What Kind Of Gaff Coins

Nov 19, 2017
I have been really interested in coin magic and for Christmas I got Expert Coin Magic ( I already have other coin books), but don't have any coin shells, folding coins, etc. I'm not sure which ones I should buy first because neither one of them really can be compared because they are so different. I'd like to know which gaffs other people use\ get better reactions with.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Read the book and see what routines that use gaff coins you would perform and then get the gaffed coins you need.

Absent any consideration of routines, I would go with a quality shell first. The number of different uses for folding coins are more limited.

Nov 19, 2017
Read the book and see what routines that use gaff coins you would perform and then get the gaffed coins you need.

Absent any consideration of routines, I would go with a quality shell first. The number of different uses for folding coins are more limited.
Thanks for the advice I’ll probably go for shell. Coins across will be a better performance wise and cleanliness.

Jul 26, 2016
About 15 years ago, I purchased the "Silver Copper Brass Transposition" coin set from Johnson Products. It is very well made and durable, and has consistently been my favorite coin routine for strolling magic. Unlike Matrix, no table or close up pad is needed for the routine. It gets wonderful reactions from spectators. I think a big reason for why it is so powerful is that a silver Kennedy half dollar held in the closed hand is shown to have magically vanished when the hand is reopened and not one, but two completely different coins, which were openly placed in the pocket a moment before (a brass Chinese coin with a hole in the center and a copper 20 centavo piece), have appeared in the hand in place of the half dollar. Conversely, the half dollar has magically "traveled" to, and reappears in, the other hand. This is only the first in a series of seemingly impossible transpositions and transformations. Sure it takes a bit of practice and finesse to get the working smooth, but there are no real difficult sleights, and you will be repaid many times over in magical dividends. I like to end with a transformation of the half dollar into a jumbo half dollar (not included) using a spellbound change.

Reactions: ParkinT
Nov 19, 2017
About 15 years ago, I purchased the "Silver Copper Brass Transposition" coin set from Johnson Products. It is very well made and durable, and has consistently been my favorite coin routine for strolling magic.[\QUOTE]

Thanks! I’ll go for copper silver, but is it possible to do two sequences of Copper and Silver that could be done for the same group of people one after another?

Nov 19, 2017
About 15 years ago, I purchased the "Silver Copper Brass Transposition" coin set from Johnson Products. It is very well made and durable, and has consistently been my favorite coin routine for strolling magic. Unlike Matrix, no table or close up pad is needed for the routine. It gets wonderful reactions from spectators. I think a big reason for why it is so powerful is that a silver Kennedy half dollar held in the closed hand is shown to have magically vanished when the hand is reopened and not one, but two completely different coins, which were openly placed in the pocket a moment before (a brass Chinese coin with a hole in the center and a copper 20 centavo piece), have appeared in the hand in place of the half dollar. Conversely, the half dollar has magically "traveled" to, and reappears in, the other hand. This is only the first in a series of seemingly impossible transpositions and transformations. Sure it takes a bit of practice and finesse to get the working smooth, but there are no real difficult sleights, and you will be repaid many times over in magical dividends. I like to end with a transformation of the half dollar into a jumbo half dollar (not included) using a spellbound change.

Can you do two Copper and Silver routines in a sequence?

Nov 19, 2017
If I understand your question (and I believe I do), the answer is yes. Two, and even more.

Thanks! I'll try to get this but I'll probably not be able to get Johnson Products due to the price but I try to find a more classic Copper Silver effect and use a switch I already know with my own different coin.

Jul 26, 2016
Sounds good. I highly recommend Bobo's Modern Coin Magic. It is available in paperback for under $10 and contains a wealth of material, including clever methods for switching coins and various copper/silver effects. Good luck!

Nov 19, 2017
Sounds good. I highly recommend Bobo's Modern Coin Magic. It is available in paperback for under $10 and contains a wealth of material, including clever methods for switching coins and various copper/silver effects. Good luck!

Bobo's Modern Coin Magic is a really good book I have it and use it as an index for any ideas of effects I have and look for moves that let me do what I am trying to do. I'll use the Copper\Silver Routine.

trapeze

Elite Member
Jul 28, 2016
USA
An Okito Box would be useful I'll check out some routines using it and see if I want it.
A decent routine can be found in Ganson's Teach In series. I believe it is titled "A New Look At The Okito Box" and can usually be found cheap on ebay.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
The Okito Box is fun. The Ganson and Roth material is great. Additionally, there is a lot of material in Modern Coin Magic and some additional material in New Modern Coin Magic. There also is some neat ideas and thinking in Apocalypse. What got me back into looking at the Okito Box is The Aretology of Vanni Bossi. Some really good stuff there.

Nov 19, 2017
The Okito Box is fun. The Ganson and Roth material is great. Additionally, there is a lot of material in Modern Coin Magic and some additional material in New Modern Coin Magic. There also is some neat ideas and thinking in Apocalypse. What got me back into looking at the Okito Box is The Aretology of Vanni Bossi. Some really good stuff there.

Thanks everybody! I'll try to get the shell and Okito Box and I'll wait for the gimmicked version of Copper\Silver. This is my first time posting on the forums so thanks for giving so many responses.

Reactions: RealityOne
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results