Torn Asunder

Sep 1, 2007
Here's what I know about Torn Asunder already:

This was advertiesed in an issue of Genii for $500 without Chris' permission.
Gary Ouellet (R.I.P.) was selling it at the Camirand Academy, but none of the orders were sent out. Gary created the move for ironing out the creases, called the Ouellet Switch (For his T&R called Threshold). David Williamson created the peeling off of the signature from one of his books. I have heard that this did not uses stooges. I know that the first eve one piece at a time torn and restored card was created by David Regal in one of his early videos, and was called Piece by Piece. After David Copperfield performed Torn Asunder on TV, Guy Hollingworth wanted to try and recreate that just using sleight of hand, and based his routine on J.C. Wagner's One Tear at a Time. Then, John Lovick wanted an easier version of Guy's routine, and created the Reparation, which was in one of Regal's books and appeared on VHS and DVD by itself.

Sep 1, 2007
Here's what I know about Torn Asunder already:

This was advertiesed in an issue of Genii for $500 without Chris' permission.
Gary Ouellet (R.I.P.) was selling it at the Camirand Academy, but none of the orders were sent out. Gary created the move for ironing out the creases, called the Ouellet Switch (For his T&R called Threshold). David Williamson created the peeling off of the signature from one of his books. I have heard that this did not uses stooges. I know that the first eve one piece at a time torn and restored card was created by David Regal in one of his early videos, and was called Piece by Piece. After David Copperfield performed Torn Asunder on TV, Guy Hollingworth wanted to try and recreate that just using sleight of hand, and based his routine on J.C. Wagner's One Tear at a Time. Then, John Lovick wanted an easier version of Guy's routine, and created the Reparation, which was in one of Regal's books and appeared on VHS and DVD by itself.
Wow! That is a lot of history about how TNR card effects evolved from one another.

Sep 1, 2007
Yeah. Also, as far as I know, Fusion and Unripped were created to be similar to Torn Asunder. They are very similar in effect. The Ripped and Restored came along, and then Torn was created. torn is pretty much the exact same thing as Ripped and Restored, except it doesn't end as clean, and it doesn't include the bonus effects. Nowadays, whenever someone mentions a piece by piece card restoration, they immediatly think it is the same thing as torn. That is completely wrong. I have also heard ReinCARDnation looks similar to Torn, but you couldn't have 2 effects that look more different. I was just hoping that Chris himself could give us a little bit more information about this legendary torn and restored card, Torn Asunder.

Then Ripped and Restored came along, and then Torn was created. torn is pretty much the exact same thing as Ripped and Restored, except it doesn't end as clean, and it doesn't include the bonus effects.

I think it is funny how many people don't know this simple fact. I owned Ripped and Restored long before torn came out. I bought Torn when it first came out, way back in the magic smith days. I mean this was a gritty VHS tape with a skinny Daniel Garcia in the back of a magic shop kind of tape.

I was so surprised when it looked almost exactly like Ripped and Restored except for the last piece, which in my mind looked BETTER but also left you with more of a clean up.

At least Garcia credits Yve's (at least on my gritty VHS version), but it is weird that we didn't hear more of an uproar from Yve's since it is basically the exact same effect.

Sep 1, 2007
Yes, it is amazing. The closest marketed trick to that is Unripped by Gared Crawford, and I HIGHLY reccomend that. The card is signed on both halves. it is torn, and the first 2 pieces are visually restored, and it can be handed out for examination. The third piece is restored, then the last piece, and it can be handed out again. Next, you remove the creases, and pull the signature right off. You can see a video of the restoration on the Magicvideodepot.com, without the crease and signature removal.

Sep 1, 2007
Another torn and restored card where you remove the creases and pull off the signature is called Fusion by Sean Fields. The good thing about that one is, for the restoration itself, you don't need a duplicate card. ou don't even need to ruin a whole card. I recommend that one too, it fairly cheap. You can get it at Hocus Pocus.

Sep 1, 2007
TheGuy26, thanks for all the information you have provided so far. Very interesting indeed. I would also like for Chris K to shed some light on Torn Asunder as I am sure there are many magicians who would be interested in the history and stories around this piece of magic from the creator himself.

Aug 31, 2007
Nowadays, whenever someone mentions a piece by piece card restoration, they immediatly think it is the same thing as torn. That is completely wrong.

Thank you god! I hate it when on YouTube, there's a TnR, like something that is NOTHING like TORN, and came out YEARS before it. Then, n00bs comment something like "OMFG! WHY IS EVRYTHING COMPYIN TORN!"

If I was Danny Garcia, I would feel a little disgraceful, because he marketed basically someone else's trick, with a minor difference, and marketed it like it was the only TnR in the world.

Sep 1, 2007
People need to understand the order they came out:

Piece by Piece (David Regal, Star Quality)
Torn Asunder (Chris Kenner, not released)
One Tear at a Time (J.C. Wagner, VHS)
The Reformation (Guy Hollingworth, VHS and Drawing Room Deceptions)
The Reparation (John Lovick, VHS, DVD, and Close-Up and Personal by David Regal)
Ripped and Restored (Yves Doumergue, VHS and DVD)
Torn (Daniel Garcia, VHS and DVD)

Some other ones that should be noted (no specific order):

Resurrxion (Nigel Harrison, DVD)
Re-Attached (Lance Akerman, booklet)
UnRipped (Gared Crawford, DVD)
Perfect Asunder (Mix Starr, DVD)
Holy Grail (Jordan Johnson, DVD)
Seamless (Glenn West, PDF for limited time)

That's about all I have to say about that.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results