What Is This Trick?

Sep 1, 2007
So yeah, I just got back from a cruise to the Bahamas (woo!) last Thursday, and while I was cruising, one night there was a magician. His name was Puck, and he was awesome, and his opening trick was amazing. He started talking about this time he got robbed, and how the robber took is ring, his watch, and all his money (which he removed from a wallet, naturally). He then said that the robber put all the items into an envelope, which the magician demonstrated. He then closed the envelope and said the robber was in for a surprise. The magician tore the envelope to shreds, and revealed that the ring was back on his finger, the watch back on his wrist, and the money back in his wallet. So yeah, I was floored. Anyways, I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me what he name of this incredible effect is.

Sep 4, 2007
Tommy Wonder's The Ring, The Watch, and The Wallet routine. Can be found in his great books the Books of Wonder written by Steven Minch (vol 1). Also can be found in his DVDs. RIP Tommy

PTG

Jun 15, 2008
In a cave.
Or you can learn it from his lecture, which I just did last month :D. It's a keeper, but you are going to need two gimmicks, but they are fairly common, so you might already own them.

-PTG

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
Or you can learn it from his lecture, which I just did last month :D. It's a keeper, but you are going to need two gimmicks, but they are fairly common, so you might already own them.

-PTG

Do you mean a live lecture by him?
because that's a little bit improbable. I'm guessing you mean a dvd lecture type thing.

pheew..scared me there for a while.

PTG

Jun 15, 2008
In a cave.
lol yes, I do mean a DVD lecture. Actually it's a VHS. My friend knew him (not well obviously, but he attended several lectures), and I just got a bunch of the lecture videos he recorded.

Sorry for the confusion:D

-PTG

Dec 14, 2007
The trick is NOT Tommy Wonder's (and he never claimed it was). The source is Oswald Rae...however.....

You are using a professional magicians act as a smorgasboard from which to select your tricks. Do you think this is ethically right? Artistically sound?

Do you think the other performer might care? Have you thought about asking the other performer if it is ok for you to do a trick which he makes his living with?

Brad Henderson

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
You are using a professional magicians act as a smorgasboard from which to select your tricks. Do you think this is ethically right? Artistically sound?

As long as he is not copying the artist directly, then yes, it is morally sound in my eyes. If you saw Wayne Houchin all of a sudden put on glasses which were yellow on one lense and pink on the other (that's how my glasses look, but you don't know me!:p) and you really really liked it, what gives him the right to stop you from going and purchasing your own? Or even hand making them for that matter?

Do you think the other performer might care? Have you thought about asking the other performer if it is ok for you to do a trick which he makes his living with?

Brad Henderson

Seeing as though the cruise liner performer did not invent the trick himself - he simply learned it, then even if he did care, he has no right to stop you from learning it yourself.

I disagree with you, but i see where you're coming from.

Sep 1, 2007
Whoa dude, maybe you should take a second to breathe. Should I go find out from Dr. Daley if it's alright for me to use his Last Trick?

I was very impressed with the trick, and I really wanted to see it again, but how could I even find it if I didn't know the title? Plus, I have a routine that I perform for paying gigs, and I have a performance for a group I have already performed for, so I was going to change the routine a bit. I saw the effect and liked it, I thought it would fit well with the rest of my routine. Is there a problem with that?

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
You should ask Mr. Edison next time you change the light bulb.

:D

Whoa dude, maybe you should take a second to breathe. Should I go find out from Dr. Daley if it's alright for me to use his Last Trick?

I was very impressed with the trick, and I really wanted to see it again, but how could I even find it if I didn't know the title? Plus, I have a routine that I perform for paying gigs, and I have a performance for a group I have already performed for, so I was going to change the routine a bit. I saw the effect and liked it, I thought it would fit well with the rest of my routine. Is there a problem with that?

...wait are you talking to me, or Brad?

Last edited by a moderator:
haha, yeah I know that;) - im refering to Tricky Nicky's comment.

haha.

Ah, sorry for confusion :)

Anyway here is my view on "stealing other peoples effects" - when I have read up in a book, or learnt from the creator, or from an adaptation of a magic effect. The creator has offered the person who has read or taught to permission to use the effect.

This magic effect mentioned has been published, and performed and lectured by many magicians. One of which who has taught me this, but, I have entirely forgot his name which makes me feel really bad, but this was years ago (if someone knows his name remind me, he is from the UK and is a black man and is fairly famous and uses this effect to open his stage act), the name will probs come to my mind later.

I am over-protected with my magic effects which I have created, but, over good time, I am sure I will be willing to release the secrets to other fellow magicians.

This is how I view it, I think saying "you saw a magician perform a trick, and you are going to steal it!?" - is a bit extreme.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results