theory11 should have a Buying/Selling Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I realize that Theory11 is a business and trying to get money itself, but I believe that the forums need a Buyers/Sellers Thread so that we can trade, buy, and sell magic. I am really more interested in buying cards, because as well all know Theory11 makes some really really good cards, and they sell out like hotcakes, and we all know everyone loves hot cake :p Just my two cents (makes two cents vanish!)

P.S. If anyone has any JAQK decks they are willing to sell for a reasonable price, send me a PM, thanks.

Feb 12, 2011
At my Computer
I think it would be a good idea also, because there are so many more people on theory11 than the Dan and Dave forum and the Dan and Dave does really good so if Theory11 did one im sure it would be a big sucess!

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I don't disagree with you guys however I am not so sure JB or theory11 would want to have the responsibility of dealing with any transactions that went wrong or complaints. Maybe he will chime in here and let us know his thoughts or reasons why theory11 does not have this.

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
Yep it would be good. Just no DVD's since people might sell pirated copies.
I am not so sure JB or Theory 11 would want to have the responsibility of dealing with any transactions that went wrong or complaints.
Wouldn't be hard to have a short disclaimer, I don't see why the T11 team would have anything to do with it other than giving people the opportunity to advertise. Most people just post ebay listings anyway so the buyer is 100% covered.
There are still plenty of magic shops that are selling JAQK decks at normal price Bending he Real, you just need to do a bit of searching.

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
I definitely see the value of having an easy portal for discussion of that sort. The hesitation we've had in doing something of that sort thus far is exactly as Rick mentioned: what happens when things go wrong.

Even with member-created contests, we have seen issues where someone goes to great lengths to win it, but then doesn't hear back about their prize from the other member - and then the other member vanishes. 9 times out of 10, that winner then contacts us asking for help, and since we had nothing to do with it, our hands are totally tied. Of course, we always try our best to help, but often times there is little we (as a third party) can do.

@BendingTheReal - On the bright side, check your email. Welcome to the forums! Enjoy. ;)

I definitely see the value of having an easy portal for discussion of that sort. The hesitation we've had in doing something of that sort thus far is exactly as Rick mentioned: what happens when things go wrong.

Even with member-created contests, we have seen issues where someone goes to great lengths to win it, but then doesn't hear back about their prize from the other member - and then the other member vanishes. 9 times out of 10, that winner then contacts us asking for help, and since we had nothing to do with it, our hands are totally tied. Of course, we always try our best to help, but often times there is little we (as a third party) can do.

@BendingTheReal - On the bright side, check your email. Welcome to the forums! Enjoy. ;)

This is what I was waiting for you to say. I won a member-run contest for some v. 4's and never heard back form them (though they still are a fairly regular poster here) As awesome an idea as it is, there is just too much of an issue from a business standpoint. An interesting idea would be if either T11 mentioned a good place to have those types of discussion or possibly in the future create like a magic ebay

Feb 17, 2011
Quebec, Canada
Well, for that sort of thing, ebay have a "way" to "screen" some of the good and bad seller. People vote when they purchase something from a seller and they get to have a rating to them. You can check if the rating is high (good seller, probably that keep promise and deliver the quality that he advertise) then it's much more secure to buy from them than a low rating seller. Just my two cents.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
You are correct Gold, however, I don't think anyone on theory11's staff would want to sit and go through all of the transactions, complaints, ratings, etc. They don't have the time to do that and keep up with "our" demands of releasing new effects, decks, and such.

I understand that the voting / rating / feedback system would rest on the shoulders of the seller and on the buyer as well. Ebay has to fight battles all of the time about bad transactions and negative feedback that then in turn hurts the seller. I just don't think it is something conducive to the community and would require additional support efforts from the team.

Don't get me wrong...I'm sure we all have TONS of crap we would like to unload, swap, sell, buy, trade, but to make it full proof and work efficiently and effectively would take a lot of moderation and work. I would hate to have the complaints then filter onto the boards where bashing would then take place.

If Theory11 does decide to do this, perhaps it could be a TRIAL basis to see how transactions would go and then if "crap hits the fan" so to speak and things get ugly..well..then that feature / page gets deleted from the community.

This is just my opinion fellas, feel free to disagree with me and my feelings will not be hurt. Everyone may speak their piece. The floor is open.

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love you J.B!!!!!!!!!!!!! Theory11 is the best!!!!!! You just totally made my day, heck my month! I can not thank you enough! I plan on doing a lot more business with you guys in the near and also distant future. Especially those Sentinel Premium Canvas' of the King and Ace. I plan on ordering those within the next couple of weeks, thanks again J.B. YOU ROCK!

Sep 20, 2008
Hi Rick,

My counter argument is- If Dan and Dave can do it, why couldnt Theory 11? In theory, (ha. Pun) Theory 11 is a larger company than Dan and Dave.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Your point is valid. I guess it would boil down to JB and Theory11 just weighing out the pros and cons and making a decision. From their stand point they receive nothing from having that buyer / seller page except for maybe drawing a few more members to the boards / site.

Sep 20, 2008
That's very true also. However- and i dont mean to instigate some sort of movement through this, but i was kind of under the impression that T11 puts the community upfront before everything else? hence providing Excellent quality videos and materials for low prices in the form of 1 on 1's, Cerca Trova Discussions and Some competitions every now and then.

Personally i dont participate in those- as i dont have the time, however it shows that you have a dedicated community already, Wouldnt this be a part of improving customer relations?

-Also, Having moderators and JB himself tackle this personally is a definite plus in terms of customer/community relations :)

-Sin

Feb 17, 2011
Quebec, Canada
Well, Rick, I see your point. I dont really know how it's work since I never bough from ebay. And, I'm not a webdesigner or anything related to website. So, maybe the "voting" system is hard to implement but I didn't mean that Theory 11 should manage the "bad seller" thing as if they say something like: on this page, we, the Theory 11 team, are not in any way involve on selling part and we do not garantee the stuff that are selling through this site , or something like that. They would only put the page (or website) and let the community do the rest. Heck, if somebody in the community (or maybe a group of people) want to manage this page, it's a win-win situation. On the other hand, if Theory 11 want to put this kind of page, manage it and make some profit in the process, then they can have a % of each transaction like ebay do.

Again, sorry for my english.

yoman125

Elite Member
Dec 20, 2010
Jakarta+Singapore
If T11 would like to create a Buy & Sell section. I got a suggestion, wonder if this is good. T11 create a special verification team of seller. The seller pay small amount of fee to T11(quality check and etc..). The seller send their product to T11. The seller advertise their item. T11 release the item to Buyer after Buyer pay shipping fee and pay for the product.

If T11 would like to create a Buy & Sell section. I got a suggestion, wonder if this is good. T11 create a special verification team of seller. The seller pay small amount of fee to T11(quality check and etc..). The seller send their product to T11. The seller advertise their item. T11 release the item to Buyer after Buyer pay shipping fee and pay for the product.

That is way too much work though, and would cost theory11 more money because of shipping costs, and may even slow down their work, depending on how popular that gets. I say do like all the other forums, and have a rating system for buyers/sellers, and a place where people can write reviews for their payment times, and also shipping, and how accurate and the condition the item as in, eg; was it advertised as they say, and just put up a warning saying that Theory11 is not responsible for any transactions that take part on this specific thread, and to take precautions when ordering from other people, etc. so that way, no one can say they weren't warned. Also, if you want to eliminate selling DVDs only, just have a books/cards/miscellaneous section (eg; card clips could go under miscellaneous, and maybe gaffed coins, etc.)

Dec 20, 2009
Massachusetts
I'm just saying, I've used the buying on the forums system before, and I think it works great. It all boils down to the fact that we have to trust each other. And its pretty obvious who's going to cheat someone and who's not. In competitions on the forum the other hand, that might be a different matter.

In fact I've bought stuff from people directly on youtube.

I support the cause.

(^^cliche ending^^)

Sep 1, 2007
T11 is a business - why would they want to compete with users in their own community buying used versions of their products? It just doesn't make any sense in terms of profitability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results