Thumb Tip

C

clarrus

I have one and I was wondering what you guys felt about the Thumb Tip. I've never used it yet but i'm wondering if I should. I know it's not cards or coins but it's still magic so what do you guys say about the Thumb?

Sep 1, 2007
Venezuela
its a very nice gimmick I use it a lot.. it has many utilities.,, get gary darwin encyclopedia of thumbtips.. and you'll get a bunch of sleights and techniques..

Nov 22, 2007
I do believe that there is a spongeball routine using a thumptip which involves making spongeballs invisibly fly into the spectator's sleeve.

TT's are great. It's overexposed though. It's a wonderful utility for close-up and stage magic. Usually I'm in a street setting because I'm at school and I don't want to be the moron who brings a silk to school and makes it vanish so I don't use the TT as often as I used to.

Nov 8, 2007
The TT is great. Yes, it's overexposed, but if you use it in a non-conventional way it can still slay people. I use it for a bill switch (Visi-bill by Richard Sanders) and a signed torn and restored sugar packet (Sweet and Lower by Richard Osterlind). Use it right and it an still rock an audience.

Nov 25, 2007
Cyprus
clarrus,
with all due respect, I can't believe you asked that question!

I think that the TT is the most versatile accessory we magicians have access to.
Get hold of "Darwin's 101 Thumb Tip Tricks". In it are effects from the likes of:

Penn & Teller
Lance Burton
Geno Munari
Blackstone
Michael Skinner
Dai Vernon
Al Baker

and many more.

Please allow me to bore you some more with the following story:

Let me tell you a true story about a Thumb Tip. I know that its true, because I made it up myself. A few years ago, I booked a club date about 100 miles outside Las Vegas. Upon reaching my destination and opening my tunk to get my bag of magic tricks, I noticed it was not there! I realised that I had left them at home. I was so shocked I almost had a laundry accident!

I thought to myself, what should I do? I had to do a half-hour show in just a few minutes, so I certainly didn't have enough time to return to Las Vegas and pick up my equipment. I then said to myself, "Self, why worry? I have a TT on me!" So I borrowed a few things from the bartender, such as a napkin, matches, cigarettes, a glass of beer, etc. I then proceeded to do my show with those articles and nothing else but a TT.

When the show was over, I received a standing ovation, which isn't easy with an audience full of midgets! The owner of the club came backstage to pay me and said it was the greatest show he had ever seen! So I thanked him and gave his seeing eye dog a biscuit.

As I drove back to Las Vegas on that long lonely road, I suddenly realized "With this little gimmick I can rule the World" And that is the story....except for the midgets!

Gary Darwin (King of the TT)

So clarrus, I hope that answers your question, and I didn't bore you too much. It is only exposed by those who don't use it right, so practice well and good luck.

Christo

C

clarrus

Hey thanx for sharing the experience. I didn't know the TT could be that useful. I guess i was biased from the beginning I saw thumb tips. I'll have to try it out more and see what king of reactions i get.

Sep 17, 2007
There are soooo many more uses for a TT than just vanishing a silk.

A word of caution however, learn how to wear a TT and get comfortable with it. A TT will never actually look like a thumb, it will always be a little too big and the color will never match your thumb exactly. With that being said, it can still be very deceptive if you know how to use it.

I can't tell you how many young magician's I've seen who dismiss a TT because they can't just open their hand and have it look natural. They want it to look perfect. It never will.

One hot tip (pardon the pun): When showing your hand empty, keep the tips of your fingers and thumb pointed toward the spectators. Do not open your hand flat.

I love Richard Sander's Visi-Bill and the classic Kozlowski $100 bill switch and use them all the time. They are some serious weapons to have in your arsenal.

Nov 25, 2007
Cyprus
claruss,
I don't know if you smoke or not, if not, find a mate that rolls his own, and try this, I get terrific reactions with this, I won't say "I thought of it", but I was inspired by a similar effect.

Have a roll up palmed in your left hand, (preferably with a filter tip in it).
Make a fist and adjust the hole in your fist with your thumb leaving the TT behind.
Take a cigarette paper, crumple it up and put it into your fist (TT).
Take a pinch of baccy and place this in your fist (TT).
Take a filter tip and drop this into your fist.
Tuck it all in using all your fingers one at a time, and steal the TT with your thumb.
Blow on your fist and open slowly........revealing a ready rolled ciggy!!

Its a killer that I am happy to share.

Christo

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results