Video downloads vs. Books

Apr 9, 2016
Books. I think that I'm close to having 200 of them. I find that books allow you to understand a performer and their style. Reading something by Paul Harris is different than something by John Bannon which is different than something by Tom Stone. @FunkyBottoms and @FlipMagic86, reading the Marlo books is VERY different. I also enjoy the Miracle Factory books about some of the classic performers - Roy Benson by Starlight and The Secret Ways of Al Baker. Then there are the historical classics - Martin Gardner's Impromptu and Greater Magic. My favorite book is Jim Steinmeyer's Conjuring but his book Technique and Understanding is amazing. Card College, Art of Astonishment, Tarbell, The Books of Wonder are all great sets in their own way. I love the pure theory books like Larry Haas's Transformations, Magic and Meaning, Scripting Magic, Maximum Entertainment, the Show Doctor and the books that present magic with meaning like Tales of Enchantment, Life, Death and Other Card Tricks, This is Not a Book - OK anything by Robert E. Neale, or Eugene Burger. Anything by members of the Madrid school of magic: Ascanio, Tamariz, Giobbi and others. And then the compilations - Jinx, Apocalypse, Hirophant, Collected Almanac, Tailsman, Chronicles and more.

That being said, I have some amazing DVDs but they probably are not what you think. The best DVDs I have are focused on a single prop - Levent's DVDs on Linking Rings, Miser's Dream and Billiard Balls, Ammar's DVDs on Cups and Balls, Jeb Sherril's DVDs on Zombie Ball and the L&L DVDs on Zombie Ball, Bill in Lemon and others. Those just compile so much information in one place that you can use them to build your own personal routine.

I could tell earlier you had a nicely curated set of books, LOTS of excellent references I'd love to avail myself of! I'm still finishing up Hollingsworth's Drawing Room Deceptions from the last time you mentioned it.

You mentioned Ammar in the videos. I always wonder if others think his style is as corny, stiff and forced as I do. I love the guy, he's brilliant and is definitely a 'modern' classic in his own right, and he's worked with and is respected by many of the greats (the Dai Chronicles come to mind?). I blush with pseudo-embarrassment watching him perform though. :)

Lastly, I grin with envy every time I watch a Jason England vid. That library over his shoulder in many of them is beyond envious. Lots of very expensive 1st editions in there, and a vast collection. Man how I'd love to peruse that collection as well! :)

Jul 17, 2015
You'd think so, but it's been "in the works" for over a decade. I haven't seen mention of it for ages. My money is on not happening, which is indeed a shame, especially given the touting of a trilogy from Magic Inc.

Hell I suppose I could pick up the phone and find out, think I'll do just that and see what I can find out. I'll share when I get some info.

Also, you can still grab RCM and CY at many places fairly reasonably priced I'm sure. Also much of Marlo's works are available individually but it gets spendy. Ask me how I know. LOL!! Look into MINT I & II for some great Marlo treats, also reasonably priced if you shop around.
I'll do just that! So now its blatantly obvious that Ed Marlo is my favorite HAHAHA!

Jul 17, 2015
Books. I think that I'm close to having 200 of them. I find that books allow you to understand a performer and their style. Reading something by Paul Harris is different than something by John Bannon which is different than something by Tom Stone. @FunkyBottoms and @FlipMagic86, reading the Marlo books is VERY different. I also enjoy the Miracle Factory books about some of the classic performers - Roy Benson by Starlight and The Secret Ways of Al Baker. Then there are the historical classics - Martin Gardner's Impromptu and Greater Magic. My favorite book is Jim Steinmeyer's Conjuring but his book Technique and Understanding is amazing. Card College, Art of Astonishment, Tarbell, The Books of Wonder are all great sets in their own way. I love the pure theory books like Larry Haas's Transformations, Magic and Meaning, Scripting Magic, Maximum Entertainment, the Show Doctor and the books that present magic with meaning like Tales of Enchantment, Life, Death and Other Card Tricks, This is Not a Book - OK anything by Robert E. Neale, or Eugene Burger. Anything by members of the Madrid school of magic: Ascanio, Tamariz, Giobbi and others. And then the compilations - Jinx, Apocalypse, Hirophant, Collected Almanac, Tailsman, Chronicles and more.

That being said, I have some amazing DVDs but they probably are not what you think. The best DVDs I have are focused on a single prop - Levent's DVDs on Linking Rings, Miser's Dream and Billiard Balls, Ammar's DVDs on Cups and Balls, Jeb Sherril's DVDs on Zombie Ball and the L&L DVDs on Zombie Ball, Bill in Lemon and others. Those just compile so much information in one place that you can use them to build your own personal routine.
Valid points! So Im actually looking into more books on Theory. Any recommendations ?

Jul 17, 2015

Im not sure why my previous reply isn't showing.. but i was asking if you had any recommendations on Theory ? (Book) Im thinking about purchasing the Approach by jamie d grant. Your input would be appreciated sir.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I could tell earlier you had a nicely curated set of books, LOTS of excellent references I'd love to avail myself of!

Lastly, I grin with envy every time I watch a Jason England vid. That library over his shoulder in many of them is beyond envious. Lots of very expensive 1st editions in there, and a vast collection. Man how I'd love to peruse that collection as well! :)

I'm always glad to help with research or recommendations. A couple of years back I got to visit the Conjuring Arts Research Center in New York and have lunch with Bill Kalush. Talk about a book collection. Just amazing.

You mentioned Ammar in the videos. I always wonder if others think his style is as corny, stiff and forced as I do. I love the guy, he's brilliant and is definitely a 'modern' classic in his own right, and he's worked with and is respected by many of the greats (the Dai Chronicles come to mind?). I blush with pseudo-embarrassment watching him perform though. :)

I don't watch Ammar for his style, but for his ability and knowledge.

Valid points! So I'm actually looking into more books on Theory. Any recommendations ?

I'll post about books on theory in the other thread you created.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results