Touch tutorial on YouTube - is this wrong??

MisMag822 has recently uploaded a tutorial on the effect Touch by Hanson Chien, which is available on The Wire. I know there are thousands of tutorials on youtube, some probably for this very effect, the difference however, is that mismag822 gets thousands if not tens of thousands of views. Just because the effects not copyrighted does this mean its ok. I don't think so. Every person who watches that video is someone not going to buy the effect. That seems very wrong to me and personally I'm very surprised that Jay (mismag822) would upload a video like this. Share your thoughts.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
MisMag822 has recently uploaded a tutorial on the effect Touch by Hanson Chien, which is available on The Wire. I know there are thousands of tutorials on youtube, some probably for this very effect, the difference however, is that mismag822 gets thousands if not tens of thousands of views. Just because the effects not copyrighted does this mean its ok. I don't think so. Every person who watches that video is someone not going to buy the effect. That seems very wrong to me and personally I'm very surprised that Jay (mismag822) would upload a video like this. Share your thoughts.

This is wrong, very wrong. There is no way to copyright a magic trick unfortunately so the only protection we have is among ourselves.

Jan 22, 2012
Well this doesn't surprise me considering MisMag822 has also posted a tutorial on Untitled by Luke Dancy which is on the theory11 site.

Mismag822 is great for beginners and teaches people the basics. He should stick to that instead of revealing tricks that are on the wire.

Exactly. I think most of us have kind of accepted the fact that basic card tricks and stuff is going to be on youtube. Yes, these basics are on the market somewhere and should be being bought. But the fact is, its never going to change.
However, teaching popular, current effects that are for sale is way way too far. I dont think anyone will argue.

My real question though is what shall we do about it. No, more importantly is there anything possible to do about it. After all, the footage in a vid or text in a book can be copyrighted but the actuall trick cant.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results