Weak side help.

Nov 27, 2009
I'm right handed, and when I'm doing sponge balls, coins, cups and balls, or almost anything other than card magic, my left side is almost a tutorial on how the trick works because I flash so obviously on that side. I need to fix this! I'm working on some of my own ideas, but I'm wondering what you guys would suggest. The Cups and Balls in particular is difficult in relation to angle control due to the long counter that prevents me from turning to hide the bad angle. Any help?

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
I'm right handed, and when I'm doing sponge balls, coins, cups and balls, or almost anything other than card magic, my left side is almost a tutorial on how the trick works because I flash so obviously on that side. I need to fix this! I'm working on some of my own ideas, but I'm wondering what you guys would suggest. The Cups and Balls in particular is difficult in relation to angle control due to the long counter that prevents me from turning to hide the bad angle. Any help?

Get in front of a mirror and watch your hand. Also, make sure you aren't focusing purely on your left hand by staring at it while you place the object in. If you are still having trouble by flashing a tiny bit, I suggest making eye contact before you put it in your hand. The audience sees out the corner of their eye that something went into your hand, and this is also learning how to use more misdirection.

Then, get a video camera and tape yourself doing it. After you have done it a few times in a natural manner, review the footage and see where you are flashing. Then, work on THAT area you are lacking in and are flashing the most. Be more natural with your hands, make sure your finger "windows" are closed, and don't focus too hard on what is actually happening. Act like a ball really IS going into your hand, but don't over stress the fact.

Follow these steps and you should start getting better with your flashing problems in a couple of days. Hope I was able to help in some way. Start practicing! :)

Aug 17, 2010
I'm right handed, and when I'm doing sponge balls, coins, cups and balls, or almost anything other than card magic, my left side is almost a tutorial on how the trick works because I flash so obviously on that side.

The left side is weak for a right hander, but there are things you can do.

CaseyRudd is on the money - no move is so good that it can't benefit from the cover of good misdirection. You can cheat a bit by addressing the person on your left and doing the move to them, provided the move in question is good from the extreme right.

You can use the left hand to cover the angle better - instead of falsely transferring a coin/ball/sponge to the left hand that's horizontal, you can sort of rotate it up to halfway take the object, and cover the line of sight to your right palm.

You can sort of turn the moves so that the weak angle is below you, rather than to your left - make the transfer go from top to bottom, rather than side to side (if that makes any sense). Dean Dill does his retention of vision pass like this, and it looks very good. The bad angle is under your hands.

Nov 27, 2009
I've already been working with Casey Rudd's advise trying to figure out how to cover my moves better from that angle. I'll continue doing this until I get it right! Thanks Casey!

JButterfield, I like theidea of "moving the bad angle" so that it's below my hands, that's rather genius. The idea of covering the move with the left hand is also a useful one that I'll have to work on.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results