Warming up a crowd

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
I have a small gig for an hour to warm up the crowd before a show.
They'll be sitting all around at tables.
Ive performed a lot before but rarely in this setting.
Any tips and advice on performing and approaching?

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
So...my approach would be to do it like standard table hopping which entails alternating different sets at tables that are next to each other. I would only spend about 5 minutes at each table and then start performing a few "parlour" style effects that play much bigger like Fiber Optics or something of that nature. Now everyone at the tables has seen you work at their table, they like you (hopefully) and will be more inclined to watch your "parlour" effects.

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Visualartist,

Awesome to see you back! Been a long while since I saw a new post from you. Hope things have been going superb for you lately!

I would go with what Rick said. Perform at each table for about that length then follow with what he said about performing some parlour effects to get the crowd even more warmed up after they've all been introduced to you.

Good luck with the gig man! I'm sure you'll adapt rather well.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Thanks casey,yeah its been too long. been focused in college and filming mostly.
Thats great advice guys thanks.
The show is actually an acting and performing troupe though. Theatre people.
They just asked me to perform table to table an hour before the show.

Jan 10, 2009
University Park PA
I've actually done a bunch of those gigs lately (in fact those are most of the gigs my club gets), and I would still say take the above advice simply because tables tend to enable slightly bigger tricks than a a more casual street magic setting would. Still, some street magic routines work just fine. I personally do a lot of sponge ball work in those settings because it is small, plays big, and can be seen by everyone at a table.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results