What is your Mind Reading Pose/Face?

Oct 30, 2007
What do you guys do when you are "reading the spectator's mind?" Do you close your eyes? Stare intently at the spectator's eyes. Turn your head to one side that way you can hear the spectator's thought's better? Place your hand over the spectator's head to extract their thoughts? Let us know!

Sep 10, 2007
Truthfully, I try not to do any of those things. I like to be the "off-chance" or "spur-of-the-moment" magician. So, basically, I do the routine kind of nonchalantly (and for those of you who think this is bad showmanship, trust me, it actually does work) (plus, it's more of my real personality). When I get up to the mind reading part, maybe I pretend to concentrate a bit, but more concentration like looking up at the ceiling, as if I'm making some kind of calculation.

Of course, I DO occassionally do what I call the David Blaine pose, where I just look like I'm concentrating like mad. I would NEVER be caught dead doing what I call the Criss Angel huffing in pain thing (although I don't think he's a bad magician).

Aug 31, 2007
California
i convince my friends i can read their eyes and body movements to find out their card or something, and soemtimes i actually i can. but anyways, i'll force their card and i'll stare intently into their eyes and watch for eye movements or blinks or something and tell them that's what told me their card.

Oct 30, 2007
For me I look into the person's eyes. Sometimes I spew out the wrong card then I say something like, "No, that can't be your card because it is red, not black. Right?" My mom is convinced I can read tell what her card is by looking at her eyes and she thinks I can see something when she is concentrating.

I don't know what other people think because I don't live with them, but that is what my mom thinks so I like to look at people's eyes because they might think the same thing as my mom. But people are just blown away when I do Stigmata with a name because they think their thought transfers to your arm or something.

I am probably going to try closing my eyes or plucking the thought out of their mind. Those two might be more 'mind reader'- like.

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
I place my hand on their heart, I feel it's more intimate, (and that way I can cop a feel of the spectator ;) ) But close my eyes and tilt my head to better "hear" their thoughts.

You know when you eat some really bad Chinese food, and then you're on the toilet a few hours later? That's my face.

Seriously? I tend to squint a lot and act as if I have been hit by a gust of wind. I like to grab my heart and theirs as well. It is more dragged out than the way I just explained it, but I think you can get the general idea.

Mitchell

If I'm doing a mind reading peice and, for example, I were to "read their minds" I would make no facial expressions and just stare at them. After about 5 seconds of pure stillness (no hands moving, just simply staring at them without an expression) I move my head back as I deeply blink, as if just getting out of a fixed state. I then rub my eyes briefly with my right hand and say, "... sorry about that". Doing this, I found, is far more creepy than making a certain 'face'; and actually feels to the spectator that something has happened because that feeling of being uncomfortable will be misinterpreted as being something magical.

I rarely do this.. but when I do, I can tell I've unsettled them. Which is my job done - it's made them believe that something happened.

Jordan

P.S. I will mention I only do this sort of thing when performing to a woman, otherwise if it's to a bunch of guys I'll use something much more lightly. :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results