This is how the haunted deck should look!

Pete Pridanonda

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2009
Look up Haunted by Peter Eggink
Yes, I've seen that effect before and know how it works. However, the method of the version that you saw me performed on the video is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from Peter Eggink's haunted.
And I will repeat this again: The version that you saw me performed on the video uses NO THREADS, NO MAGNETS, NO ELASTICS, and NO STICKY STUFF.

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
Yes, I've seen that effect before and know how it works. However, the method of the version that you saw me performed on the video is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from Peter Eggink's haunted.
And I will repeat this again: The version that you saw me performed on the video uses NO THREADS, NO MAGNETS, NO ELASTICS, and NO STICKY STUFF.

I think that by announcing, 'no strings, no elastics, etc.'
You're daring people to look for SOMETHING.
At that point, you're not showing a magic trick, you're presenting a puzzle.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
The version that you saw me performed on the video uses NO THREADS, NO MAGNETS, NO ELASTICS, and NO STICKY STUFF.

Why should your audience care about that? The won't ever see the threads, the magnets, elastics, sticky stuff, etc. Although I recognize advantages to certain methods (easier to set up and transition into from other effects), what matters most is what the spectators see.

I like the standard versions better where the deck splits and the card is separated from the deck. In your version a bunch of cards fall off the top of the deck and you pick up the selected card.

What I like about your version is that the spectator seems to do the magic, although you need to sell that better -- the spectator didn't even come close to believing that.

From the spectator's viewpoint, what makes this magical? Answer that question and you will have an effect which is how the haunted deck should FEEL.

Pete Pridanonda

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2009
Why should your audience care about that? The won't ever see the threads, the magnets, elastics, sticky stuff, etc. Although I recognize advantages to certain methods (easier to set up and transition into from other effects), what matters most is what the spectators see.

I like the standard versions better where the deck splits and the card is separated from the deck. In your version a bunch of cards fall off the top of the deck and you pick up the selected card.

What I like about your version is that the spectator seems to do the magic, although you need to sell that better -- the spectator didn't even come close to believing that.

From the spectator's viewpoint, what makes this magical? Answer that question and you will have an effect which is how the haunted deck should FEEL.

Thank you for your response, I guess my statement about threads is directed more towards magicians. But like you said, it is completely unnecessary. I should concentrate more on making an effect looks magical to the audience. I just couldn't help it when I see a magician post a comment saying they know how it's done even though their assumption is far from the actual method. However, I will try not to care about these comments and will rethink my descriptions.
Now, I am in the process of coming up with alternate presentations to make this effect more memorable and magical.

Pete Pridanonda

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2009
Eugene Burger has a really nice version of the Haunted deck, but then it just looks better with his performing style.
Hi Randy, I assume that the version you are talking about is what he taught on the penguin lecture. If so, I don't really like versions where you have to place the cards on your hand or making contact in some way or another.

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
petecardmagic21 said:
I just couldn't help it when I see a magician post a comment saying they know how it's done even though their assumption is far from the actual method.

That's the problem. If a spectator thinks you used, in this case, elastic to make a trick happen. Then that's the reality of it to them; you used elastic to get the trick to work--whether they are correct or not.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
I don't understand why you let the guy examine the case? I know in your mind you THINK that if they examine everything that they will no longer think you use gimmicks. But in reality, it just tells the spectator "I didn't find anything wrong with the box, so there is obviously something going on with the cards." Which is another reason that Eugene Burger's or the other routines are usually better.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Deck box is gimmicked with elastic. I've seen this trick someplace else.

It's incredibly rude to just throw out methods like that. If you would have got it right then that would have been blatant exposure. I'm not sure how you thought it was okay to say this.

Pete Pridanonda

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2009
I don't understand why you let the guy examine the case? I know in your mind you THINK that if they examine everything that they will no longer think you use gimmicks. But in reality, it just tells the spectator "I didn't find anything wrong with the box, so there is obviously something going on with the cards." Which is another reason that Eugene Burger's or the other routines are usually better.
You're right. Next time I would just tell my spectator to put the 'assistant' in the box; this way in their mind they'll think that the case is normal without me having to put much attention to it.
I like Eugene Burger's presentation of the haunted deck. However, I still don't like the look of the cards being in your hand as it moves. With that said, the best version in terms of handling is still the classic version using loops since the cards can be borrowed and the deck is not in contact with your body.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
The best version will always be the one that makes the spectator create the story in their mind.

Nothing we can show someone will ever be as great as what they can convince themselves they saw.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results