Video Competition

Feb 12, 2009
Hi guys, i need some suggestions, i wanna join this competition. However to get into the competition, i have to submit a video of my magic performance (less than 3 minutes). And if i get shortlisted into the grand finals of the competition i have to perform it on stage with hundreds of audiences.

I have like only 1 day to prepare for the video because of exams, it must be a raw video with no editing. Any suggestions what trick i can perform that can get me a chance in the competition?

P.S the competition is not mainly for magic. I will be competing with other people with different talents like dancing and stuff...

Dec 10, 2007
Hi guys, i need some suggestions, i wanna join this competition. However to get into the competition, i have to submit a video of my magic performance (less than 3 minutes). And if i get shortlisted into the grand finals of the competition i have to perform it on stage with hundreds of audiences.

I have like only 1 day to prepare for the video because of exams, it must be a raw video with no editing. Any suggestions what trick i can perform that can get me a chance in the competition?

P.S the competition is not mainly for magic. I will be competing with other people with different talents like dancing and stuff...

The trick does not matter one bit, it matters how you present it. Build up the performance and interact with your audience. How you interact with them and the patter you choose are infinitely more important than the trick you choose to perform.

Feb 12, 2009
Entertainment is only 30% of the judging criteria.

another 30% go for Talent

30% in Uniqueness

and 10% for presentation

The problem now is how do i catch attention out of thousands of video?

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
The problem with magic especially on video is that it lacks the personal aspects.

My advice would have something with a nice kicker ending. A good effect would be something like a logical lesson from Full Metal Jacket, Simply Sydney or on Demand with Dan and Dave. A fairly simple trick that fries almost everyone.

Otherwise a good reset routine will allways work well.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
3 minutes is a time constraint. Will your stage performance only have 3 minutes?

If you had 6 or 7 you could pull off a good Cards Across routine with audience members. You'd need a logical (or illogical) reason they're traveling, but it plays well for both small and large audiences.

Or use fire to start something off.

You didn't tell us what kind of magic you do, if you're into coins (and have practiced the misers dream) it can play well.

Maybe do a really simple trick with an over-the-top presentation and explanation that makes the double lift seem completely impossible. (or force of a card) and then put the deck in the box, rubber banded, in a box, covered by a sheet (all done by a spectator) and then have it transport to an area where you've never been to (across the stage in the hat you placed down before you started).

Be a good trick with a signed card. I was just kind of making stuff up as I typed.

Feb 12, 2009
great idea!

3 minutes is a time constraint. Will your stage performance only have 3 minutes?

i think they won't have my stage performance down to 3 minutes, but i have to do the exact same performance i did in the video.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results