We Never Fail, We Succeed At Finding What Doesn't Work

Yes, that brilliant line was uttered by the master comedian, Christopher Titus. I feel it is something we can all really learn and benefit from, especially in magic.

If you dislike reading performance stories, move on to another thread, fair warning.

In January it will be officially 1 year since "The day the earth stood still". No, not the movie, thats what I call my performance at a party last January.

Having done some magic for a girl over Christmas, her parents asked me to perform for her birthday party in mid-January. Wanting to perform more and more often, I gladly accepted.

Leading up to the party I was miserable. I didn't want to perform in the slightest. I didn't even put together a routine until the night before.

As you can imagine, I BOMBED. The effects were poorly done, to technical for youngins (I'm southern, I can say that) to understand.. bah... it was horrific.

I left there feeling horrible and, over the next week of thinking, decided not to perform any more. I put my full heart into music and my drumming, something I thought I was much better at. I figured magic performance was done for me and for good.

Earlier this year my drum instructor moved away and quit teaching. Finding much more free time on my hands I began working harder on magic and my performance ability.

This next January, one year from the performance that nearly ended my magic career, I'm starting over.

My website is up, I'm doing my graphic work now and, when I launch, will have newspaper adds as well as flyers anywhere I can find to put them. I am going to do everything I can to make magic my part-time job. In there, in the trenches, where we should be.

The moral? Failure is not an end, it just shows us what doesn't work. Whenever you fail in life or magic choose to learn something from it. Also understand that times change, who you are or what you do today might not be the same in a year. I most certainly know I am a changed person from who I was just one year ago. Work hard, take your failures, and never give up. If I hadn't given up then, who knows where I could be now. Learn from your failure, and learn from mine.

C
(For anyone who cares for any reason, this is also on the Cafe)

Sep 1, 2007
I feel ya, stuff happens, and you have a choice: learn from it, or don't. Simple as that. Thanks for sharing your story, it's always encouraging to know that other magicians face the same hardships and difficulties (that totally sounded like something one could say in a support group).

Anyways, in all seriousness, thanks again man.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
You will also learn that sometimes you have prepared and prepared and are excited to do a show for a group and for some reason due to the audience...the venue...nerves...accidents...flashing...you will have a poor performance and feel terrible after the fact or on the way home. I have done a poor / mediocre show before and the very next day had the performance of my life and had killer reactions.
The more you do..the more prepared and ready you are to handle various situations.
Thanks for sharing your story.

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
Hey bud, that's a pretty sad story. Hope nothing like that ever happens to me. But i still think you should have just forgotten about it and just moved on with your magic. I believe in someone's signature it says "You try, you fail. You try, you fail. The real failure is when you stop trying"

Hey bud, that's a pretty sad story. Hope nothing like that ever happens to me. But i still think you should have just forgotten about it and just moved on with your magic. I believe in someone's signature it says "You try, you fail. You try, you fail. The real failure is when you stop trying"

Easier said than done. And truth of the matter is that if I had continued doing shows it would have been a disgrace to the art, I needed to stop, re-focus and then return.

C

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
All I can say is this: well done for not giving up. I used to ride a bike loads. One day I had a bad crash. I don't think I've ridden a bike since then, about 4 or 5 years ago. It's a shame, but still. If I'd got up, I'd still be cycling now. I learned from that - always get up. Never leave thinking 'never again'.

Jul 12, 2008
Kendal
Randomwrath and I did a show once. We both tend to prefer close up magic, done when people are not expecting it, like in Houchin's advert for Indecent (yes alright I am that sad), but we were hoping to start getting into proper paid shows etc. It went ok, but quite a lot went wrong. The rope through body was just embarrasing. It sort of fell apart. We have not done another show since - I think this is more because we did not enjoy it much rather than because it went terribly though. Either way it all counts to experience I suppose. (That is what you tell yourself when everything goes wrong you see)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results