, I have a question on the Seond Deal. I don't think that this is exposure because I'm only revealing my deduced way of second dealing. Erdnase teaches it one way, which I'm sure works great, but I'm just wondering if anyone else does it "my" way; you pivot the top card over using the bottom left corner (the corner against the base of your thumb) as a pivot point. Then you come over with your right hand and pull the first card that is still square with the deck (the second actual card) while pulling the pivoted card back square.

I haven't practiced my way much, but I was wondering whether to trust myself and continue with my way, or to go with the pro, as it were, on this one. Does anyone do it "my" way? Thanks for the input.

The way that you are describing as "your way" is known as the Strike Second Deal. I think that it is much easier but not as good as the Push-Off Second Deal. I personally use the Push-Off Second Deal because I could already do a perfect double Push-Off when I learned it and that is 90% of the move.

Nov 11, 2007
Memphis, Tennessee
Agreed about the push-off. I guess my next question is how to do a "perfect", or even a decent, double push-off. My guess is it works with more used cards, I just opened a pack, but can you give any other suggestions? Thanks.

Sep 1, 2007
Littleton
double push

The way that you are describing as "your way" is known as the Strike Second Deal. I think that it is much easier but not as good as the Push-Off Second Deal. I personally use the Push-Off Second Deal because I could already do a perfect double Push-Off when I learned it and that is 90% of the move.

yeah, how do you push off two cards as one?

Nov 11, 2007
Memphis, Tennessee
the double push off requires gentleness and strictness on the magician's/gambler's part. the cards play a minor roll in the hands of a skilled card handler

Thank you for that terribly mysterious, yet completely innocuous post. Does anyone who actually knows how to do the move care to offer some advice? Thank you in advance (in a non-sarcastic way).

Nov 29, 2007
Coquitlam, B.C., Canada
Thank you for that terribly mysterious, yet completely innocuous post. Does anyone who actually knows how to do the move care to offer some advice? Thank you in advance (in a non-sarcastic way).

Just push off with you'r thumb, catch the top corner with your other hand and spin the second card onto the table, while bringing the top card back onto the deck, with enough PRACTICE it will come to you, and it won't be noticable...
If your looking for a better explanation, then refer to the book, it will probably say something more than what anybody else can

Aug 31, 2007
California

Some wise advice that most will tell you,

Practice. Just keep doing it. Read it over and over it erdnase til you are sick of it. Practice will get you there. If you have questions on if you are doing it right or if you need some advice, id be happy to help, for I have been working with many different doubles for a few years now.

Keenan

Nov 29, 2007
Coquitlam, B.C., Canada
Some wise advice that most will tell you,

Practice. Just keep doing it. Read it over and over it erdnase til you are sick of it. Practice will get you there. If you have questions on if you are doing it right or if you need some advice, id be happy to help, for I have been working with many different doubles for a few years now.

Keenan

Keenan's right.
No matter how many times someone tells you how to do the move, or how many different versions you try, practice is required to learn, let alone MASTER the sleight. Practice is key in the world of magic.

having the left bottom corner of the card secure below the base of the left thumb will allow you to pivot it clockwise and counterclockwise and align it back with the top of the deck with much more certainty. this is explained nicely in The Expert Card Technique.

a strike second is PROBABLY easier to learn and execute and once you get the RHYTHM right its very deceptive for a lay audience. i think the most important thing is dealing continuous seconds is getting the RHYTHM right.

a good push off double is harder to make deceptive. ( this is JUST my feeling )

i really can't give you a technical reason for why i find push off harder to make deceptive.. its just that i have found it difficult in practice to get a deceptive push off second. also i have found a larger number of strike second practitioners compared to push off second practitioners. though this is a silly reason to favour certain sleights.

does anybody know what Mr. Steve Forte uses ??? Strike or Push Off ???? I am so much in awe of him that I would practice whatever he practices.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results