Time?

Nov 28, 2009
JUST WONDERING, HOW MANY OF YOU USE TIME AS A MISDIRECTION. I'M FAIRLY NEW AT THIS AND WONDER IF ITS SOMETHING THAT WEAKENS MY PERFORMANCE?:confused:

Don't write in all caps, it doesn't look good and is actually against the forum rules.

Time misdirection is perfectly fine however, it depends on how you use it and the setting in which you are.

If you are doing some close-up magic in a street environment then time misdirection needs to be done quickly and effectively. The best way is to really get all focus off the deck before and right after you start using it again, it isn't very difficult if you have a good presentation to go along with it.

If you are doing more of a formal set up then use w/e you need to. Ricky Jay has a video of an effect that I don't believe uses time misdirection but is a good example of what it would look like. He gets two people two cut a spreaded deck, and in between each cut he goes on about a Japanese shogun I believe. He really incorporates a story into it that is interesting but just throws in the effect also with the "free" history lesson.

Nov 28, 2009
Don't write in all caps, it doesn't look good and is actually against the forum rules.

Time misdirection is perfectly fine however, it depends on how you use it and the setting in which you are.

If you are doing some close-up magic in a street environment then time misdirection needs to be done quickly and effectively. The best way is to really get all focus off the deck before and right after you start using it again, it isn't very difficult if you have a good presentation to go along with it.

If you are doing more of a formal set up then use w/e you need to. Ricky Jay has a video of an effect that I don't believe uses time misdirection but is a good example of what it would look like. He gets two people two cut a spreaded deck, and in between each cut he goes on about a Japanese shogun I believe. He really incorporates a story into it that is interesting but just throws in the effect also with the "free" history lesson.

Thanks this helped me a good bit, sorry about the caps. I didn't even notice until just now. I usually use a joke or something along those lines, I try to keep it relevant to what I'm doing.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Absolutely, I use time misdirection. Actually, there are lots of ways to use it. Of course, on the most basic level, people forget about things, and that helps to misdirect away from something you've done. But there are ways to take it a step further - one of my favourite techniques is to then re-write spectators' memories of what happened using misstatements.

Anyway, the point is that used correctly, time misdirection has a LOT of potential, if used correctly, and certainly won't weaken your magic. As long as you have a genuine reason for using time misdirection (i.e. you're actually doing something, and not just wasting time for the sake of it), it'll work well.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results