What if there is already another magician performing?

Dec 13, 2008
Morris, IL
Not sure how this question popped into my head. But I was wondering.............
What if you go to a party, club, bar, friends house, etc......... ready to perform some magic but coincidentally there is already someone else there performing before you. What do you do??? Do you respect this magician and give him his space to let him do his thing? Do you wait until he is done and then you perform? Or do you perform while he is performing too? Just curious to see what you guys would do in this situation. Also, if this situation has really happened to any of you guys out there, I'm sure not only me but other magicians would like to hear what you did as well. Thanks guys!

Nov 7, 2008
Hofstra Univ.
I would not do anything and just wait til they were finished or like down time and just talk with them. Just what kind of magic they do and what not, and ask to jam sometime.

Mar 2, 2008
Yea this happend to me before in summer school.

Really you just have to let him perform and leave them alone. You can still talk to him but don't try to start a compition.

timsilva

Elite Member
Nov 18, 2007
California
timsilva.com
1.) Be mature.
2.) Don't start a competition.
3.) Wait until they are done, and if you want, let that know that you do magic too and then if they seem interesting you can have a conversation.
4.) If you end up "jamming" or something like that, DON'T steal their cards or props from them! I've had way too many people do that to me, and it is extremely annoying. Kinda like that drunk guy who comes up and says, "Let me see those cards David Angel, I haves a triccks I want to SHow you!.,:)" - And then it ends up being one of those stupid mathematical ones that they forget half way through.
5.) Don't tell other people that you're a magician, because people are stupid and primal, and they will encourage a battle of some sort. Also, they will start off with asking, "Is this guy any good? Are you better?" etc... Don't even open that can of worms, it won't get anyone anywhere.

Oct 3, 2007
germany
4.) Kinda like that drunk guy who comes up and says, "Let me see those cards David Angel, I haves a triccks I want to SHow you!.,:)" - And then it ends up being one of those stupid mathematical ones that they forget half way through.

It's actually quite funny. EXACTLY this happened to me last summer. I just wanted to point this out as a warning to those to whom this has not yet happened to. I learned the annoying way :p

Mar 31, 2009
Went to the strip club the other night, not to perform or anything. Justin Miller was there and a Theory 11 guy. Cards were flying all over their table, I did not approach. As I was INDEED drunk and focused on other things.

Sep 3, 2007
Beat them up and steal their props.

Ha, they tell you to pick a card and when you hand it back it is a different colored back! Amazing, then say "HOW'D you DO THAT???". And then he hands it to you and it is Red, and then you hand it to him and it is Blue.

Really, Just leave them alone because they obviously got there before you.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Went to the strip club the other night, not to perform or anything. Justin Miller was there and a Theory 11 guy. Cards were flying all over their table, I did not approach. As I was INDEED drunk and focused on other things.

This was the post of the day.....ha ha. I'm laughing out loud. I have never seen cards out at a strip club. Only Justin. That's awesome.

Jan 13, 2008
What would I do? I would wait my turn. Once he or she is done and the crowd starts to dissipate (assuming he or she pulled a crowd), I'd wait for what I felt was a good moment to perform and then go from there. I wouldn't interrupt or heckle the other magician, though. But, when the magician isn't performing, it's really anyone's court to play in. :)

Sep 3, 2007
What would I do? I would wait my turn. Once he or she is done and the crowd starts to dissipate (assuming he or she pulled a crowd), I'd wait for what I felt was a good moment to perform and then go from there. I wouldn't interrupt or heckle the other magician, though. But, when the magician isn't performing, it's really anyone's court to play in. :)

Sounds like a great way to get your butt kicked. Learn respect.

One magician = enough for the court to play in. What would you be trying to prove anyhow? How good you are?

Bizzaro

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Vegas
www.smappdooda.com
Watch him, pull him aside, chat em' up and start talking about maic. If you both pull out a deck (this sounds dirty somehow) and start showing off to each other, someone else will come over and watch and you can maybe do one or two more IF SOMEONE asks.

At the nightclub I frequented I was known as THE magic guy. We had other people there who did it from time to time (Who other would tell me about) and I'd go say hello and we'd talk shop. Now if the guy is a tool, then don't do any magic either. Just ignore him.

Jan 13, 2008
Sounds like a great way to get your butt kicked. Learn respect.

One magician = enough for the court to play in. What would you be trying to prove anyhow? How good you are?
Hahaha, I thought we were talking about magicians, not drug dealers. :rolleyes:

And I wouldn't be trying to "prove" anything...I'd be trying to have fun with my friends, as the suggested environments would imply.

Well, the magicians I've met here are great guys...they love to perform, and see others perform, as well. Especially if it's a lax environment like a party or something. It's all in good fun.

Now, if I walked into a restaurant and saw a magician performing, I'd obviously not go around performing there. I'd respect that that's his place of employment, and as such, "his" (or her) "court" (as I've referred to it as).

But yeah, as for lax environments, there's no ownership involved, and I've yet to meet a magician treat such a place like a drug dealer treats his corner (especially because if it's a party where the magician is not being paid, then it's all in good fun anyway). :)

Edit: Note: If it was in a bar or club, I'd first talk to the guy (or girl) to see if (s)he is getting paid to be there...if not, then my answer applies. If so, then I obviously wouldn't perform. :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results