Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not a fan.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

DominusDolorum

Elite Member
Jul 15, 2013
Canada
WOW did we just travel back in time or what? Yeah, it's an old trick but I wanted to hear your guys thoughts on this.

I think it's a pretty good trick from a layperson's perspective. It's incredibly visual and has gotten me great reactions. The problem is justifying what this plastic sleeve is and why do you have it? "Well duh, it's to make the trick work," but you can't say that to your audience (though one time I did, but they were a few beers in so I was responded with drunk laughter). I typically say something along the lines of "I'm going to isolate the card in this sleeve so I can't do anything tricky with it" and almost never get questioned. If I did I would make up some line that it was for keeping trading cards in mint condition.

The biggest problem, of course, is when they ask to inspect the sleeve after. If you don't have a duplicate that's not gimmicked you're pretty much caught. I simply tell them "No." It's my toy; not theirs.

The price for this trick is pretty steep. $40 and you only get one sleeve. You have to buy the non-gimmicked one for an additional $12 which kinda sucks.

So what do you think of WOW? Good trick, or are you not a fan because it doesn't make sense to use what is essentially a push-button prop?
I'm curious to know what your thoughts are, and if you have come up with any routines of your own with it. I have one where the card that was in the sleeve appears reversed back in the deck after their card is revealed. I do it to close the circle. One card disappeared, where did it go?

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
The reason I never bought it is....
The problem is justifying what this plastic sleeve is and why do you have it? "Well duh, it's to make the trick work," but you can't say that to your audience.

that exactly. And the fact that the guy demonstrating it for me at a magic shop was selling a knock-off version (there is a reason that shop is no longer around).

Reactions: DominusDolorum
You have to incorporate the sleeve in your routine.

It can't be a 'sleeve'. Present it as something else. I'm thinking along the lines of a microwave, since the sleeve looks like you're looking through a microwave door

That's a super fun idea! If there was some sort of way to get an audible 'ping' just as the card finished changing you'd have one hilariously stupid but impressive piece of magic.

There was something on the market years ago called the Wowlett, which was basically a wallet that could hold a Wow gimmick in such a way that it looked like the ID window of the wallet. I've no idea if it's still available though.

Rev

Dean Magic

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2013
Florida
That's a super fun idea! If there was some sort of way to get an audible 'ping' just as the card finished changing you'd have one hilariously stupid but impressive piece of magic.

There was something on the market years ago called the Wowlett, which was basically a wallet that could hold a Wow gimmick in such a way that it looked like the ID window of the wallet. I've no idea if it's still available though.

Rev
The Wowlett is still available on Penguin Magic:
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3900
However, I don't think it's worth what they're asking. I don't actually own it but it seems rather pricey considering it doesn't even come with the actual WOW gimmick. That said, I think it is a great example of how the WOW gimmick could be incorporated into an everyday object. :D

Reactions: KyleB10 and Rev
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results