Trouble Creating Routine

Dec 22, 2007
I'm sad.

I know tricks and I practice them but i cant think of a good routine and they dont go together well.

And im scared to perform and all I do is practice and now I'm sad.

D

Deleted member 2755

I'm sad.

I know tricks and I practice them but i cant think of a good routine and they dont go together well.

And im scared to perform and all I do is practice and now I'm sad.

You don't need the world's greatest patter. Depending on the trick, you don't even need patter.:rolleyes: If you are positive you know your stuff, perform it. :D Your parents is a great starting point. ;)

-Doug

Dec 22, 2007
Yea i know, but i have nn one to perform to and even if i do sometimes im scared. And i dont even know if i should perform cause my routine sucks.

Sep 1, 2007
You think it's going to get any better by just practicing in your room?

There's no solution other than to get out there and perform.

If you need help writing scripts, I and others can help you.

Sep 1, 2007
Use strong tricks that don't need patter, and you don't need a routine.

I'm sorry, what?

Just because David Blaine can get away with silence and minimalist scripting doesn't mean everyone can. I would never tell someone who has a problem with scripting to go silent. It requires far more subtlety, restraint, and tact than 99% of the people who advocate it realize.

Nov 17, 2007
Yeah man. I had the same problem. What if I mess up? What if I flash? Will they be impressed? Will they laugh? Trust me on this man. Just go out there and perform. Try to do simple easy tricks you know you can't fail at. This will build up your confidence. Simple sandwich. Do a force then a prediction. Simple but hard hitting stuff. Once you have over come your fear of performing, move on to the bigger more challenging stuff. Big rutines, more sleights, etc. PERFORM. You can't go wrong. =)

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007
Yea i know, but i have nn one to perform to and even if i do sometimes im scared. And i dont even know if i should perform cause my routine sucks.

come on man. Have a little faith. Perform it for your parents, friends, random people. And even if you are scared, that's completly normal. Everyone gets nervous at some point.

The only way to get rid of that is by getting yourself out there and perform until you feel better about performing. :D

Just keep doing it man!

May 24, 2008
If doing this makes you feel both sad and scared, then maybe you should consider picking up a different hobby. Seriously.

Mar 30, 2008
DC
Here is a small routine I used when I started to perform on the street.

1) Sandwich Effect
2) Biddle Trick
3)Two Card Monte or any variation. Maybe do Tivo 2.0 in their hands.
4) Force a Card and then patter it up mentally to just guess their card-easy, simple, effective
5) EDIT: I do not know why i wrote this just ignore it
6) ACR-if you have a Trick Sharpie, use it

You can end with that or you can do any kind of gaff card trick as your 5th trick, and then end with the ACR.

By establishing a routine, you know what you want to do when and you take away the fear of not knowing what you do next. Eventually you might have to switch up the routine, but at that time you will now be scared. By just performing simple hardhitting routines, you can really get rid of your fears.

Last edited by a moderator:
Relax

Don't think, "I'm going to mess up. I'm going to mess up." Thats when you will mess up. Take baby steps. First get an EASY trick PERFECT! Then when you get the opportunity, perform. If you are in control of your mind and you are concous (sp?) of what you are doing you will do well. Just RELAX!

Dec 22, 2007
dont think i havent performed before, cuz i have.

thats part of the reason i feel like crap. when i sucked at magic, thats when i performed,

now that im somewhat good, im scared. how ironic.

Mar 30, 2008
DC
Yeah adjones I have no idea why i wrote 'do it again if they ask'. I was making up the routine on the spot for simple magic. Although I have only been doing magic for a few years, I do know that rule lol, I just don't know why i wrote that.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Yeah adjones I have no idea why i wrote 'do it again if they ask'. I was making up the routine on the spot for simple magic. Although I have only been doing magic for a few years, I do know that rule lol, I just don't know why i wrote that.

So you lied? Did you actually use that routine before, like you said in the post, or did you really just make it up on the spot like you just said? :rolleyes:

Mar 30, 2008
DC
Yeah haha, I just said that to make it more convincing. I guess the routine could work lol.

Sorry.

May 6, 2008
Egypt
I had the same trouble performing in the beginning, and i think everyone did , just go out there and try performing easy but strong effects, and what is the worst that could happen?? Don't get scared and give up , and the real reason for learning magic is not knowing sleights and tricks and practicing them but rather perform!!

And about the routine, try to make a short 3 or 5 tricks routine and it doesnot have to be scripted , but rather let come to you naturally:)

Hope that helps...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results