Tricks that your audience remember ....

I love that handling except for the idea of switching the colours of the piles. I perform that by using the move from Galaxy.

Can't say I am familiar with that move. Do you have a source for it? As I am intrigued.

I would say though, that whilst the switching of the colours is totally illogical, I have never had it questioned. I usually fob it of with some dumb excuse about trying to prevent the spectator showing preference to the left\right pile (seems to work)! Plus, when you pick up the piles to show them, if you do it right, you can arrange them so that the final image is that of one red pile and one black. This final image is so powerful it is the one that sticks in their mind, more so than the two rows of two colours.

Plus in my experience, when people remember the trick, the never remember the fact that you dealt the first half of the pack, or that you switched the colours half way through. They remember it as they shuffled the deck, dealt it into two piles and all the coulours were separate. Real magic is what people remember, not what actually happened (as some previous posts have pointed out)

Rev

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
The move can be found in Art of Astonishment (Book 3) under the galaxay effect. I have done many variations of how to get the two colours completly seperate. One of my favourites is opening at the point where the two colours meet and jamming the other packet into the gap. It is bold and when you turn the deck over you can show that they seperated the cards into red and black.

Otherwise the method of switching in and out whole packets is always effective and my personal favourite for most situations.

Jan 16, 2008
I love Derren's handling however I usally only do about 5 - 10 of each colour.

I feel that for a pure mentalism piece a full deck out of this world is too impossible. If we were to do the maths on just a 10 card version (just five of each for the sake of maths) we get expanded so i dont have to get the scientific calculator out;

5/10 * 4/9 * 3/8 * 2/7 * 1/6 = 120 / 30240 or approx 0.004 or about half a percent.

But if the amount of cards gets any less, it would become similar to Oil & Water. A bit too "plausible" in my mind for a pure mentalism piece. But you are correct; impossiblity-wise and time-wise, I would prefer using less than 25 cards.
Just on a side note, to mentalists who know Bob Cassidy's deck memorization piece; ever thought of doing an Out of This World in that style? One spectator on stage, face down deck, the magician/mentalist yells out "black/red" as spec drops cards haphazardly on floor, in the end with two colored piles on the floor.
For me, that style of separating cards hits stronger than just a sit-down style. Just my preference. Totally off-topic, sorry.

Sep 1, 2007
Oddly, my most requested effect is the "cell phone trick" as they refer to it.
It's a way to get a card to appear on my cell phone.

It got pretty famous in a hilarious, extremely shocking way.

I had a 2 guys pick cards, 1 a JH and 1 a 5c (my favorite force cards for some reason). I had my cell phone in the closed card box without them knowing it (my friend snuck it in as a joke on my after I did pressure with it xD, which turned out really really well). I dribbled the cards on the box, and said to one of the guys "look in the box" He opened it, dumped out the phone and triumphantly said "Theres nothing there!"

I put the J and A heart on the flap all my card boxes in pen right after I oepn them. For some reason nobody sees it when they open it at first. Well, some of his friends behind him saw it, I heard a gasp, some laughs, and then got a card to mouth reaction from everyone when he noticed that his card had been on the flap.

That was great for itself, but the other guy with the 5c still hadn't had his card revealed. I told him to open my phone (they were freaking out at this point, in the style of David Blaine, Youtube edition). I have a picture of a bicycle back on my home screen, and I told them it's their card, as a gag. I told them to flip the card over (the phone really) and wait a sec, then look at it. Staring them in the face was the 5C, right where the back of the card was a moment ago.

I actually have been performing using my cell phone for a long long time. I used to simply force the card, have it show up on my home screen, boom done. With the newer phones, I do "color changes" (oh god, soooo funnnnn) and the effect described above. If anyone wants to know what feature I use just drop me a pm I'll try to help you set it up. It's really easy and the reactions are hard to beat

Best of luck,

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results