Theories 1-10

Thanks a lot both of you, just gives me a tingly feeling when I read it itching to create or perform some magic. And regards to Dana's comments I agree that the way this forum is going we will accomplish something amazing. I've never seen so much support so such motivated and experienced magicians in all my time forum jumping.

-RA69

Sep 3, 2007
Kentucky - Temporarily
On a slightly related note regarding what was posted as being the 10 basic theories of magic: Dariel Fitzkee has described the 20 basic Effects of magic in his wonderful book entitled "The Trick Brain" (1944).

Briefly, I will list them here:

1. Production- The appearance of an object or group of objects in which the location of the initial appearance is unknown. Sub: (appearance, creation, multiplication)

2. Vanish- The opposite of a production, in which an object or group of objects is taken out of appearance and replaced into an unknown location. Sub: (dissapearance, Obliteration)

3. Transposition- The act of causing an object or group of objects to change in location by forces unseen.

4. Transformation- The phenomenon in which a person, place, or thing changes in it's appearance, composition, or character. Sub: ( change in appearance, character or identity)

5. Penetration- The act of causing one solid object to pass through another solid object.

6. Restoration- Making that which is destroyed, whole once more.

7. Animation- Causing movement to be imparted to the inanimate.

8. Anit-Gravity- Described as a levitation and/or Change in weight*

9. Attraction- The mysterious adhesion of two or more otherwise unadherable objects.

10. Sympathetic Reaction- The causing of a sympathetic response in an otherwise inanimate object. Sub: (the giving of life; character)

11. Invulnerability- Causing a person or object to be incapable of being harmed.

12. Physical Anomoly- The presentation of contradictions in the body, abnormalities, "freaks".

13. Spectator Failure- Magicians Challenge**

14. Control- The ability to influence to phyical state or actions of an object/person. Sub: (Mind over matter)***

15. Identification- The revelation of information that, despite fair conditions, has somehow become available. (specific discovery)

16. Thought Reading- Extra Sensory Perception. The perception of a though-of concept, or piece of information that would be otherwise unavailable to the performer.

17. Throught Transmission- The sending of a thought to another person. Sub: (Thought projection and Transference)

18. Prediction- The foretelling of the future

19. ESP- Unusual perceptions, other than the mind.

20. Skill- Self-explanatory

* = I don't think that many people have explored/viewed an anit-gravity display in this way, with the exception of the light/heavy box. Hopefully this willl spark some new ideas (perhaps?).

**= This could easily be confused with a plot rather than an effect... I assure you, however, that when viewed both ways there are radical differences.

At any rate, I hope this helps to clear some of the confusion out there regarding all of this 10 basic theories stuff.

I, personally, like the Title Theory11 if nothing else than for it's silent ambiguity.

KNOW WIll DARE Keep SILENT

Peace,

-Chris

Well, if it isn't my good friend Christopher Rose. : )

This guy is pretty much amazing. Check him out in the latest issue of MAGIC magazine.

|| sean ||

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results