Thoughts : Making Gaff Cards

Aug 10, 2008
Honduras
I'm currently working on ideas on how to make gaff cards. d+M Burn e-book offers a good way to achieve this purpose. What other ways of making gaff cards do you know?

Oct 28, 2007
i was thinking of creating my own gaffs in photoshop and then printing it on some blank bicycles. havent tried it yet and i don't even know if it works.

May 7, 2008
MoNTReaL 514 *****!
i was thinking of creating my own gaffs in photoshop and then printing it on some blank bicycles. havent tried it yet and i don't even know if it works.

i tried a couple of time and i found out it was a wast of time and cards..
doesn't work with all type of inks i think so yeah good luck

Jan 5, 2008
Oklahoma
sank me

Jay Sankey has some pretty clever ideas in "Revolutionary Card Magic" the dvd. It isn't exactly cheap, but you will use a lot of the material. I use 3 of his gaffs off that dvd in one deck and it works and transitions phenomenally. Very good reactions!

Zack

EJ

Mar 4, 2008
Canada
You could erase the pips or values on the cards. Erasing them is a long and tiring process, but it does work.

May 4, 2008
NYC
I just LOVE the burn gaffs by d+M
There's so many possibilities! You can be as creative as you want.
Its one of my favorite d+M e-books.
I also have the ultragaff deck and red gaff deck.
You can probably use Stained Skin by Ray Singson to create some double cards (two cards on one face).

Oct 28, 2007
i tried a couple of time and i found out it was a wast of time and cards..
doesn't work with all type of inks i think so yeah good luck

what about a laser jet because i kind of figured that ink jet would not work.

or one of those big fancey printers that print on like waxed paper and stuff, because i have one at my school but i don't think they will let me use it.

Oct 13, 2008
the problem with with printing your own gaff is getting the surface smooth again. what i mean is you have to spray the card for 1) to keep the ink from smearing and 2) to get the luster back. but the problem i have had is two printed cards that are face to face act like a rough and smooth. been trying to find ways to get them not to stick with no luck so far. i read somewhere a long time ago that spray starch worked but that just removed my protective coating. i have also heard a car wax works. havent tried that yet

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I will second the Art of Card Spitting however I found that making gaffs is a long frustrating process as every step needs to be carried out without much room for error. It didn't take long for me to figure out it was easier just to search ebay or other magic shops for entire decks of gaff cards, double facers, double backers, etc.

Now if there is something specific you want for a trick then by all means...take your time and do it yourself using whatever method you wish.

The Art of Card Splitting does give a few tricks on it as well to do with certain gaffs.

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
I wouldn't recommend trying to print onto cards, it doesn't work at all well from my experience. I haven't had much success with erasing pips either but have spent less time on that. You can try if you want, though, and if it works, kudos to you. I just wouldn't suggest it.

Nov 5, 2007
try looking on google for printable cards. You can print on them with an inkjet printer and then there is a spray to seal them so the ink stays

Feb 22, 2008
I second the vote for "Gaff Factory". Its available on Lybrary.com for like $20. It will cost about another $30-50 to get the process going but then you should be set forever and will only have to buy the cards. As far as replacing the finish on the cards.......you know those stupid white and clear crayons you used to get when you were little to write on Easter Eggs and never used again? Ive found that those crayons work pretty well on a small scale for restoring the finish. If you "color" the area that needs a finish and then rub it smooth with a soft cloth (like you would clean your glasses with) it works pretty well. I havent tried it on a large scale but it works great for small stuff. Anyway.....check out "Gaff Factory". Its well worth the money.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results