What is Magic Today?

GarethNg

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2011
Hey guys,

There are a lot of personal thoughts I have on magic and where it is today.

I have been doing magic and cardistry for about 4 years now and I am now quite good at performing. I have progressed and actually seen my progression. Here's the problem. I have a friend at school who recently got into magic and cardistry too because of my influence. I liked the idea of having someone else to relate to instead of talking to someone who has no idea about anything. Anyway, now I regret the idea of trying to get him into magic and here is why: Every time he performs, he does it in a way that completely destroys the point of magic. He doesn't really entertain through his performance but rather through his sleights. And what drives me even crazier is that he can barely do things before he performs them. I have pointed this out but he doesn't listen to me and continues to find more and more effects. He is very overwhelmed by all the material that is available and also ruins it for me. For example, I have worked on my Clip Shift for about 2 years now and it is very fluid and nearly silent. I know the angles and I don't ever flash. When he does it, he almost always flashes and after performing, proceeds to reveal how it's done. I would try helping him but here's the catch:

He didn't even buy the DVD. He never buys DVDs but he downloads them illegally. This really saddens me because I know there are many artists out there who rely on these sales.

If this is how magic is now, what will it be like in 20 years time? Or will magic even exist?

Please post any thoughts/ ideas below.

Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS
Amateurs have existed in every field, artistic or not, since the beginning of time. It's not as big of a problem as you think.

Your main problem is that you're at school.
It's only a problem if you're performing for the same audiences as him. 95% of the people I perform for have never seen a close up magician, either hobbyist or professional, ever before in their life. I don't think I've ever had a spectator say, "I saw a guy doing the trick/sleight you did just then, and I saw him flash, therefore I know how you do your trick."

Honestly, amateurs who screw up do not worry me in the slightest, as long as they're not performing the exact same material for the exact same audiences as me.
The only environment that I can imagine this ever happens is in school.

Magic will persist 20 years into the future. It will exist infinitely into the future. I don't think it's possible for magic to die.

Jun 1, 2009
Someone else posted something like this a while ago, and basically got the same response. You could try just talking to him about how it makes you feel, or buy him a beginners book or something. But TheatreHead is right, it's only because you are at school is why it's such a problem. Once you start performing for strangers, you'll be fine and his mistakes won't affect you at all.

Apr 1, 2009
California
I would just ignore it. I've found myself in similar situations. And I've just ignored it. What resulted was, the audience, even having been exposed to the secret by another performer, having seen my stroke of luck, performing the effect smoothly without flashing, have then announced "You perform this much better than so and so. :D" and they actually enjoy it. It's respected. When they come to see the contrast, they see the talent as well.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results