The Worst Exposers of All Time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 17, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Although Penn and Teller Might expose often, i heard there is another who is now in hiding. I don't know if the story is true or not but the man who also exposed magic on national telivision i believe goes by the name of "Valentino"

What does the Masked Magician have to do with a point Steerpike was trying to make?

Sep 1, 2007
Heh, of course it does. People love to voice their opinion to appear intelligent without ever doing any research to begin with. Even if it means only having to read 1 and a half pages into a thread post.

It's ironic that they're all making my point better than me, albeit unintentionally.

How was iron man?

I'm currently trying to find my face, because that movie rocked it right the **** off.

Nov 23, 2007
NC
Steerpike
it should say something that I actually got more responses from a fake inflammatory witchhunt that I put together in two minutes than any well-written article here has gotten.
This is distressing to see this happening. The fact that a serious, educational, instructive, and performance enhancing thread gets pushed aside so easily and a joke thread gets 800 veiws and over 5 pages. Since I'm referring to your threads I’d like to hear your take or explanation of this.

Sep 1, 2007
Since I'm referring to your threads I’d like to hear your take or explanation of this.

Honestly, I think people here care more about drama than they do about actually advancing their magic.

The joke here is that I used their own words against them, but this time to attack a sacred cow. The fact that they attacked me for using their own arguments shows that they're not actually thinking about them, but the cognitive dissonance hasn't set in yet.

You also notice a lot of people who didn't read past the first post because they're still attacking me. They don't think, they go with the first knee-jerk reaction that comes to them and assume that their scathing wit is going to be the highlight of the thread.

You'll notice than in 5 pages of posts, it's almost entirely people attacking me and myself and those who got the joke asing, "What the hell is wrong with you people?!" The former aren't thinking at all. And this sort of hot button reactionary gossip is all they seem to care about.

As great as some people like to think these boards are, there's a lot of dead weight we need to shake.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 23, 2007
NC
Disheartening….but it is a General Discussion board in which many subjects can and should be talked about. I'm just surprised that the latest “Who’s the better Magician” poll gets more attention than a thread that potentially helps further ones performance knowledge.

Sep 1, 2007
I'm just surprised that the latest “Who’s the better Magician” poll gets more attention than a thread that potentially helps further ones performance knowledge.

Well, the appeal to the poll is twofold. Either it doesn't require much thinking and you can toss your opinion around as if anybody cares, or it gives you the opportunity to browbeat the people who actually participate in the poll with your percieved intellectual superiority over them.

I admit, I'm an egomaniacal, insensitive, crass, borderline misanthrope. But Jesus hairy Christ, this is just too much.

I have to be perfectly honest, I did not expect the reaction to be this huge. Nor did I expect this many people to so spectacularly miss the point.

Dec 14, 2007
Well, this got to a second page, so it's time to explain the obvious. Ahem...

Sar-ca-sm!

It's not that people thought I was being serious. It's who thought I was being serious that disappoints me. I did this to make a point. None of you were listening to me when I was being direct, and it should say something that I actually got more responses from a fake inflammatory witchhunt that I put together in two minutes than any well-written article here has gotten.

Once again, Steer, you prove that you have very little experience outside of your own little fish bowl.

The fact is, time and time again, someone posts this exact same example on some message board completely FREE of sarcasm. If you wallow in the mud with pigs, you should expect to be treated as one.

But you post still makes no sense. How does correcting the misinformed opinion you stated that P&T are exposers contribute any meaningful information to the question as to whether or not E is engaging in exposure?

It adds nothing. They are two completely different situations - whether the statement is made with sarcasm or not - and fails to address the issue at all. There were several posts regarding the definition of exposure and its relation to the E tutorials. So to rationalize the need for this post, or to claim you were using someone's words against them is sheer folly.

It is clear you hold E in high regard and will defend them regardless of the logic or the merit of your arguments. That passion is to be commended. But this blind passion has led a lot of otherwise bright people to do some very stupid things. May I suggest you open both eyes wide, think with your mind as well as your heart, and look at these issues with objectivity instead of knee jerk defensiveness.

Brad Henderson

Dec 4, 2007
www.thrallmind.com
But you post still makes no sense. How does correcting the misinformed opinion you stated that P&T are exposers contribute any meaningful information to the question as to whether or not E is engaging in exposure?

Brad Henderson

It relates perfectly. The same people who say E is exposing effects are defending P&T saying that their act isn't exposing.

-ThrallMind

Sep 1, 2007
The fact is, time and time again, someone posts this exact same example on some message board completely FREE of sarcasm. If you wallow in the mud with pigs, you should expect to be treated as one.

Which shows just how little you think of my intelligence that you would see me contradicting my very transparent values system and still think for even a nanosecond that I was being serious.

It is clear you hold E in high regard and will defend them regardless of the logic or the merit of your arguments. That passion is to be commended. But this blind passion has led a lot of otherwise bright people to do some very stupid things. May I suggest you open both eyes wide, think with your mind as well as your heart, and look at these issues with objectivity instead of knee jerk defensiveness.

You think this is just about E? No, I'm talking about the issue of how everyone wants a witchhunt, but no one wants a real solution. This fury over exposure is nothing more than a snipe hunt, but nobody wants to admit it. They'd rather blame all their failings on an enemy they made up than take a little responsibility. But the instant someone takes the witchhunt toward a target they've already put on a pedestal, they'll gleefully point out how wrong the rhetoric is while ignoring their own actions.

I'm not saying this to defend Ellusionist, I'm saying this because I'm just plain pissed off that this bogus wild goose chase is more important to the magic community than actually advancing the art.

Dec 14, 2007
You think this is just about E? No, I'm talking about the issue of how everyone wants a witchhunt, but no one wants a real solution. This fury over exposure is nothing more than a snipe hunt, but nobody wants to admit it. They'd rather blame all their failings on an enemy they made up than take a little responsibility. But the instant someone takes the witchhunt toward a target they've already put on a pedestal, they'll gleefully point out how wrong the rhetoric is while ignoring their own actions.

I'm not saying this to defend Ellusionist, I'm saying this because I'm just plain pissed off that this bogus wild goose chase is more important to the magic community than actually advancing the art.

You are over reaching. There is no witch hunt if there is no exposure. We can argue if what E is doing constitutes an exposure or not. You accuse people of being quick to judge E, but you are equally as quick to assume that any criticism of E is unfounded.

B

Sep 1, 2007
You are over reaching. There is no witch hunt if there is no exposure. We can argue if what E is doing constitutes an exposure or not. You accuse people of being quick to judge E, but you are equally as quick to assume that any criticism of E is unfounded.

B

And you're too quick to judge me as a blind fanboy.

How many times do I have to tell you that this isn't just about Ellusionist before you actually listen to me instead of judging me?

What exactly do you want me to say?

Sep 1, 2007
And you're too quick to judge me as a blind fanboy.

How many times do I have to tell you that this isn't just about Ellusionist before you actually listen to me instead of judging me?

What exactly do you want me to say?

So then what is it about?

I got your "joke." Very funny. I have not guffawed that much since Criss Angel did magic for chimpanzees. So what is this all about? What are you trying to accomplish?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results