Training coin magic

Jan 11, 2008
Copenhagen
Im just starting in the art of coin magic, and I wanna here any sugestion on how i should train? the vanish ( french drop, retention vanish etc.) appearence, etc.
Anyone have experience of a good way of learning these moves?

Hope to hear some tips, programs or something like that : )

// Simon

Ashrei

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
For the basic in coin magic, perhaps the most important things to learn first is palming. When I was learning basic palms, I took two half-dollars, and put it in palm when I left the house. Of course, it really depended on which palming I wanted to practice, and some was easier than others. About a month, I placed half dollars into classic palming whenever I wasn't holding anything and just put my hands in my pocket, coins palmed. I think that really helped me with the palming.

So yeah... I'd start with palming.

Sep 2, 2007
J.B. bobo's Modern coin magic is AMAZING. it teaches the basics, vanishes, productions and routines. it's amazing.

Sep 1, 2007
Melbourne
Just palm coins all the time...
I used to always have coins palmed
while reading, eating, writing, etc
then when I was stationary and not doing anything I would start playing around with vanishes.
It's easier for you to start with the 3 basic palm false transfers as vanishes.
Finger Palm, Classic Palm and Thumb palm.
Practice with both hands till they're identical to when you would really transfer a coin. Imitate the natural motion of your fingers

i would suggest to practice on your free time when doing every day tasks like typing at a computer (this is for the classic palm) or walking from point A to point B... its like the old saying goes "practice makes perfect"....

if your looking for a source for the moves i would also recommend J.B. Bobo's Modern Coin Magic it has clear descriptions on the moves as well as illustrations for most moves. there was a website a while back that had video of magicians whom had this book and would show them performing the moves so that if someone didnt understand the description in the book they could see it in action, but i dont have the link any more .. maybe a search at the cafe for "bobo web site" or "modern coin magic site" might bring the site up again.

if on the other hand you want a way to practice your angles on the moves i would look for a magician friend whom is willing to practice with you and give you pointers on how you are doing and where you are flashing. if that is not available the next best thing is to get a practice mirror (which is what i did).....

if you dont want to buy a ready made practice mirror which would set you back about 20 to 30 USD you can just make one(which i did :p) ....basically go down to your local walmart or hardware store and find mirror tiles they are about 1 ft by 1ft and come in packs of 6 also pick up a roll of duct tape (if you dont already have some at home) ... take the duct tape and attach 3 mirrors together so that the mirrors on the outsides can fold inwards on top of the middle one... and for about 16 USD and a little of your time you can make 2 practice mirrors that will last you a long time if taken care of.... or you could keep 1 and sell the other to a friend.

just my 2 cents

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results