Volunteer Interview at Hospital

Aug 2, 2008
Cincinnati
Hey all,

I finally had my interview to be a possible volunteer at Children's Hospital in Cincinnati. I was interviewing with the Head of Volunteer Services. She asked me a bunch of questions about my current job being a high school math teacher. I answered honestly and with enthusiasm, whcih she seemed to like.

Then she asked to see some magic. I did some simply coin vanishes and reapperances. She totally flipped over those things. I then brought out the cards. I botched my first trick which was a sandwich trick. She was excited even though I didn't get her correct card, because I caught another card between the two black 8s that I was using. I did it again and got her correct card. Finally, I did the Biddle Trick and she absolutely flipped!

After that, we got down to details about orientation and working Weds 4-6 after I teach in the Fall. Then she walked me out of her office and showed some areas where I will be working. The plan is for me to hop around to the different clinic areas and just do magic. Pretty much table hopping at a restaraunt kind of thing. I might also drop in to the lunch room and do some there.

The last thing I wanted to mention was that as we were walking around, she kept grabbing random employees and telling me to do something to them. So did a few coin vanishes and 3 fry. Then did a transposition effect in their hands. The employees flipped out. All in all, I'd say it was a very successful interview and I think this will certainly help with presentation and just performing and being comfortable.

Any advice for me? I am all ears and could use any help that I can get. Thanks.

Chris

Oct 18, 2008
www.youtube.com
That's great news. congratulations. The only advice I can give is to be as loose as possible when performing for people. Just act like they are one of your relatives that you do magic for all the time, and perform as if you have known them for years.

Jul 14, 2008
I agreed the post above me. It seems that she is very excited for you to have volunteer. My advice for you is to be cool all about this excitement and be yourself. Other than that, it is an amazing opportunity.

Aug 2, 2008
Cincinnati
That's great news. congratulations. The only advice I can give is to be as loose as possible when performing for people. Just act like they are one of your relatives that you do magic for all the time, and perform as if you have known them for years.

Thanks for the advice. I was trying to be as calm as possible when I was put on the spot for random employees there. I also learned quickly that you need to be quick on your feet. An employee asked me about my other hand, so I had to quickly decide what to do. It probably wasn't the best peformance...otherwise he wouldn't have asked. Anyways, I just started pulling coins from behind people's ear and that actually satisfied him. Then I busted out some cards. So hopefully that worked well for me.

Thanks again for the advice. I appreciate it.

Aug 2, 2008
Cincinnati
I agreed the post above me. It seems that she is very excited for you to have volunteer. My advice for you is to be cool all about this excitement and be yourself. Other than that, it is an amazing opportunity.

Thanks for that. I will certainly keep my personality as I think its a good quality to be funny and joke around with others. It can make it that much better for the spectators who are, in my case, going to be sick kids coming to the hospital to get checked out. Thanks again.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Hey that's awesome!
I looked into doing this last year, but some things came up and it wasn't the right time.

It can be a really neat thing to teach the kids a trick. Penguin Magic will donate tricks for you to use and to give away to the kids. Email Maxwell and ask for more information about the penguin foundation. Let him know what you are doing, an effect that would be good to teach them, and how many you need, and they will hook you up.

It can be a real confidence booster to learn a magic trick. Good luck!

Justin

Aug 2, 2008
Cincinnati
Hey that's awesome!
I looked into doing this last year, but some things came up and it wasn't the right time.

It can be a really neat thing to teach the kids a trick. Penguin Magic will donate tricks for you to use and to give away to the kids. Email Maxwell and ask for more information about the penguin foundation. Let him know what you are doing, an effect that would be good to teach them, and how many you need, and they will hook you up.

It can be a real confidence booster to learn a magic trick. Good luck!

Justin

ooooh. Thanks man for the help! I will definitely look into that! I appreciate it.

Sounds like all you do are coins and cards. That will need to change.

The kids you'll be performing for aren't going to want to watch a drawn out card trick. Think colors and props. Sponge balls, chop cup, silks and a TT, maybe a change bag, magic coloring book, etc. I'm not saying you'll never get to bring out the cards, as I'm sure they'll be plenty of teenagers there, but it probably won't be as often as you'd like.

Regardless, congrats man. I think that's awesome that you're volunteering your time...especially because it's not court-mandated, LOL! :p

Anyways, let me know if I can be of any assistance to you.
Steve

Aug 2, 2008
Cincinnati
Sounds like all you do are coins and cards. That will need to change.

The kids you'll be performing for aren't going to want to watch a drawn out card trick. Think colors and props. Sponge balls, chop cup, silks and a TT, maybe a change bag, magic coloring book, etc. I'm not saying you'll never get to bring out the cards, as I'm sure they'll be plenty of teenagers there, but it probably won't be as often as you'd like.

Regardless, congrats man. I think that's awesome that you're volunteering your time...especially because it's not court-mandated, LOL! :p

Anyways, let me know if I can be of any assistance to you.
Steve

Thanks Steve,

I am excited for it to come. I think I can learn a ton with the experience. And as you said, I mainly do cards and coins. The lady said that there are a lot of teenagers that I will be dealing with. But of course, there will be kids there. And coins will only do so much. She mentioned that I might be able to buy some stuff and she would reimbursh me (and also said she would pay for a 12 pack of bikes when I mentioned having them sign a card and giving it to them as a gift) which I thought was impressive on her part. Any ideas where to get the things you mentioned?

On another note, she did mention that there was another magician that volunteers on Friday mornings who does silk and other things. I mentioned that I would love to shadow him and see what he does, so hopefully this will be arranged.

Anyways, thanks for the advice. Its greatly appreciated.

I hesitate to say this, but if you're not sure what a thumb tip is, then maybe you should re-consider this whole idea. If you're inexperienced, then I suggest making friends with the other magician that performs there and get some pointers from him.

Best.
Steve

Dec 30, 2008
I hesitate to say this, but if you're not sure what a thumb tip is, then maybe you should re-consider this whole idea. If you're inexperienced, then I suggest making friends with the other magician that performs there and get some pointers from him.

Best.
Steve

He probably just didn't know that TT meant thumb tip.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Sorry for the short hand.
I used to open with a simple silk appearance and vanish. It works great. However, dont use the little silk that comes with it. Spend the extra couple of dollars to by a 12''-18'' diamond cut silk with it. It looks way better.

Jusitn

Aug 2, 2008
Cincinnati
Sorry for the short hand.
I used to open with a simple silk appearance and vanish. It works great. However, dont use the little silk that comes with it. Spend the extra couple of dollars to by a 12''-18'' diamond cut silk with it. It looks way better.

Jusitn

No problem on the shorthand. That was one I did not know...my fault. And thanks for the advice. I will have to look into the silk.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results