Thoughts, Theories, and Magic-Con

Sep 1, 2007
Hey guys!

It's Austin, If you guys didn't know my name, I've been in magic now for about six years, and I've been interested in the theory side of things.

Well long story short I started a blog, some of my thoughts, mainly things I get from other sources, and describe what they mean to me.

My most recent one, and actually the next few, will be what I learned from Magic-Con, seriously, I filled like 14 mins of a vlog and hardly touched the surface of what I learned at magic con.

Anyway, I'd love for you guys to check out my vlogs, here are a couple links.

Blog 1
(Most recent) Blog 2

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
I really loved your recent blog post. I really wanted to go to Magic-Con, but unfortunately I wasn't able to go. Keep up these blogs, I will most definitely be watching your future blogs. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

Casey

Sep 1, 2007
I really loved your recent blog post. I really wanted to go to Magic-Con, but unfortunately I wasn't able to go. Keep up these blogs, I will most definitely be watching your future blogs. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

Casey

Hey man thanks for taking the time to watch, I appreciate it, I really do.

I'm really hoping to spread what I learned from such an amazing weekend, and it should be shared with everyone (no not the methods, the theories)

Anyway thanks again!

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
As you were describing the story about Chad Long and Juan, my inner child smiled as you were describing the climax. That description alone has me floored, and I didn't even see it yet. Where can you learn the 3 Cards to Spec's Pocket? Is it in Mnemonica, Five Points, or Verbal Magic? Just curious as it sounds freaking mind blowing.

Sep 1, 2007
As you were describing the story about Chad Long and Juan, my inner child smiled as you were describing the climax. That description alone has me floored, and I didn't even see it yet. Where can you learn the 3 Cards to Spec's Pocket? Is it in Mnemonica, Five Points, or Verbal Magic? Just curious as it sounds freaking mind blowing.

It's nothing revolutionary actually, yet it is character specific, which I'll address in the other blog, it only really works for his performance, I really can't see it working for anyone elses.

Besides, why would you want to grab some other performers method, come up with one that fits your performance style :)

Be creative.

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
I just don't know how the trick works is what I'm addressing. I want to know where to find such a trick. I've never done any Spec's Card to Pocket before. Could you give me a reference as to where I could find one (specifically a trick that uses no palming).

Dec 14, 2007
It's nothing revolutionary actually, yet it is character specific, which I'll address in the other blog, it only really works for his performance, I really can't see it working for anyone elses.

Besides, why would you want to grab some other performers method, come up with one that fits your performance style :)

Be creative.

Ironically, the idea of this particular version is NOT Juan's. Juan is very clear about this in the lecture.

It is a great example of how a thoughtful performer took another magician's PUBLISHED trick and made it so personal that people couldn't imagine anyone else doing it.

(And if you needed proof that there is great reward to reading old books, this is it. The original routine was published in 1961. There have been numerous reprints of the book since.

For less than $40 you could have had that trick, the original idea behind Eric's Ace routine, one of the most deceptive impossible locations ever devised, an unreal stop trick, one of the best color changing deck routines ever printed, and a seemingly moveless color seperation,

What did you get for the last $40 you spent on magic?)

As Bill Kalush pointed out, there is great value in studying old books. Juan is living proof of that.

Sep 1, 2007
Ironically, the idea of this particular version is NOT Juan's. Juan is very clear about this in the lecture.

It is a great example of how a thoughtful performer took another magician's PUBLISHED trick and made it so personal that people couldn't imagine anyone else doing it.

(And if you needed proof that there is great reward to reading old books, this is it. The original routine was published in 1961. There have been numerous reprints of the book since.

For less than $40 you could have had that trick, the original idea behind Eric's Ace routine, one of the most deceptive impossible locations ever devised, an unreal stop trick, one of the best color changing deck routines ever printed, and a seemingly moveless color seperation,

What did you get for the last $40 you spent on magic?)

As Bill Kalush pointed out, there is great value in studying old books. Juan is living proof of that.

I think you misinterpreted my post, I said Juan does his very specific and it works very well for his character, but I never said it was Juans version, and it is character specific to Juan meaning the method and moves that went behind it are undetectable because of Juans character I never said the concept was his either.

Did you intentionally leave out the name of the book?

The last magic thing I got for $40 was Drawing Room Deceptions by Guy Hollingworth, a well spent $40 actually.

RHR

Mar 13, 2010
Magic-Con

Unfortunetely i had to leave sunday and missed Juan's lecture. What did he teach??

Dec 14, 2007
I understand you more clearly now, but I do not know if I completely agree - and that's a good thing.

First, I do not know if anyone should EVER decide to do a trick just like another performer. All tricks learned should go through a personalization process. (in my opinion.) As Weber said, you can consider your work original only when the actual creator ceases to recognize his item in your offering. SO, in an ideal world, any magician who would seek out that routine to perform would be doing this anyway. I know - I can dream.

Each of the moves used in the Tamariz variation have been used by hundreds of magicians successfully on a daily basis - including the techniques required for the finale. I have no doubt someone could perform the trick as taught both successfully and entertainingly being themselves.

Having said that, on the handful of occasions I have performed one of Tamariz's published tricks, I find it almost impossible not to let his personality, his timing, his approach slip in past my point of comfort. This is a testament to how well Juan fuses all of the elements together in a way they seem inseparable.

But a diligent performer could take a step back, force him or herself not to let the " metaphorical accent" creep in and perform the exact routine with the exact handling and it would/could be deceptive.

That may be the point on which we disagree.

However, I agree with the critical question you raise, which is 'why would you want to?'

To perform one of Tamariz's tricks WITHOUT personalizing every element of them to be part of a cohesive whole seems to miss one of the central messages of his work, and that of so many of the presenters at Magic-Con.

And that's why I left out the name of the book. Because many will read what you wrote and want to know - just to know. And that does no one any good. For them, it's a distraction from real work that could improve their own magic but "learning the secrets" ensures that if they ever get to see him perform, the impact will be lessened. That would be sad for them.

BUT, for those magicians who are serious about using the routine as a springboard for their own originality and character and presentation - those people are diligent enough to do the work to find the title themselves!

Sep 1, 2007
I understand you more clearly now, but I do not know if I completely agree - and that's a good thing.

First, I do not know if anyone should EVER decide to do a trick just like another performer. All tricks learned should go through a personalization process. (in my opinion.) As Weber said, you can consider your work original only when the actual creator ceases to recognize his item in your offering. SO, in an ideal world, any magician who would seek out that routine to perform would be doing this anyway. I know - I can dream.

Each of the moves used in the Tamariz variation have been used by hundreds of magicians successfully on a daily basis - including the techniques required for the finale. I have no doubt someone could perform the trick as taught both successfully and entertainingly being themselves.

Having said that, on the handful of occasions I have performed one of Tamariz's published tricks, I find it almost impossible not to let his personality, his timing, his approach slip in past my point of comfort. This is a testament to how well Juan fuses all of the elements together in a way they seem inseparable.

But a diligent performer could take a step back, force him or herself not to let the " metaphorical accent" creep in and perform the exact routine with the exact handling and it would/could be deceptive.

That may be the point on which we disagree.

However, I agree with the critical question you raise, which is 'why would you want to?'

To perform one of Tamariz's tricks WITHOUT personalizing every element of them to be part of a cohesive whole seems to miss one of the central messages of his work, and that of so many of the presenters at Magic-Con.

And that's why I left out the name of the book. Because many will read what you wrote and want to know - just to know. And that does no one any good. For them, it's a distraction from real work that could improve their own magic but "learning the secrets" ensures that if they ever get to see him perform, the impact will be lessened. That would be sad for them.

BUT, for those magicians who are serious about using the routine as a springboard for their own originality and character and presentation - those people are diligent enough to do the work to find the title themselves!

Ah! Glad we are almost on the same page, but we do agree on the points you bring up! Maybe I didn't articulate what I meant very well, but we do agree there. And I have been looking..thanks to Mr. Kalush and Ask Alexander haha!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results