Universal Impression

Aug 31, 2007
no, it is not.

edit: answer is from the dvd producers posted on the magic cafe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
Evidently that day is not today... :p

I think this looks really cool - been looking for a good close up impression board of kinds... Being as it's Smith I'm sure it's going to be up to scratch! He's a very talented guy from what I've seen so far!!

I think Mello's "Technique" looks crazy too though - It's nice to see some mentalism that makes you go "wtf? How'd he get that?!" at least that's what it made me do!

D.

May 19, 2008
manchester
whats the differance between the two? I mean the impression one just seems less impromputu and more expensive that tequnique? I dunno...

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
There are TONS of different ways of getting a peek of what people have drawn or written, as well as lots of ways to gauge what they've written with out seeing...

U.I. is some form of impression gimmick as far as I can tell (I'm sure papercrane will correct me!) which means that using the device (or whatever) you can see a direct copy of what they've drawn.

To me, Technique looks like something else, it looks very hands off which suggests that maybe he's teaching his work on alternate ways of finding out what they've drawn, you know, like reading the movements of their pen or something - but he's turned away in the videos, so I dunno... I've a few ideas, but I'll be picking it up just to find out what it's all about - looks like a great DVD :D

D.

May 19, 2008
manchester
mmm..... it just it seems a bit strange when you realese two effects that are very similiar exept one is cheap and impromputu and other one isnt?

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
mmm..... it just it seems a bit strange when you realese two effects that are very similiar exept one is cheap and impromputu and other one isnt?

Although this may seem obvious, it should be addressed.
The fact that there is a large price difference doesn't make any diofference. They will sell dependant on the specifics of what the individual performer requires.
If I want a method for obtaining CERTAIN types of information, Technique might be best.
If I want a method for obtaining LOTS of different types of information, I would pay more for UI.

And the question of whether something is or isn't impromptu doesn't make a shred of difference, unless you're a 'purist'.

Hope this helps.

CL

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
TBH, If you're a working professional an impromptu factor, though it's cool, doesn't really matter - I go to gigs with my pockets loaded with the stuff I need, for some one who doesn't really look like they use too many props I feel like a walking Selfridges of magical goods!

Like Chris mentioned, they're 2 different products both with ups and downs... I'm sure all will be clear when people post some reviews.

I may even review one, imagine that!:p

D.

Aug 31, 2007
Although this may seem obvious, it should be addressed.
The fact that there is a large price difference doesn't make any diofference. They will sell dependant on the specifics of what the individual performer requires.
If I want a method for obtaining CERTAIN types of information, Technique might be best.
If I want a method for obtaining LOTS of different types of information, I would pay more for UI.

And the question of whether something is or isn't impromptu doesn't make a shred of difference, unless you're a 'purist'.

Hope this helps.

CL

Hey man, you hit the nail on the head. I am a purist. I almost NEVER use gimmicks for mentalism. It's the main reason I worked on Technique. I wanted something that I could do anywhere with no setup.

The main reason I dislike gimmicks is the fact that you perform something for someone one day when you have the gimmick on you. But, the next day if you don't have it and they ask you to perform it again, your screwed. So, with Technique I can perform effects that are just as impressive as the gimmicked version and can do it all the time.

I am sure that many people will get Universal Impression and I think that's great. I saw how it worked and admit that it is very clever. But, I think Paper Cranes reasoning for releasing two similar products is so when you are in a completely impromptu situation and someone brings up that trick you performed with UI, you can now perform with Technique with some slight modifications.

Well, either way, I hope you all enjoy it. I've been using it for a very long time now and it always gets amazing reactions. Just as good as if I was using an impression pad. Essentially the effects are the same in the eyes of the spectator, you just have to ask yourself if the time spent learning this technique is worth the ability to "read" someones mind anytime without needing to rely on a gimmick.

Matthew Mello

May 19, 2008
manchester
okay, im not trying to argue but can I just say this?

if you ARE performing to someone and you do either T or UI, they are not gonna know the differance... as in, "this guy told me what number I had writen down while he was looking round the whole time", or "this guy told me what number I had writen down and he didnt see it"...

so all im saying is that sometimes if you can get the same effect from something (probabbly) less complicated and quicker to set up AND cheaper... if you know what I mean... what does anyone else think?

Dec 26, 2007
Universal Impression and Technique are both tools for the practical magician or mentalist. UI is what I use any time I want to have a spectator concentrate on a thought. Technique is great when used a long side of UI especially when doing mind reading with 2 people at the same time. For example you think of a number and you think of a person. I think UI will be something that when you see it you have to have it. That strengths of that gimmick are so strong that you will se it all the time and you will ill with it all the time.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results