Trick recommendation

Feb 20, 2011
Hi,
so I'm lets say 90% Cardist and 10% Magician until now, meaning I have done some magic tricks but not very often and not so good either. But I do Cardistry a lot and often people who watch me ask me to do a card trick.
So what I would like you to do is to recommend me some coll tricks that, in your opinion meet my style of performance best.
So here are some more details about me & my style of performance.

I'm 18 years old, male, student, liking Reagge/rap/punk and basketball (Really unique, I know :p)

So to my magic style of performance and presentation style in general:
- humorus and sometimes ironic
- "talking like a talkmaster and always with this half shy, half amused look on his face" (that's what my mother says)
- generally I got the best reactions from like 40-50 year olds while people about my age give me about 80% of the reaction I get from those older ones (If that helps you somehow, it's just something I noticed from my few performances 'til now)
- I'm now doing cardistry for about 2 years and magic for a bit more than half a year (for the skill level :p)
- I do about 3-5 hours cardistry a day, meaning this time could easily be taken for practice :]

So now I'm excited for your tips and already want to thank you for reading and helping me :)

Mouseff

yea DGP are good, i would pick up a good book
if you are new to magic pick up card college, (saying you want to do card magic)
if you want "impromptu" magic check out on the spot with greg wilson
its really nice to learn all kinds of magic.

Feb 20, 2011
First I want to thank you for your quick replys :)

I wouldn't say that I'm new to magic, I already know a few methods such as forces and controls, I just don't really focused on practicing them up to this point. I sometimes do a card trick, but then its most of the time a hindu force trick or Mindreach, tricks that don't come with sleights :p (meaning I'm not new to magic, but still would call myself a beginner.)

Further more I like cards more than rubber bands or coins. ( Is there anything like coinistry? ;))

As far as books are concerned, I own The Royal Road to Card Magic but I never came very far because the first few tricks with the overhand shuffle and the riffle shuffle kinda don't work on my family and friends for they're pretty much all into playing card games and no card player is fooled by some riffle shuffle ( as I already had to experience). It could be, that I just presented the tricks bad enough for them to figure out, but my overhand/riffle are pretty nice I think... anyway I never felt the "fire" with this book and so I put it back and got back to cardistry once again :p

Mouseff

p.s. DGP = Daniel Garcie Project, right?

Why don't you just pick up Royal Road to Card Magic, or Card College, or Tarbell's, or Mark Wilsons Course in Magic learn how to do some card magic, and then figure out for yourself how to adapt the sleight of hand to your performance style?

Jan 10, 2009
University Park PA
It sounds like you want tricks that you can do when you're flourishing and people ask to see magic. Since most (not all, but most) tricks are some form of a "they select a card you find a cool way to reveal it", I will second Draven. If you learn sleights and controls, then you could for example control a card to the top or bottom (or other location) and then reveal it by doing a flourish where you finish holding one card and it is theirs. Just some ideas off the top of my head.

Apr 2, 2011
If you present the Royal Road to Card Magic the way it's written then it's boring. Like most magicians say, take it to the next level.

I'll make "Thought Stealer" an example.

First of all, what's the main goal of this effect? To make them think of one of those 6 cards right? You could even just use 5 cards for this. So why not just say: I just want to try something to see how you think. If you're going to think of any card in the deck, what would it be? If they mention one of those 6 or 5 cards, bingo! You have a miracle. If they don't you say: Okay. Good! That's interesting. Now let's try the real stuff. I have a picture here with 6 cards, I want you to think of one of them and it's important for you to know that you can change your mind as much as you want. Now spell the card you're thinking of one card per letter.

That's just 2 alternate ideas. This is a powerful effect if presented right and it's a magician fooler.

Do not underestimate the Royal Road to Card Magic. Trust me. It's gold!

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 10, 2009
University Park PA
yeah.
so do you know some very flourishy controls? :)

I don't know any flourishy controls, but controls and the behind the scenes work are better done on the off beat. So learn the controls, then apply them, and work the flourishes in around them.

Also I agree with SimpleMagic. Royal road is amazing, even though the given plots are mostly outdated if not boring. Once you know a bunch of controls and sleights you can apply them to your style of magic in whatever ways work for you.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Since you already own Royal Road, go ahead and start there. Re-read the first few chapters and then move deeper into them. Cardistry and Magic have different ideas when it comes to the complex, knuckle busting moves you've practiced; in Cardistry your goal is to bring these moves to the forefront and show your skill - magic is the opposite, any move that you have to practice is meant to be concealed from your audience.

It's a different mindset. Knowing when and where to draw attention is a big part of success in magic.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results