Tips On Reveals

Sep 12, 2013
I'm a newer magician that started learning what a double lift was 8 months ago and now I've found others who share my passion at my school. And something we do just for fun is two of us approach a spectator for magic with a card already agreed upon and one magician walks away, the other forces that card, the other comes back and "reads the spectator's mind" to figure out the card. Now about half of the time we get good reactions and by good I mean at least a "How did you do that??" or a open jaw and gasp. For the other half we get little to nothing. So my question in general is, how do you guys strengthen a reveal? I understand some effects are just plain strong reveals in themselves but I'm sure some of you add a little something to your effects to help out your reveal. Thanks for reading, I appreciate any and all help!

TL;DR What do you do to make your reveals a little bit stronger?

Nov 26, 2013
I'm a newer magician that started learning what a double lift was 8 months ago and now I've found others who share my passion at my school. And something we do just for fun is two of us approach a spectator for magic with a card already agreed upon and one magician walks away, the other forces that card, the other comes back and "reads the spectator's mind" to figure out the card. Now about half of the time we get good reactions and by good I mean at least a "How did you do that??" or a open jaw and gasp. For the other half we get little to nothing. So my question in general is, how do you guys strengthen a reveal? I understand some effects are just plain strong reveals in themselves but I'm sure some of you add a little something to your effects to help out your reveal. Thanks for reading, I appreciate any and all help!

TL;DR What do you do to make your reveals a little bit stronger?
You could have a big envelope, with a question mark or something like that on it, and with a piece of paper inside with a card written on the paper. Give them the envelope, and tell them you wrote the name of a card on a piece of paper inside. Force a card and then tell them to open the envelope. That is just one of hundreds of reveals you could do. All you have to do is be creative, I'm sure you'll think of something.

Sep 2, 2007
London
This is a fascinating subject, and one which goes right to the heart of strong magical performance.

First up, I think we need to remember that a close-up magic trick is effectively a small piece of intimate theatre. Even if it's semi-improvised, it's at its most effective when there's a good story structure with a beginning and middle and an end. Or, as the classic quote goes "a beginning, a muddle and an end". In other words, the structure should be like this:

- Beginning - the premise is clearly established (e.g., the spectator has a freely-selected card in their mind and a magician who was nowhere near when the selection took place is going to attempt to glean its identity).

- Middle - there is some sort of conflict which stands in the way of success (e.g., the second magician is finding it difficult to get the information from the spectator's mind).

- End - resolution (e.g., the second magician, despite his difficulties, manages to identify the card).

Sometimes, as magicians, we forget about the middle part, so we just establish the premise (e.g., the card is in the middle of the deck), and then skip right to the resolution (e.g., its jumped to the top). That would be like a detective film where a dead body is discovered, the murderer gives themselves up without a fight and the credits roll. It's not a particularly satisfying story. If it's that easy, then who cares?

As magicians, our audiences don't know whether what we're doing is easy or difficult, so we get to choose how they see us through our performances. If it's something as simple a revealing a card, make it look difficult. Make it seem like you're having to exert every ounce of your skill and concentration to even just get whether it's red or black, and then push yourself even further to get the suit. Then, when you say something like, "OK, so there are thirteen values, so this is the really difficult bit", then tension is ramped up for the climax. If it was that hard to get a 50/50 choice accurately, imagine how much it's going to take to get a 1 in 13 right.

I mentioned tension there. And I thought I'd mention it again because once you've started thinking of magic performances as theatre, then building tension is going to be your favourite hobby. A lot of it is about timing and pacing, and making sure your audience is genuinely with you and isn't just politely waiting for the end. It's something that will develop with time and thousands of performances, but you can definitely give yourself a head-start by breaking the stories of your tricks down into the three-part structure I've suggested.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
How do you reveal it now?

Revealing a thought of card is something I have done for a long time and I usually get good reactions. But my reveal is a fairly long process for what it is and I do a lot of build up, as TeeDee was talking about. If you just have them select the card then you tell them what it is, that's boring.

You need to develop a sense of drama and tension. TeeDee is very much right, it's a lot of fun to do this. Both for the audience and the performer.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results